Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Surge vs Alacrity for Gunnary

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Trooper > Commando
Surge vs Alacrity for Gunnary

MVaglin
03.01.2013 , 02:08 AM | #41
On live I think it is worth it, since it does hit hard, and heat is less of an issue. But on PTS I agree it's better to use TSO with DFA.

Yesterday I tried parsing on my ship (they've upgraded the dummies there) and it got weird. Heat became a bigger issue, and I wa unable to reproduce the same results as on fleet. Best I could do was around 2340. Not sure if someone else was applying some sort of debuff on the fleet dummy when I parsed there. Something was off for sure.
http://www.thecircle-guild.com

Akash - Operative Monzcarro - Mercenary
Erekose - Marauder Shatiro - Assassin

Pyrotech Mercenary PvE Guide

oaceen
03.02.2013 , 03:20 PM | #42
here are two fights i did back-to-back with the same setup exactly except parse one had 144 surge / 144 alacrity and parse two had 288 surge / 0 alacrity

i don't have a knight buff on my legacy, so don't accept this as a legitimate parse for comparing it to other classes, but comparing surge vs alacrity for gunnery commandos.

it might be difficult to say one way or the other after these two though. i crit a lot on demo round and grav round on the second parse and crit less than half as often as i should have on demo round for the first parse.

the percentages of total DPS seem roughly even except for demo round. it was 1.27% more of the total dps (~8.7% more damage) on the second parse than the first.
maybe someone with better stat skills can run some numbers to see if those discrepancies should count for an extra 100 dps or not, or maybe some other people can post some parse numbers to compare.

anyway, so my ideal setup now:
crit to ~200 rest power
accuracy to ~100/110% rest surge
no alacrity from stats

still not sure how i will augment. everyone in my guild seems convinced on power augments with maybe an accuracy augment or two to max it out, so i'll probably go with that though.

maybe if they change the disparity between increased GCD/cast-time and ammo regen with alacrity, it will be a lot more worth it to take alacrity. 5% seems to be way more than enough for me.

for healing though, i seem to be going for a lot more crit (~350-450) and going exactly even on surge/alacrity
i still have an immense amount of power, and crit is useful for healing's reactive playstyle and of course the alacrity boost of first responder.

RuQu
03.05.2013 , 12:44 PM | #43
oaceen, thanks for posting up the stats. I've been trying to get someone to post those for a while now.

I ran a quick spreadsheet just looking at the effect of the various stats on the DPS of Grav Round alone. Not a full rotation, but I figured it would be representative.

I see the same effect, with maximum DPS using a split of Surge and Alacrity. I see a DPS loss on having any crit rating at all, though. Even just 10 Crit rating. That may not be born out once the difference in coefficients for all abilities are taken into consideration, but looking at the coefficients alone I think it will. Grav Round has a coefficient of 1.75, compared to 1.9 for HIB, and 2.77 for DR. Full Auto is lower, at 1.1, but also has modifier for weapon damage range and HS is only 1, of course. I think the 1.75 of GR is likely pretty representative.

I see the peak at 195 Alacrity, 93 Surge, holding your 432 Accuracy as fixed. Pretty sure you can't hit that exact number using the slots available, but thought I'd put it up as a guide and see how that works out for you.

Thanks again for the stats.
Brushing off the dust on my Assault Cannon. Time to get back in the fight.

RuQu
03.05.2013 , 12:54 PM | #44
Also, can you post the Max and Min damage on your weapon? The stats on the weapon itself, not the value for max and min damage down below.

oaceen
03.05.2013 , 05:35 PM | #45
did you have the +15% crit rating to grav round set bonus when you did your test?

also Demo Round and Full Auto have the +30% crit multiplier bonus. does that play into increasing crit rating, or does it overall not really matter?

as for the stat budget, it seems we can use 72 (arkanian), 79 (ultimate), and 32 (advanced augment 28s) in our stat budget to reach our desired stats, but i'm not sure if adding any augments for surge/alacrity would be worth more than simply adding power or aim. as i said in my previous post, i was considering maxing out accuracy then going with all overkill/reflex for the remainder.

anyway, per your request, here are the stats on my mainhand: 492.0-913.0

RuQu
03.05.2013 , 08:25 PM | #46
Quote: Originally Posted by oaceen View Post
did you have the +15% crit rating to grav round set bonus when you did your test?

also Demo Round and Full Auto have the +30% crit multiplier bonus. does that play into increasing crit rating, or does it overall not really matter?

as for the stat budget, it seems we can use 72 (arkanian), 79 (ultimate), and 32 (advanced augment 28s) in our stat budget to reach our desired stats, but i'm not sure if adding any augments for surge/alacrity would be worth more than simply adding power or aim. as i said in my previous post, i was considering maxing out accuracy then going with all overkill/reflex for the remainder.

anyway, per your request, here are the stats on my mainhand: 492.0-913.0
The effect of the ability specific surge bonus will certainly increase the value of crit for that ability. For the overall gearing it will depend on the ratio of ability usage. For Demo Round, the power coefficient is very high, so it's hard to say offhand if surge bonus is enough to make that trade off worthwhile.

To get a better answer requires that I get my new version of my simulator up and running. So far I have the new GUI working, the new 2.0 stat calculations appear to be working properly, and I've added proper save and load character functionality. That's what I wanted your full stats with weapon range for, to save a reasonable starting 55 character for calculations.

I have the Gunnery and Combat Medic priority lists coded, and ability variables are in for both of those specs as well. I still need to get the actual simulation functions working to call each ability in turn as appropriate, apply appropriate temporary buffs, add and remove procs, and track the rolling DPS through a given fight length. Once I have that part working I can manually adjust values for now and locate the DPS peak for a given set of stats, and then add in a function for properly rolling through a given stat budget to find the optimal point.

Not sure if all of that will be done before 2.0 comes out, but I'm making decent progress.