Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

How can I kill a pyrotech?

bountakiller
02.20.2013 , 09:54 PM | #1
I'm a scrapper (spec:3/31/7) I have found it increasing difficult to take down pyrotechs. Powertech pyrotechs in particular are proving to be difficult, any tips?.I use the standard rotation of SF+FF then BB-P-BW-SP and SC; I also kite freely utilizing tendon blast and line of site. However, it seems that the pyrotechs DOTs and sustained burst burn me down. My gear is average, a mix of Pve for the 15% chance to crit for BB and War Hero for the expertise, surge and crit., advice will be greatly appreciated.

Carter_Mathis
02.20.2013 , 10:08 PM | #2
I've personally been going for power over crit, but if you learn to time Dodge well with their character animation, you can dodge their first Rail Shot. From there you can proceed to embarrass them.
Vasyel- Prime Defense- Scoundrel, Sage, Commando, Gunslinger, Guardian, Vanguard, Sentinel, Marauder

ktkenshinx
02.20.2013 , 10:57 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by bountakiller View Post
I'm a scrapper (spec:3/31/7) I have found it increasing difficult to take down pyrotechs. Powertech pyrotechs in particular are proving to be difficult, any tips?.I use the standard rotation of SF+FF then BB-P-BW-SP and SC; I also kite freely utilizing tendon blast and line of site. However, it seems that the pyrotechs DOTs and sustained burst burn me down. My gear is average, a mix of Pve for the 15% chance to crit for BB and War Hero for the expertise, surge and crit., advice will be greatly appreciated.
I really need to get my guide stickied. I have a huge section in there about fighting PTs towards the end (link in sig; sorry for the shameless promotion, but it might be helpful stuff).

LOSing, healing, letting DOTs work, etc. are all helpful. But in the end, it really comes down to Energy Shield. Once that thing gets up, you need to stay alive and not try and toe-to-toe the PT; it's too much mitigation to just burst through. As long as Shield is down you should be able to win, at least assuming you have equal gear, full health, AND you get off your opening...but it is not an easy matchup at all.

Now, you can sometimes beat bad PTs even if their Shield is up. If their rotation isn't solid and they don't try and keep you at 10 meters for as much of the fight as possible, you can definitely prevail. But good ones are just nasty.
The Outlaw Miyke Fink: Scrapper, Prophecy of the Five
See you, space cowboys!: Formerly of Brown Coats
---THE SCRAPPER'S HANDBOOK: A PvP Guide---

bountakiller
02.21.2013 , 01:43 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by ktkenshinx View Post
I really need to get my guide stickied. I have a huge section in there about fighting PTs towards the end (link in sig; sorry for the shameless promotion, but it might be helpful stuff).

LOSing, healing, letting DOTs work, etc. are all helpful. But in the end, it really comes down to Energy Shield. Once that thing gets up, you need to stay alive and not try and toe-to-toe the PT; it's too much mitigation to just burst through. As long as Shield is down you should be able to win, at least assuming you have equal gear, full health, AND you get off your opening...but it is not an easy matchup at all.

Now, you can sometimes beat bad PTs even if their Shield is up. If their rotation isn't solid and they don't try and keep you at 10 meters for as much of the fight as possible, you can definitely prevail. But good ones are just nasty.
Thx for advice, I read your guide it was very helpful. I try to remember to utilize your advice in fights.

AngelofCain
02.22.2013 , 11:45 AM | #5
also if you are not all there in the head (like me), going toe to toe with p/ts is cake.

When your initial engagement happens, You can pop shield probe to mitigate their initial dmg and toxin scan their fires. when your health drops to 60-50 percent you need to pop evasion/dodge, this will help prevent them from getting some super hard hitting railshots off. When they pop energy shield, well, you can vanish and wait it out or you can just keep trucking, 2k hits through their shield makes people panic alot.

So toe to toe is possible if you are good at staying behind them.

Also, fun fact, Carbonize stream or whatever they do, doesn't break stealth. so save your cc break and crap.
Hallow, ägronä, <Status unknown> -(Concealment Operative)
Elite Warlord (since1.2) // Warzone Annihilator

randiesel
02.23.2013 , 05:49 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by AngelofCain View Post
Also, fun fact, Carbonize stream or whatever they do, doesn't break stealth. so save your cc break and crap.
Plus that aoe Carbonize is only a 2.5 sec stun vs the single target one which is 5 secs, where they usually thrown down both grenades (or whatever they are). So don't pop your cc-breaker during the 2.5 sec stun, b/c they expect that and will then use the 5 sec stun and get both grenades and likely a Rail Shot since you're cc-ed.

I forget the exact ability names, my vanguard obviously uses Plastique and I've never looked into the mirrored class names.
Covert-sin
Covert-ops

LordExozone
02.23.2013 , 05:58 AM | #7
It's best to use Toxic Scan only once to clear the immolate dot asap, it is generally used as a 10 meter range opener to allow for a first railshot, and due to the hefty heat cost of it they probably won't reapply it. Don't use Toxic Scan freely to remove the Combustible Gas Cylinder dot unless you are outside of 10 meter range, as it costs you a GCD where you could have done damage and they can re-apply it instantly.

Regardless, Powertechs are probably the hardest nut to crack for DPS operatives. I have noticed several smart operatives starting with a sleep dart, followed by unstealthing and casting orbital bombardment, followed by a restealth, then they open up. Its devastating as you get the already nasty operative burst enhanced by orbital bombardment ticks.

If they break the sleep dart you can flash grenade them and heal up halfway through the fight.
Kote! Kandosii sa kar'ta, Vode an.
Mandalore a'den mhi, Vode an. Bal kote, darasuum kote,
Jorso'ran kando a tome. Sa kyr'am nau tracyn kad, Vode an.

NoTomorrow
02.23.2013 , 06:04 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by ktkenshinx View Post

Unfortunately you cannot have guides like yours or mine stickied because bioware doesnt want users to think that they are endorsing some specific playstyle in pvp. They will only sticky some guides about some pve rotations and basic stuff like that.
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Scatter Bombs are meant to be a fun bit of extra damage that occurs when you roll into or away from the action. That said, we’re okay with you trapping an unsuspecting enemy for a “wall bang” every now and then.

AngelofCain
02.23.2013 , 07:38 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by NoTomorrow View Post
Unfortunately you cannot have guides like yours or mine stickied because bioware doesnt want users to think that they are endorsing some specific playstyle in pvp. They will only sticky some guides about some pve rotations and basic stuff like that.
well that's bogus. Personally I think Miyke's guide is way more detailed than mine, mines just like, this is what I do, and what I learned. But it's pretty dang user friendly.
Hallow, ägronä, <Status unknown> -(Concealment Operative)
Elite Warlord (since1.2) // Warzone Annihilator

Luckeyduckey
02.28.2013 , 03:56 PM | #10
Respecc lethality, then use this:

Sleepdart (If breaks, flash bang) apply dots and Hemorrhaging Blast (Only works in 2.0, when dots don't break CCs), Cast Flyby, Vanish, get behind him, and when the first tick of FFlyby hits, hit him with Shoot first, Blaster Whip, then Wounding Shots him twice. You can dirty kick him if he doesn't have full resolve. This opener should be more than enough of a lead, if it doesn't kill him.

This also works for Scrapper, just don't apply dots.
Sleepdart, Flyby, Restealth, FR, Shootfirst on tick of Flyby. Then Vital Shot + Sabotage Grenade, Sucker Punch, Backblast + SF. Throw in dirty kick if he isn't full resolve, or the root to keep him in the Flyby. This should smoke the Pyrotech.
Expløit
Ønslaught
Eradicate