Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Stop forcing PVP on PVE servers


Morden's Avatar


Morden
02.21.2013 , 09:45 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by schnopsnosn View Post
Let's turn this the other way round:
Stop forcing PvE on PvP-players.

I am NOT a PvP-player, but your ridiculously small mindset ticks me off to be honest.
I am curious on how my mindset is small? I am not alone in my frustration.
They have PVP servers for PVP-players.
Star Cruiser Crash Crash

Morden's Avatar


Morden
02.21.2013 , 09:46 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Alavastre View Post
I don't know, but I think the dead give away is the "PVP" on the side of the quest for the PVP quests. Tell me if I'm wrong here.

You don't have to have a direct PVP quest to encourage PVP. Taking a node in an instanced PVP match isn't PVP, but you do it. Why? Because it encourages other people to take it from you and therefore PVP!

I wish natural selection was more prevalent in our society.
My understanding of the reason for having the open PVP missions is about competing for resources/objectives. If this was the case, I could accept that people would compete through PVP. I can accept that the "threat of PVP" is a good motivator for people to stick to lines (think fighting in hockey - enforcers enforcing). Both of these would be reasonable. My gripe is with the PVP, "just because I can" or "just so that you can't complete your objective." Those are the players that just hang around the objective killing people for sport.
I also think that they should include PVP objectives that require PVP. So when players engage in PVP, it is because it is a requirement (to complete) rather than just being a jerk
Star Cruiser Crash Crash

Morden's Avatar


Morden
02.21.2013 , 09:56 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by SWGEvictee View Post
Ok OP. So you say your quitin because you can't complete a PvP quest without other players engaging you in PvP. Well if you must. Have a good life, I doubt you'll be missed terribly.
It isn't just because of that. My main point was to focus on the lack of a PVP requirement in the so called "PVP" quests which leads to "griefing." If there was PVP required for the missions, then I wouldn't complain about it at all. I would even give them kudos for providing new PVP content for those who enjoy PVP. There is also the added frustration of getting flagged for unknown reasons (not in open PVP area.)

Imagine if you were in line at Mc Donalds. You accidentally make eye contact with someone else in line, and now you have to either engage them in conversation (PVP), or step outside for 5 minutes before returning. Of course, you could just avoid Mc Donalds, but why should you have to?

Before anyone starts pointing out this is just a game, not real life, I'll say it again. "Its each player's time." Whether it is "real life" or "in game."
Star Cruiser Crash Crash

Royox's Avatar


Royox
02.22.2013 , 07:09 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Morden View Post
I know, you don't have to participate in the PVP missions for the Gree event. However, with the limited amount of new content, I would like to be able to take advantage of all of it. There are players who just hang around the PVP area and attack other for NO REASON. I say no reason, because they do not get anything out of it, other than the satisfaction that they wasted someone else's time. They do not get rep; they do not get commendations. There is no reward, just grief. The fact that 95%+ players appear to play nice, and avoid PVP, should tell everyone something. They don't want to engage in useless PVP. They just want to enjoy the content.

There is also an imbalance, since most players are in PVE gear. Those in PVP gear have a significant advantage.

I have cancelled my subscription, and do not plan to renew it any time soon. This is not the first time this issue has been raised, but it apparently has fallen on deaf ears.
The gree event is a PVP event.
ilum is the PVP planet of SWTOR.

So...what's the problem of doing PVP while doing PVP events on a PVP planet?

Morden's Avatar


Morden
02.24.2013 , 06:01 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Royox View Post
The gree event is a PVP event.
ilum is the PVP planet of SWTOR.

So...what's the problem of doing PVP while doing PVP events on a PVP planet?
If it is a PvP event, where are the rewards for actual PvP? You don't have to attack, or be attacked, by anyone in order to do the event. I imagine they used that area, for lack of a better area. A lot of otherwise wasted space.
Star Cruiser Crash Crash

PetFish's Avatar


PetFish
02.24.2013 , 08:32 PM | #16
It seems many words have had their official meanings changed lately:

The new definition for "quitting" should be officially changed to "I'm not going to quit but instead I'll just *tell* people I'm going to quit and just keep posting anything I feel I want to whine about".

Another definition that needs changing is "misery", and how we somehow enjoy other peoples' misery. A homeless person or a drug addict, that's misery, and I doubt anyone enjoys it. Getting killed while in an open world FFA area is not misery at all, it's good times.

The last one has to be 'griefing'. Now, no matter what anyone does, if some person doesn't like it it's somehow 'griefing'. All I have to do is win a speeder race to a mineral node in front of someone and it's automatically griefing. Win a roll for the rare pet drop: grieifing. Scavenging materials from all the dead robots laying around: grieifing. I bought that item off the GTN when you wanted it: grieifing.

If you're gonna quit, then quit, nobody cares but you or what you have to say but yourself. So buh-bye and just don't post here again. Do what you say you're gonna do and just quit already.
Need a referral link? Here's mine if you want to help me out:
http://www.swtor.com/r/SYTfDw
Need help with any Datacrons? Look me up:
Harbinger | D'alari'ia Republic | F'alconi'ia Imperial

Rainflake's Avatar


Rainflake
02.24.2013 , 08:53 PM | #17
If this event has taught me anything, it's that people are amazingly reluctant to see the other side's view. PvEers complain that they're getting killed in PvP zones, PvPers complain that people whine about getting killed when they willingly entered a PvP area.

I'm a PvEer. Definitely. And every time I go in that PvP area, I know I can get killed. In fact, given that I'm a n00b in PvP matters, it's pretty much a certainty that, if someone gets the whim, I won't be coming out on top. I just want to go in there and complete my mission. That's all. I don't care about killing other players, I just want to complete my mission. In this case, the heroic; it's easier in the PvP area. If I get attacked, I may fight back, or maybe I'll ignore the other player and let him kill me. When it happens, it happens because I chose to do the mission in the PvP area, rather than in the PvE area. Yes, it's free for all, so it can happen.

Do I believe it should happen? No. That's why you won't find me sitting in that area randomly ganking someone because I think I can get away with it. I believe in respecting others, in letting them achieve their goals so long as their goal isn't interfering with mine.

So, OP, accept that it happens. I understand that you want to complete all the missions, I do too, and it's very unpleasant when someone has the power to interfere with your progress, without any reason other than that it's possible. But in the end, you chose to go into the PvP area.

Anyone else, I'm not excusing ganking. I still disapprove of it, and while I'm not saying all PvP activity should be by appointment, surely there must be better forms of amusement than hanging around in a group and killing lone players, or hanging around in stealth and waiting for players to be involved in PvE combat before attacking so they're easier to kill. Gankers may delude themselves into thinking that sort of behavior is just clever tactics, but it isn't. Playing with the sole goal of causing other players to complain so you can then gloat at them, do you really need that to feel good about yourself?

inunonichan's Avatar


inunonichan
02.25.2013 , 03:32 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Royox View Post
The gree event is a PVP event.
ilum is the PVP planet of SWTOR.

So...what's the problem of doing PVP while doing PVP events on a PVP planet?
It seems everyone needs to drop their two cents in, so I guess I'll do the same. What all the people arguing for PVP in this thread seem to keep missing is that we are talking about a PvE server, which by the above person's logic would dictate that there be no PVP at all. For once, just stop and understand that point. It's a PvE server, which is a fundamental choice you make at the beginning of your career on said server. It basically asks you to choose which form of social interaction you want in the game. Since the primary role of a PvE server is to cater to people who are not interested in PvP as an overarching game mechanic, most of your points are invalid. Furthermore, let's discuss what PvP can be about. It either involves 2 sides which are willing to do battle, or one side which does and one that does not. In a PvP server, I guess they both work. I don't know because I've never played on one, and frankly I could care less. But in a PvE server, only the former situation should be allowed, in my opinion. SWTOR achieves this with warzones and duels. WZ rewards players who complete PvP event with PvP gear, with some PvE content that is by no means exclusive. Having open world PvP FFA, again, is not something I like, but I don't mind terribly, because it doesn't take away from my experience in the PvE content that I want on my PvE server, as implemented on Tatooine. This issue has much more relevance when applied to the Gree event. It lasts for 2 weeks, and being restricted from PvE content on a PvE server because of PvP areas allowing ******es to blockade my efforts to complete quests, again on a PvE server, is where I feel the line should be drawn.

I will freely admit that I am not very good at PvP, only occasionaly queue for WZ, and am mad at having to fend off random people attacking me. Not having to deal with ******es like this from preventing my advancement is what made my choice in servers obvious. Sure, the quests are labeled PvP, I'm not blind. But why am I being called foolish for doing the quest, when something as easy as saying I am on a PvE server should clear that up quickly. It's not the fact that people are able to PvP in the zone that's the problem as much as the PvE content being placed in a PvP zone, when we made the choice of selecting a PvE server.

I hope saying PvE server every other sentence drives it into some of the more bull headed people I see arguing this issue that there is indeed a server where PvP is available and encouraged, but the one I and the OP are on is not one of them.

Stoofa's Avatar


Stoofa
02.25.2013 , 03:37 AM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Morden View Post
It sounds like you take pleasure in the misery of others.

P.S. The game is just a game, but my time is my time. Its odd that if people are rude/mean in "real life" it is considered bad, but when it is in a game its considered "fun."
Then why are you spending "The time that is your time" participating in a PvP zone when you have no interest in actually doing PvP?
Just seems mad that you'd spend your time doing something you don't enjoy - but then have a go at somebody in the same zone as you doing something they do enjoy - PvP.

-DarK-HorsE-'s Avatar


-DarK-HorsE-
02.25.2013 , 03:55 AM | #20
Just wanted to throw in here...

So if a PvE server is strictly non PvP then why are there WZ's? Rated at that, which are usually for the extremely dedicated PvPers.

Someone stated that people are killing others for no reason... Here is my reason for wiping a line: I have better **** to do than stand in a line. Some of the lines I have seen the people will blow up before they even make it up to turn in. Everyone is flagged in this area and that means survival of the fittest. The Ancient Gree droid has a long respawn timer why wait and take your chances that someone else downs him and you have to wait even longer? If I have room in my party I will invite if it looks like someone is waiting for it. I play a game to have fun and actually play not stand there and stare at the back of someone's head for the duration of my gametime. I don't go around smoking everything that moves but I will remove a line or take on another guild for the FUN of it.

You only gain a little Rep from the PvP area, if the thought of having to do a little PvP turns you off enough you won't go in. Just like for the PvPers if they don't want to run around and grind the dailies nobody is forcing them to.... But then again they kinda are forced to arent they if they want the Grey Tokens for the Legacy weapons... So who should be complaining?
Survival Strategy
Rock-steady
Para'mountDoc'u'up