Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

20 Powertechs and... 200 Mercenaries???

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
20 Powertechs and... 200 Mercenaries???

starwarsmarsian
02.20.2013 , 05:56 AM | #1
Why are there so much more Mercs than PTs? Now, in my whole SWTOR 'career', I have seen like 20 PTs against 200 mercs. I would get the feeling Mercenary is not just an adv class, but a class, while there is a rare selection of PT's. I'm a Powertech myself, and I love it. They have flame sweep and carbonize, people! I also think the information when choosing an adv. class is too vague.

Mercenary
Two blaster pistols, heavy armor

Powertech
One blaster pistol, heavy armor

Show skill tree => Come on, when I was a newbie, I understood the hell of what a skill tree was.

This makes newbies think Mercs are automatically more powerful than PTs.
Horsan, level 50 Powertech

yoomazir
02.20.2013 , 10:54 AM | #2
Indeed, my main is a merc because when I started this game and I went to pick my advanced class, from what the 2 mofos were saying, merc was hinted as the dual wielding gunho dps, it took me months and endgame pve/pvp to find out I was tricked...

Those 200 mercs you see around in fleet? Most of them had the same tought, most of them will reroll, just like I did.

Stressfire
02.20.2013 , 04:24 PM | #3
I had a basic idea of what I was getting into when I rolled my Merc as my first toon.

I don't really pvp, so no viability worries there

Heck, if we're just being honest.....it was the dual-wield capability. Merc had me at "hello" with the twin blasters

PT just didn't have the cool-factor for me. That, and I didn't want a tank

Having said that, I have a short attention span - I'm currently enamored with Sniper

Skullbash
02.20.2013 , 05:01 PM | #4
That's strange, its pretty much the opposite on my server, with powertechs everywhere and a small group of mercenaries. But I'm on a pvp server, so I guess that could be a factor.

Vyerix
02.20.2013 , 05:22 PM | #5
From what I have noticed. It seems rather balanced in amount of PT and Mercs I have seen. I prefer playing as a Powetech.

SithKoriandr
02.21.2013 , 08:16 AM | #6
Some of us like having Dual Blasters!
"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more...than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so *********** what." - Stephen Fry

Stressfire
02.21.2013 , 09:58 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by SithKoriandr View Post
Some of us like having Dual Blasters!
See? lol

I'm on Jedi Covenant - PT tanks are actually fairly common

Killtastrophe
02.22.2013 , 12:35 PM | #8
I made the mistake of rolling a Mercenary as my first 50 a long time ago in a galaxy far away.

I'll never touch one again.

Next was a 50 VG then 50 Jugg for variety.

Now back to PT with a 30 currently.

Eclipsith
02.24.2013 , 01:11 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by starwarsmarsian View Post
Why are there so much more Mercs than PTs? Now, in my whole SWTOR 'career', I have seen like 20 PTs against 200 mercs. I would get the feeling Mercenary is not just an adv class, but a class, while there is a rare selection of PT's. I'm a Powertech myself, and I love it. They have flame sweep and carbonize, people! I also think the information when choosing an adv. class is too vague.

Mercenary
Two blaster pistols, heavy armor

Powertech
One blaster pistol, heavy armor

Show skill tree => Come on, when I was a newbie, I understood the hell of what a skill tree was.

This makes newbies think Mercs are automatically more powerful than PTs.
Expect more Mercs when 2.0 hits because we finally get a good CC, electro net.

drgjed
02.24.2013 , 02:18 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Eclipsith View Post
Expect more Mercs when 2.0 hits because we finally get a good CC, electro net.
Because Consussion Missle and Electro Dart don't work...
Quote: Originally Posted by BunnyMage View Post
"Dear MMO maker. I have found that something in the game is still somewhat challenging. Please nerf it."

I really hate the mainstream sometimes.