Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Gree Event - Critiques and Praise

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Gree Event - Critiques and Praise

AshlaBoga
02.17.2013 , 07:29 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by actorman View Post
And yep, did the last one and I can do barrels if I really want to. But I never do jedi/sith for my endgame characters, I just do them for the story, so not a big loss.
So the last event was more for you and this event is more for me (my main is a sorc, my alts a jug and my pub's a sent).
Typhojem Legacy, Jung Ma server
VICIOUS
Lord of Corruption

AsheraII
02.17.2013 , 07:35 PM | #22
I just don't like that the PvP area is Free For All, but then, I generally play on a PvE server. I can see how it'd be quite dull to a PvP server if the area was factionbased PvP. I'm completely fine with the BOL weapons being unabtainable during the first 2 weeks. These weapons are the most desirable rewards, so they should take longest to get: several visits. Yes, it's that simple and straightforward to me. 3-4 visits before one can even buy them is perfectly fine with me.
. . . . . . ▀‼▀▀▀▀
__=##(▀▀[Φ]▀▀▀▀‼‼▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀‼▀▀!
|####/ ( /==|####/

Yndras
02.17.2013 , 09:11 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by iamthehoyden View Post
Ok, the good:
- An event!! Yay!! I'd rather have an event with serious flaws than nothing any day. It breaks up the monotony, makes the game feel more alive, and gives you something new to do.

- Reoccurring! Wise decision, saves on development costs which hopefully translates into events being a more regular thing.

- New gear! (And specifically armor without huge shoulder pads - I like this.)

- BOL hilts and other weapons!

- World bosses.

- Some purpose for Ilum beyond dailies (oh wait).

The bad:
- 1# How easy it is to be flagged for pvp on a pve server. I don't want to do open world pvp so I don't do the missions in the FFA area, however, I still managed to get flagged multiple times due to flagged people running through aoes and my comp healing a flagged group member while in pve content. Engaging in PVP should always be a choice, not something you're tricked into.

-#2 Drop rate on the Supplemental Research mission (aka the kill-a-gazillion-critters mission). Elites and strongs should always drop the chips and, instead, rarely do. The regular mobs seem to have a slightly better drop rate.

-#3 Dailies - More fricking dailies. No puzzles, very little exploration, no mechanics (like the plague in the rakghoul event), just dailies.

#4 No weapon by the time the event ends - I find it really odd that we will not be able to get to even one BOL weapon by the time the event ends. I understand that we can game the system by stockpiling rep trophies to use in the weeks after and the vendor will still be there, but to end the actual event with no weapon is kind of a letdown.

And in the category of "Huh?" is the storyline here. Why are we willingly providing bucket-loads of detailed data about our combat capabilities to a group of relatively unknown aliens who are neutral and have their own agenda?? Naivety run-amok here.

So thank you for the event. My hope is that given that it is reoccurring, some of these issues, such as the drop rate and the dailies-dailies-dailies mantra will be adjusted in the future..
I have a weapon.
Layda, Sentinel - Hoarus, Scoundrel
Bandeeto, Mercenary

iamthehoyden
02.17.2013 , 10:57 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Yndras View Post
I have a weapon.
Indeed.
aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?
---------------
Fan Fiction: My Name is Solomon Crae The Man in the Box

Rafaman
02.18.2013 , 09:43 AM | #25
So first the praise.

Love the layout on Illum. Very creative. And it works. PvE missions can be completed easily without ganking. PvP missions are saved for last in the center and for the most part self contained.

The missions themselves are quite easy and fun. Spawn timers are very fast so no real problems with camping and the Torvix mobs in particular are just close enough together to make it interesting and fun due to some splashing.

The WBs are great. Not a huge challange by any means, but they are what they should be for an event. Love the fact that there are two of them. The fact that they are in caves helps a bit. It's a quasi instance. But... it can still be exploited by griefers, but I'll get to that in a minute.

Xeno is excellent. Love that BW included and Ops component. Would have preferred a full Ops, but Xeno is fine as and event boss. HM is challenging enough for me and I'm left wanting more, which is a good thing.

The armor looks great and several of my alts will benefit greatly. The BoL lightsaber will be put to great use as I pass hilts around my different toons. Over all the rewards seem adequate.

Last but not least, love the legacy reputation system. I have several 50s so getting my rep points to Champ will not be a problem. Love that you can just stack trophies in inventory for later use. The weekly rep cap seems artificial, but it is understandable.

My critiques. There are only a couple.

1. The Gree Relay mission seems like an after thought. I don't mind scavenger hunts, but this isn't one. You just travel do different planets and talk to a droid. There is no variance in the story at each planet. No variance in how to accomplish the task. Just a boring conversation. Would have been nice to make each planets relay into a different skill check. One a puzzle, one a ranged mob encounter, one a melee, one a creative conversation mini game... etc. etc.

2. WB exploits are alive and well like in other games unfortunately. Had one incident of griefing by a bunch of idiots who taunted the WB to reset. There has to be a way to stop this from happening.

Over all, 8/10 stars. Thanks for the event BW. I'm glad you delivered as promised. You re-energized my guildies and we are having a great time.

Wodaz
02.18.2013 , 09:55 AM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by actorman View Post
I have a question for those of you who have some of the gear. I'm trying to decide if the even is worth it to me. Can the gear be used at any level like legacy gear, if you gut it or whatever, or do you have to be 45? Because if you have to be 45 why would I bother doing all this to get gear that is only good for 5 levels?
Sadly the gear is for lvl 45, I was kinda bummed about this too. I was hoping it was just set to a certain legacy lvl or be just like the other adaptive gear and have no minimum lvl.
"Wodaz here! I'm all about havin' fun. You know, get a couple cocktails in me, start a fire in someone's kitchen. Maybe go to SeaWorld, take my pants off. Anyway, I'm kinda known for my catch phrase WHAMMY!!!!!"
Free Character Transfer and stuff -----> http://www.swtor.com/r/f39w6v

zorroazul
02.18.2013 , 10:01 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Wodaz View Post
Sadly the gear is for lvl 45, I was kinda bummed about this too. I was hoping it was just set to a certain legacy lvl or be just like the other adaptive gear and have no minimum lvl.
You know something? That's actually my biggest complain from this event. Everything is great, quests and pvp are lots of fun, and the gear is totally awesome! In fact, they would look great on a fresh started Imperial Agent and Trooper (particularly the Champion set), but alas...lvl 45 requirement to wear? What happened to the "legacy" factor?

LanceCorporalDan
02.18.2013 , 10:03 AM | #28
My complaint is that they tried to revive world pvp with this event but none of the missions are pvp related at all, which is why you see ques in the FFA area. If bw would overhaul the nonexistent world pvp system and reward those who wish to partake in it then I would be happy. But this simply is not the way.
Neves - 55 Vanguard
Dahkaras - 55 AssassinKeelaran - 55Juggernaut
Kalkaran - 55 MercenaryKallim - 55 Operative

iamthehoyden
02.18.2013 , 11:46 AM | #29
You had a few in here that I agree with but had overlooked:
Quote: Originally Posted by Rafaman View Post
So first the praise.

Love the layout on Illum. Very creative. And it works. PvE missions can be completed easily without ganking. PvP missions are saved for last in the center and for the most part self contained.
The split between pve and pvp areas was very well done. Aside from my issues with unintentional flagging, this was a good way to provide content for both pve and pvp players.

Quote:
Xeno is excellent. Love that BW included and Ops component. Would have preferred a full Ops, but Xeno is fine as and event boss. HM is challenging enough for me and I'm left wanting more, which is a good thing.
Yep, Xeno was a good op boss encounter. That it has a couple different versions speaks well of the planning.
aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?
---------------
Fan Fiction: My Name is Solomon Crae The Man in the Box

MariaD
02.18.2013 , 12:53 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Rafaman View Post
So first the praise.

Love the layout on Illum. Very creative. And it works.
I would like to extend my praise to the little, but well-designed features of the layout. For example, there is a bridge leading to the Republic base. If you are chasing someone who tries to run for cover, you can push them off the bridge (and catch them) - or maybe they will make it to the cover and pull you to your death to the turrets. Or maybe they will push you off the bridge and run.

There are a lot of neat places to hide, line-of-sight your enemies, and otherwise use the terrain in fights. For example, there is a deep narrow crack just opposite to the Republic base. You can see from there without being seen. "The ceiling Sith is watching your base!"

The scenery, the skies, the Gree tech is absolutely gorgeous. I am taking a lot of screenshots.
Quicker
Easier
More seductive