Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

30 Items at 20% Chance to RE Each and Not a Single Hit? Yeah, RIIIIIIIIIGHT....

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
30 Items at 20% Chance to RE Each and Not a Single Hit? Yeah, RIIIIIIIIIGHT....

Ahl-Vinn
02.17.2013 , 10:08 AM | #1

Just RE'd 2 different items, 15 each, both with 20% chance to RE. And?

NOTHING.

20%? Yeah, right. You're going to tell me that 30 items, each with a 20% chance to RE didn't ONCE hit within that 20% range?

What unseen element is it, exactly, that stops the random rolls in RE'ing from differing? For those of you who don't know, computers are unable to generate truly random numbers; their choice-selections are based off a time-clock, multiplied, sometimes several times within the same algorithm, off of said time-clock. Is it based on the minute? It should be on the hundreths of seconds.

This is far from the first time that I've wasted hundred of thousands of credits, either, in pursuit of the same thing. It wasn't level 47 stuff, either; the Might Mods were level 29, and the Blue Vehemence Crystals were level 31.

We need either a re-write of the "random"-number code in SWTOR, or a queue to guarantee that you get under-50 items to RE after so many tries.

/EndNerdRage

Ahlvis, of Server Begeren Colony, SWTOR
Ahl-Vinn, formerly of Servers Bria and Starsider, SWG
Long live <THE JEDl ORDER>, 2004 - Present
Long live the former Server Vrook Lamar!

Halacs
02.17.2013 , 10:11 AM | #2
Well I understand your frustration, in theory you could RE 80 or even more of them and get nothing. It's a flat 20% chance each time, not cumulative.

My highest was 54 of one type of implant without a proc....
Proper Dual spec please.
Free flying space combat
Cross server PVP, OP's, & FP's
Fix Ability Delay/misfire

scalienprime
02.17.2013 , 10:24 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Ahl-Vinn View Post

NOTHING.

20%? Yeah, right. You're going to tell me that 30 items, each with a 20% chance to RE didn't ONCE hit within that 20% range?

What unseen element is it, exactly, that stops the random rolls in RE'ing from differing? For those of you who don't know, computers are unable to generate truly random numbers; their choice-selections are based off a time-clock, multiplied, sometimes several times within the same algorithm, off of said time-clock. Is it based on the minute? It should be on the hundreths of seconds.

This is far from the first time that I've wasted hundred of thousands of credits, either, in pursuit of the same thing. It wasn't level 47 stuff, either; the Might Mods were level 29, and the Blue Vehemence Crystals were level 31.

We need either a re-write of the "random"-number code in SWTOR, or a queue to guarantee that you get under-50 items to RE after so many tries.

/EndNerdRage

I REed 9 items last night and had 6 dings. I think I owe you an apology for stealing your successes.

JustTed
02.17.2013 , 10:38 AM | #4
You seem to not understand probability. Truly random sequences will have streaks in them.

AshlaBoga
02.17.2013 , 10:40 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by scalienprime View Post
I REed 9 items last night and had 6 dings. I think I owe you an apology for stealing your successes.
It was my fault too.

I RE'd 12 items and learned 7 so I am also to blame
The dark is generous, and it is patient, and it always wins.
It always wins because it is everywhere.
The brightest light casts the darkest shadow.
Click my Referral Code for free goodies!

Trollokdamus
02.17.2013 , 11:09 AM | #6

NOTHING.

20% chance isn't as high as it looks like.
I'll give you an example from another game. There i had an alchemist who specializes in flask (stims) making, which means he has a roughly 20% chance to create additional flasks at a time. Once i've bought enough regs to create 400+ flasks of different type. Guess how many procs i got from over 400 tries? Between 15 and 20. Yeah, that's it. It's not your average proc rate of course, i just went extremely unlucky.
My point is, anything can happen

ThornKrell
02.17.2013 , 11:13 AM | #7

NOTHING.

/EndNerdRage

You don't understand statistics and probability and the rnd is probably being seeding with one ten millionth of a second the system clock, btw It's possible (but unlikely) that you could even take a stack of a trillion items all with an individual 20% of re and still have nothing reverse engineer.

Izorii
02.17.2013 , 11:14 AM | #8
Highest I managed was 20 and I did think something was broken. However other times I have got it first go. Just luck I guess.

bibobpipop
02.17.2013 , 11:21 AM | #9
I'm working on getting all armormech-schematics....you don't wanna know how much i RE'ed so far :P Either live with it, or...don't :P

PUMA
02.17.2013 , 11:30 AM | #10
It's RNG. So, it's not 20% on 30 items. It's 20% on 1 item 30 times. The more you do doesn't increase your chance to RE. 30 seems a bit much but it has taken me a long time for certain augment 22s to finally get artifact.

Just keep trying. There's no trick really.
Descension - The Bastion
Lowkee - The Rinou Legacy
Guild Website || Join Us