Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Flashpoint Horrors with Level Ranges.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Flashpoint Horrors with Level Ranges.

Wraiven
02.17.2013 , 09:57 AM | #1
Dear Devs,

I understand that you guys want this to be a great experience for players of all levels. That's great that you added level ranges to the queue finder, but the problem is, you have people joining queues for Flashpoints that are way over leveled for them, which causes the XP for people that are under 3 levels to those players to be hindered in a bad way. Mandalorian Raiders for an example, show the level range being level 23 -29. That is a 6 level difference all in itself, that really hurts anyone who is level 23 on the team when a level 29 joins the queue. What's even worse, are there are people who are able to queue for Mandalorian Raiders who are over level 29...which just makes the Flashpoint completely pointless outside of getting the daily done and possibly getting geared up...assuming somebody does not need on items not their class...which happens far too often in this game.

There are those of us who have done the planet quests to death and prefer to run Flashpoints with other players, but when those other players are hindering our XP gain because you guys set the XP ratio at such a small standard when it comes to players being teamed with other players of higher level, it just really takes the game in to a broken state for Flashpoints. You guys need to either consider reducing that XP negative and set the standard higher for level ranges, or reduce the level ranges allowed per Flashpoint *when using the queue finder*.

I'm sure people are getting sick of my Tank queuing up, then when I see players who have joined that are 6 levels higher than me, I drop the queue. It not only causes me not to queue up, but players get sick of waiting on a Tank to queue up as well, I'm sure.

I have done all of the Flashpoints in the game with the lowest level teams possible, every single last one of them are able to be done with a team of the lowest level players allowed...I know, I have tested this personally. So I know having the standard for level ranges is not a necessary evil to complete these Flashpoints successfully. So if there absolutely must be such a difference in level range for these Flashpoints, the least you could do is make it where the XP gain is not broken due to players who are playing by the rules that you have set for us. It's like we are being punished for playing by the rules...and to be honest, I do not believe that is very fair to your players who prefer to level using Flashpoints.

I have done planet quests to death...it's boring, it's solo and requires no cooperation what so ever. I prefer leveling through Flashpoints, PvP, and Class Quests. Please reconsider how you have the current XP system set up...in light of this Flashpoint XP barrier. Thanks.
Republic: Krulex (Shadow) Kn (Guardian) Krll (Sentinel) Wanatrime (Vanguard)
Imperial: Wraiven (Assassin) Krullous (Marauder) Krawl (Jugg) Xin (Jugg)
♠♠♠ The Soulstalker Legacy ♠♠♠
-FIGHT-

Heezdedjim
02.17.2013 , 10:02 AM | #2
I would like to see this addressed, because someone else has pointed out the insanely punitive XP nerf that people suffer when doing normal grouping as well, based on just a couple levels difference. FPs run through group finder, where the groups are randomly assigned and dictated by the system, should deliver the full rated XP appropriate to your level for ALL group members. You should obviously earn less if you're higher level relative to the mobs you're killing, but it is flat out stupid for characters trying to level up using FPs to be advancing at a snail's pace because they keep getting dumped into groups with someone that is just a few levels higher than them.

If this is how it's "intended" to work, then they need to "intend" for it to work differently.

Wraiven
02.17.2013 , 11:18 AM | #3
I know they want to prevent power leveling done by higher levels, but they should at least consider the rules set for the Flashpoints when making decisions about how far apart a level should be before it starts to take away from your XP.
-FIGHT-

Heezdedjim
02.17.2013 , 11:58 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Wraiven View Post
I know they want to prevent power leveling done by higher levels, but they should at least consider the rules set for the Flashpoints when making decisions about how far apart a level should be before it starts to take away from your XP.
Exactly. The sensible thing would be that if a group member is above the highest level in the designated range for the FP, then everyone in the group gets 0 xp. That completely solves the power leveling problem. But as long as you're in the range they have set (i.e., the range at which group finder will try to group you for that FP), then you will get the same XP as if you were running the instance with a full group of people the same level as you, regardless of what level others in the group are. Obviously a full group of 41s would get less than a full group of 38s, but a group of three 38s should not get their XP nerfed just because GF dumped a 41 in with them.

MariaD
02.17.2013 , 12:08 PM | #5
Some lowbie people go to FPs for gear or story. If you want XP, wait till you are at the top level for that FP.
Quicker
Easier
More seductive

Jeweledleah
02.17.2013 , 12:17 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Heezdedjim View Post
Exactly. The sensible thing would be that if a group member is above the highest level in the designated range for the FP, then everyone in the group gets 0 xp. That completely solves the power leveling problem. But as long as you're in the range they have set (i.e., the range at which group finder will try to group you for that FP), then you will get the same XP as if you were running the instance with a full group of people the same level as you, regardless of what level others in the group are. Obviously a full group of 41s would get less than a full group of 38s, but a group of three 38s should not get their XP nerfed just because GF dumped a 41 in with them.
I definitely agree with this.

another problem is the fact that at a highest available level range a lot of the mobs in a flashpoint actually give no experience at all. its not my fault that group finder dumped me into it, i just select everything available when I queue. and its not the fault of the people who get penalized right alongside me.

but I have a feeling that the only way to solve this is to add more flashpoints to leveling range, to add more choices etc. whether bioware will chose to do so, is a different question... though if they make a normal version low level along with max level hardmode? why not? I think it would be great for everyone involved, personally.

Wraiven
02.17.2013 , 02:06 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by MariaD View Post
Some lowbie people go to FPs for gear or story. If you want XP, wait till you are at the top level for that FP.
So your answer is to wait until you practically out level the Flashpoint before running it? Kinda defeats the whole point of this thread, don't you think?
-FIGHT-

MariaD
02.17.2013 , 05:13 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Wraiven View Post
So your answer is to wait until you practically out level the Flashpoint before running it? Kinda defeats the whole point of this thread, don't you think?
Well, I use recommended FP levels as guides, to solve the problem posted in this thread, on my end. I know how to maximize XP in FPs. I need to watch the levels and to run FPs when I am the top level for it. However, I don't HAVE to do that, if I have other purposes - story, fun, or gear. Then I have the OPTION to run FPs in other levels.
Quicker
Easier
More seductive

Mowermanx
02.17.2013 , 07:29 PM | #9
Firstly, this problem is not unique to flashpoints and should not be treated as such, there are other threads on this forum pointing out this discrepancy right throughout from 1 to 49.
It is suggested and encouraged to group on all the planets to do area quests, flashpoints and heroics, and a splash screen even exclaims you get added bonus XP for doing so, and if you're all at the exact same level it probably does, but you cop massive hits to XP if you do so because the chance that everyone will be the same level are about 100 to 1, most probably a lot worse.
When you first land on a planet, the people nearing the end of that planet will be 4 to 6 levels above you and everything between.
There is a complex formula for every level above the lowest, times the amount of players in the group, that docks XP, its just bizarre.
In my opinion, if everyone in the group is within the XP range(ie, they are not grey) then full XP that you would normally get for killing it solo should be awarded, simple as that.

I'll extend my last point for clarity
Currently, if you have a group that has a level 24, 25, 27, 28, the 3 lowest will all lose XP per kill on any enemy, be it in the world, in a heroic or flashpoint.
Now my point is, if with this same group you kill a level 24 droid in the world, heroic or flashpoint, each individual would get the same xp as they would if they killed it by themselves, so no bonus, but most importantly, no penalty.
But if you do have a group that is at par or below, the normal bonuses to xp would apply.

QuevvenXiltyn
02.18.2013 , 12:27 AM | #10
While I can see the problem here, then there are people like me who suddenly realize they need to do that Flashpoint they've been putting off before they fully level out on it. For instance, I have an agent character who I forgot to queue for Hammer Station as yet. Didn't realize it until after I turned 24... and now can't put that character in the queue, which btw is the only way I've managed to get a group for one of those...