Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Test of Repair Costs

Totaltrash
02.17.2013 , 05:16 PM | #41
As requested by several posters, I have incuded a Blue and Green Chest piece in the original table.

These new results are not kind to newbies...

Lesson: Use PVP shells and cheap (sales price) Orange gear if you want to save on repair costs!

tdgesq
02.17.2013 , 06:20 PM | #42
Quote: Originally Posted by Totaltrash View Post
As requested by several posters, I have incuded a Blue and Green Chest piece in the original table.

These new results are not kind to newbies...

Lesson: Use PVP shells and cheap (sales price) Orange gear if you want to save on repair costs!
Total,

Thank you very much sir for this information. You are a credit to the forums. I have done some additional testing that you may want to include.

First, for the same or a very similar amount of damage to any mod-able shell, I am consistently getting a cost of repair / sale price of equipment ratio of 0.08. This is true of artifact, orange, and cartel armor. I will test pvp gear on one of my 50's later. Are you certain that the durability of each item you tested was reduced by the same amount?

Some exciting news for pre-lvl 50's. CRAFTED orange modable armor usually sells for a fraction of the price of other orange modable pieces. What does this mean? Take a look:

1) Orange crafted boots lvl 11 Sale Price: 170 Cost to repair (110/120): 14

2) Orange non-crafted boots lvl 40 Sale Price: 1720 Cost to repair (110/120) : 143

All mods were ripped from these, so they were just the shell. It appears that crafted orange pieces generally have very low resale value to vendors, meaning that they also have very low repair costs. Crafters ftw!

Totaltrash
02.17.2013 , 09:36 PM | #43
Quote: Originally Posted by tdgesq View Post
Total,

Thank you very much sir for this information. You are a credit to the forums. I have done some additional testing that you may want to include.
Thanks!
Yes, I can include it or you could just post another table in this thread yourself. The more info we gather, the more options people will have to choose the best (cheapest) gear set.
First, for the same or a very similar amount of damage to any mod-able shell, I am consistently getting a cost of repair / sale price of equipment ratio of 0.08. This is true of artifact, orange, and cartel armor. I will test pvp gear on one of my 50's later. Are you certain that the durability of each item you tested was reduced by the same amount?
Yes, I'm certain that each item was at 95/100 (115/120 for the adaptive).
I tested each item twice, just to be sure that I get reproducible numbers.
Some exciting news for pre-lvl 50's. CRAFTED orange modable armor usually sells for a fraction of the price of other orange modable pieces. What does this mean? Take a look:

1) Orange crafted boots lvl 11 Sale Price: 170 Cost to repair (110/120): 14

2) Orange non-crafted boots lvl 40 Sale Price: 1720 Cost to repair (110/120) : 143

All mods were ripped from these, so they were just the shell. It appears that crafted orange pieces generally have very low resale value to vendors, meaning that they also have very low repair costs. Crafters ftw!
Correct!

The Warrior Vest (lvl 15) I used in my test was a crafted item and that shell vendored for only 65 credits.
That's not true for all Orange gear - some of the higher level orange stuff from FPs sells for a lot more.

Hence I recommended to re-mod to the cheapest (sales price) Orange gear possible, because only that ensures lower repair costs. Naturally, PVP gear is still the best option, but that's only available at level 50.

tdgesq
02.17.2013 , 10:25 PM | #44
Quote: Originally Posted by Totaltrash View Post
Yes, I'm certain that each item was at 95/100 (115/120 for the adaptive).
I tested each item twice, just to be sure that I get reproducible numbers.
All of my tests were done on 120 durability base. I'm wondering if you are getting different numbers on the adaptive due to B/W (correctly for once, maybe) basing the repair cost on the damage percentage. 95/100 is 0.95, while 115/120 is 0.96. Should still be very close though.

Quote:
The Warrior Vest (lvl 15) I used in my test was a crafted item and that shell vendored for only 65 credits.
That's not true for all Orange gear - some of the higher level orange stuff from FPs sells for a lot more.
And that is very interesting. You have a crafted vest that is 4 lvl's higher than the crafted item I tested, yet it has a significantly lower vendor resale value. I'm beginning to suspect that there isn't a good system in place for pricing crafted items at the vendor, luckily for players since they all seem generally low. Please keep up the good work!

BobaScott
02.18.2013 , 08:39 AM | #45
Just wanted to thank you for the solid work going on here. I was reluctant /too lazy to swap from the end game boots and gloves since they looked fine with my gear, but the repair costs for them are at least twice for my other orange items.

Mercurial_Harpy
02.18.2013 , 09:33 AM | #46
Amazing that we have YET to see a Bioware response truly addressing this issue and what fixes are planned. Multiple threads, hundreds of pages, thousands of views and SILENCE from the Developers for a week as of tomorrow. We got a "it's working as intended" from Beesodd and "we're looking into it" by Joveth last week, then nothing. It's mind-boggling.

The OP took a lot of time and credits to prove that the devs have NO idea what they are doing. Bioware should be embarrassed that a player could quantify what they couldn't or wouldn't and apparently knows their repair ratios better than they do. They pushed 1.7 with no QA because they KNEW stuff was broken; they just didn't care.

Since legacy and the Cartel Market are arguably the best features SWTOR has to offer at the moment, it makes zero sense that they intended to punish the players for using Legacy/Cartel gear. This is clearly a bug, and one they seem to have no intention of rectifying. Sadly, this is exactly what I've been in denial over for the last year.

The inmates aren't running the asylum; the building is empty.

I shudder to think what game-breaking bug will be pushed in the future.

This game had so much bloody potential. What a waste.

~The Argost Legacy~

~Jedi Covenant~

jjmartin
02.18.2013 , 01:06 PM | #47
I just bothered to look at the old Battlemaster orange shells, and they have a resale of 1credit - does this make them the best gear to wear for lowest repair costs?

BobaScott
02.18.2013 , 02:08 PM | #48
Quote: Originally Posted by jjmartin View Post
I just bothered to look at the old Battlemaster orange shells, and they have a resale of 1credit - does this make them the best gear to wear for lowest repair costs?
Yes, it would be the same as the WH gear he uses in the OP.

Royox
02.18.2013 , 02:31 PM | #49
Last Week we were trying to kill Dreadtooth with 10 stacks of his debuff (We did it ) and when I saw the repair bill......109k (I'm full Dread Guard) I was like "oh my god"

Vonric
02.18.2013 , 02:45 PM | #50
Quote: Originally Posted by Royox View Post
Last Week we were trying to kill Dreadtooth with 10 stacks of his debuff (We did it ) and when I saw the repair bill......109k (I'm full Dread Guard) I was like "oh my god"

First Gratz and second the first thing i thought of when you siad "oh my god" was This...
"You can run all your life,But not go anywhere." - Mike Ness