Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Bounty Hunters and rifles

Malchai
02.15.2013 , 08:00 PM | #1
I'm confused as to why bounty hunters are limited to pistols when it makes so much sense for them to be able to equip rifles and scatterguns at least in addition to using pistols. I've done a search in the forums and yielded no results so I'm asking here first.
"The beatings shall continue until morale improves"
- M*A*S*H* 4077th broadcast announcement

jedip_enguin
02.15.2013 , 08:06 PM | #2
Short version - Because Bioware says so.

It was most likely done to create a stronger visual difference between the various archetypes, akin to the reason why Guardians cant use saberstaffs etc.

Though with all today's adaptive armour the idea of distinctive class 'silhouettes' is kinda out of the window these days.
I like big referrals and I cannot lie - http://www.swtor.com/r/Sh6HPh

Blackavaar
02.15.2013 , 08:10 PM | #3
Many of us have asked for the option to use other weapons; Smugglers and Bounty Hunters with Rifles, Imperial Agents with Pistols. Obviously a Sniper would remain limited to Sniper Rifle and a Gunslinger would remain limited to a pair of Pistols, but for the others the option to choose would be nice and does not seem like it would be a problem.

Unfortunately we have never received a dev reply on the subject and the threads are generally moved to the Suggestion Box, buried under a pile of PvP requests and forgotten.

Only the meek get pinched. The bold survive.(███████████████████████████████████║║█[Θ]█]◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙[█]

spiduranche
02.15.2013 , 08:16 PM | #4
Me and my guildies were talking about this subject a few days ago. I honestly would love the idea of using a rifle on my Merc. Being a healing, the option of a rifle over 2 pistols seems more appealing to me. This being said, it could also ultimately change the healing animation from darts, to a beam for the instant cast free heal (attack) ability.

Just saying

AgentJacen
02.15.2013 , 08:24 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Blackavaar View Post
Many of us have asked for the option to use other weapons; Smugglers and Bounty Hunters with Rifles, Imperial Agents with Pistols. Obviously a Sniper would remain limited to Sniper Rifle and a Gunslinger would remain limited to a pair of Pistols, but for the others the option to choose would be nice and does not seem like it would be a problem.

Unfortunately we have never received a dev reply on the subject and the threads are generally moved to the Suggestion Box, buried under a pile of PvP requests and forgotten.

That would give a disadvantage to Snipers and Gunslingers. Plus, they're actually not limited to only using those weapons. You can equip a regular rifle as a Sniper or just one pistol as a Gunslinger.
"Only I've been both Jedi and Sith, and found clarity in the force." -Revan

LanceCorporalDan
02.15.2013 , 08:29 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by AgentJacen View Post
That would give a disadvantage to Snipers and Gunslingers. Plus, they're actually not limited to only using those weapons. You can equip a regular rifle as a Sniper or just one pistol as a Gunslinger.
Yes but not without detrimental effects. People wish to be able to customize their characters to their own preferred images, and I can't blame them. Bw has already allowed us this wih adaptable armor, but not with the weapons
Lieutenant Neves
1st Assault Platoon Commander
ALPHA COMPANY
203rd Republic Expeditionary Legion

DarthVenizen
02.15.2013 , 08:31 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Blackavaar View Post

the original logical reason was that they didn't want people to fight over gear.

While that is still a plenty logical reason for the leveling process, since end game gear drops tokens, you could easily add it in as an option. Just not a thing that would drop normally, (you wouldn't see random rifles with aim)

Then they can get rid of the restriction, it probably won't happen, but hey, one can dream.

*EDIT*

another thing they could introduce would be "adaptable weapons" for force users and adaptable weapons for non force users.

The only problem i see this presenting is one of the ways they seem to want people to be able to quickly identify AC's of players, atm it's very clear cut, adding in adaptable weapons would muddy this up. (still not a really legitimate reason but it's bs they could hide behind)

Malchai
02.15.2013 , 08:33 PM | #8
Well all that is terribly discouraging. Bobba and Jango Fett, IG-88 and many more notorious bounty hunters used rifles, I can see no reason why we should be denied in game the ability to equip them for aesthetics if nothing else. But thanks for the replies.
"The beatings shall continue until morale improves"
- M*A*S*H* 4077th broadcast announcement

DarthVenizen
02.15.2013 , 08:34 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Malchai View Post
Well all that is terribly discouraging. Bobba and Jango Fett, IG-88 and many more notorious bounty hunters used rifles, I can see no reason why we should be denied in game the ability to equip them for aesthetics if nothing else. But thanks for the replies.
jango's primary weapon of choice was dual pistols....

Blackavaar
02.15.2013 , 08:38 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthVenizen View Post
jango's primary weapon of choice was dual pistols....
While Boba Fett's was an EE-3 Carbine Rifle.

Only the meek get pinched. The bold survive.(███████████████████████████████████║║█[Θ]█]◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙[█]