Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why Is Slinger Unpopular In PvP?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Why Is Slinger Unpopular In PvP?

Josewales
02.15.2013 , 10:08 AM | #1
I been messing around with unrated for the past few weeks since I returned to game and got a slinger to 50. I hardly see any slingers nor snipers in pvp.

At first I wasnt crazy about the cover system and didnt want to imagine being limited in pvp with one. But now different story. I actually quite enjoy the slinger in pvp. It didnt take long for me to realize a few things to make the slinger mofo. Example....CCs and Rotations rely on muscle memory & quick keybinds. Nanosecond makes a difference. Also, healers and half beaten players are our prime targets. I find it common chaining players with half health or think they are saving their heals only to be burned down in a couple seconds by the slinger burst damage. Oh a common complaint I been reading, is how mushy we are. I disagree. Conserve your def CDs. If there is a good healer in the group, I tend to save them for when the likes of a marauder picks me. By the time they can CC me, they been bounce back a couple times and kicked...and usually dead when all over. But wiithout our def CDs we are dead. Another thing, we are only good as our team. More targets, the more we can dps in peace. Most cant solo king anyways, so why have such expectations? Cant forget about protecting our healers either...I am always on the look out to bubble and bounce someone that on ours.

I been in blues for the most part and die lots with my team...and always near the top of the leader boards considering how much I die or defend nodes.

Anyways, I am curious why Slingers are not popular in pvp. Is it the stereotype that I was even guilty of before now? I now enjoy the diversity of my slinger very much considering we rely on static mechanics.

Now I can only imagine rated pvp, slinger/sniper must get focused on. Maybe thats why many dont like the slinger?

Tamanous
02.15.2013 , 10:51 AM | #2
Very few know how to be good with them. They seem to be an alt for most players.

The very odd thing is that they are one of the most powerful classes in the game ... and they are getting buffs yet. It seems most players want to play classes where they only have to hit 2-3 skills for 90% of their rotation. A slinger requires 10 or more skills for standard rotations and even more in dynamic pvp fights.

There is the factor though of some maps being more melee friendly and Huttball will always favor the leaper/pullers although I have a blast as a slinger on that map.

I say it is a good thing we see so few overall. It can be a more elite club.

Josewales
02.15.2013 , 11:02 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Tamanous View Post
Very few know how to be good with them. They seem to be an alt for most players.

The very odd thing is that they are one of the most powerful classes in the game ... and they are getting buffs yet. It seems most players want to play classes where they only have to hit 2-3 skills for 90% of their rotation. A slinger requires 10 or more skills for standard rotations and even more in dynamic pvp fights.

There is the factor though of some maps being more melee friendly and Huttball will always favor the leaper/pullers although I have a blast as a slinger on that map.

I say it is a good thing we see so few overall. It can be a more elite club.
Ya and I dont mind the '10 skill rotations' at all...feel free to interrupt one heh. Main reason why I like aim (besides push back) or speed shot is to build energy while casting. I dont mind huttball at all...just dont move around much heh.

Good to hear.

Joesixxpack
02.15.2013 , 02:26 PM | #4
Only things I've heard from others is trouble or dislike with the cover mechanic, or hating the stealth counters. It's a world apart from playing melee and other types for sure. Personally I love the cover, and just revisited an old L38 GS and got him to 50 last week.

I play Sab on GS and Marksman or whatever the left tree is called for Sniper. Agreed about keybind importance. Maybe there's a lot of clickers playing... would explain why we don't see more

Might sound crazy but if it's a tough HB match I'll often move with the ballcarrier to keep the red hordes at bay. Kick that guy starting his big opener in the nuts, drop AOEs, root, flashbang packs or punt them off the catwaks, light 'em all on fire... Damn GS is fun.

Xargyn
02.17.2013 , 09:01 PM | #5
The only complaints I've ever seen are about the cover mechanic. If you have no target, you just drop down in cover. But if you've got someone targeted, you can roll to some place you really don't want to be at. Which is kind of interesting, because I use "roll into cover" on my operative as a gap closer so I love it on him.

But every time I see someone ask in general what's the best ranged dps class for PvP, people say Gunslinger or Sniper.
CE VIP Remember when this was a big deal?

Smuglebunny
02.17.2013 , 09:21 PM | #6
When I read this thread I think what the heck?

Snipers and gunslingers are frequently in warzones. They are very strong in pvp. All specs. The hidden pvp god class. Not squishy, tons of damage and utility/stuns.

My personal opinion is that Shadow/Sin - Sniper/GS are the 2 BEST classes for pvp. Just my opinion.

Not to mention the are they counter class for smash spec melee and have no issues with the stun bubble from 30m out....

Irxyyy
02.19.2013 , 03:56 AM | #7
Sharpshooters are too immobile and lack any escape mechanics, thus they depend on the map a lot - one of the few classes I enjoy playing huttball with, while open flat spaces maps are not fun against any decent opposition. Other more mobile builds work better for scoundrels/ops imo.
// believing is bleeding

NoTomorrow
02.19.2013 , 05:39 AM | #8
People are obsessed with mobility in SWTOR, and anything that remotely resembles stationary class is deemed unpreferable by many. Then you got the massive army of force and glowstick lovers. In the end you find yourself to be the only sniper out there in many many warzones.

Another important factor is the team. Sniper grows exponentially stronger the better his team is. It's a class capable to capitalize extremely well on how good his team is handling the opponent, how well it can keep him busy. Sniper allone cannot be the driving force behind pushes, he needs the melee DPS, tanks and other guys doing the heavy lifting for him.

The only map where you can safely rely on yourself only is huttball. You are pretty much self-sufficient on huttbal, capable to follow your own agenda. On other maps you are just one important component, unable to act alone.
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Scatter Bombs are meant to be a fun bit of extra damage that occurs when you roll into or away from the action. That said, we’re okay with you trapping an unsuspecting enemy for a “wall bang” every now and then.

smellmop
02.19.2013 , 09:34 AM | #9
people that say Sharp Shooter/Marksman are too immobile are just incorrect....sure you have to preface some of your big hitters with going into cover, but one should be moving in and out of cover often to keep range as well as proc your instant charged burst, and refresh your ranged defense and ballistic dampeners ?sp?
-Tarro Blood -> Corellian Run -> The Shadowlands-
Gunslinger: Hasenbensoba Vanguard: Ajmurphy; Scoundrel: Obi'haave; Sorcerer: Impossibreu Guardian: Shrėk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=labL_KAD2rk

Irxyyy
02.20.2013 , 01:05 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by smellmop View Post
people that say Sharp Shooter/Marksman are too immobile are just incorrect....sure you have to preface some of your big hitters with going into cover, but one should be moving in and out of cover often to keep range as well as proc your instant charged burst, and refresh your ranged defense and ballistic dampeners ?sp?
Obviously, but thats still immobile to me in comparison to other classes who're constantly on the move and have different mechanics to cover distances (speed boosts, jumps, pulls). Gunslinger can't use most of his abilities while out of cover (esp the sharpshooter) and is slow, taking cover also takes time, plus he is very dependant on the map structure and the presence of cover near the fight spots.

He is an ok support class to have in a group I suppose, but still has limited utility and you can't expect good group play from a pug.
// believing is bleeding