Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

I keep messing up!

Lacavabill
02.13.2013 , 11:49 AM | #21
I would also look at Noxxic

would help with your tree if you want. and has a basic understanding of what to do then build from there
Belkas 50 Shadow - TANK Maj 50 Sawbones- Healer
Republic Guild - The Enclave Legacy
Rank - Officer
The Enclave Legacy

mikebevo
02.13.2013 , 12:17 PM | #22
I would also suggest joining Mr. Robot and adding your gear, if you ever want someone to help you with gear questions.

Examples two of my toons (not saying either is perfect, but I put them on there so my guild could help me optimize them). Gear is also about a month out of date.

Bremiaha

Mar'ina

Not going to put my shadow on here or people may kick her from HMFPs.

Stressfire
02.13.2013 , 12:26 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Arundor View Post
I'm a DPS player who is relatively new the game and this thread has been helpful and informative for me. Thanks to the people who took time to explain it.

I do have two questions about what has been said here.

1. If an enemy switches to targeting me instead of the tank, is that my first clue that I was doing too much damage? Or are there earlier hints? Is there a way for a skilled DPS player to make sure they don't pull threat while still dealing an optimal amount of damage?
2. I understand from reading this thread that if I pull threat as a DPS player I should stop attacking. What should I do while I'm waiting? Attack something else, or stop attacking entirely?
It depends - if it's a non-elite, the tank is likely not focusing on it in favor of trying to keep aggro from an elite.

For the most part, just kill it. If it's an elite or higher and is charging you or your healer, I will usually try to root/slow it so the tank doesn't have to chase it down and CC if I can, again so the tank doesn't have to run it down.

Nice part about being extreme-range DPS is that you can get a very good view of the fight and kind of see what needs to be done.

Eternalnight
02.13.2013 , 12:38 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Lacavabill View Post
I would also look at Noxxic
I would not!

Noxxic is a terrible resource that has a lot of errors and false information, and they don't even make any attempt to correct any of that.

Well I suppose for someone who does not know anything about anything and is unable to figure it out by themselves even a terribly bad guide like Noxxic could potentially help them to improve, but even then they need to be aware that Noxxic gets many of the finer details completely wrong.

Never_Hesitate
02.14.2013 , 03:21 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Eternalnight View Post
I would not!

Noxxic is a terrible resource that has a lot of errors and false information, and they don't even make any attempt to correct any of that.

Well I suppose for someone who does not know anything about anything and is unable to figure it out by themselves even a terribly bad guide like Noxxic could potentially help them to improve, but even then they need to be aware that Noxxic gets many of the finer details completely wrong.
I agree with you
Their builds are ridiculous sometimes
T3-M4 - Lvl 55 Chars:
T'hana Jugg, Saleona Sniper, S'inthoras Mara,Hannahla Merc, Eleondra&Eleondraa Ops,
Leeonira Sorc, CaphalÝr Sorc, Kindarya Assa, LeoniŽ PT,
Revuna Mando, Leojuna Scoundrel, Simon'e Shadow, Sileona Guardian

slafko
02.14.2013 , 04:05 AM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Rutigkille View Post
Didn't know it was so much finesse in this game! Just thought it was a very hard game. )
What you call finesse is actually common sense. And the game is laughably easy.

Never_Hesitate
02.14.2013 , 04:07 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by slafko View Post
What you call finesse is actually common sense. And the game is laughably easy.
Not, if you never played an mmo before
T3-M4 - Lvl 55 Chars:
T'hana Jugg, Saleona Sniper, S'inthoras Mara,Hannahla Merc, Eleondra&Eleondraa Ops,

slafko
02.14.2013 , 04:58 AM | #28
Or got electricity yesterday.

Never_Hesitate
02.14.2013 , 05:06 AM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by slafko View Post
Or got electricity yesterday.
You really combine getting electricity with knowing how to play an mmo?

*Holding my insult back*

Where should someone know all this things from, remember not everyone reads tons of guides before they start playing the game
T3-M4 - Lvl 55 Chars:

Hichitsuki-hime
02.15.2013 , 02:17 AM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by xOxDarkyxOx View Post
It depends what type of enemy switches agro to you. If it is a strong or elite, it is probably the tanks fault for not holding agro. If its a lesser enemy, it doesnt matter how much damage you do to it as the tank will have a hard time holding agro for everything (Tank has to focus on the harder enemies). Just burst the mob down.

If you pull threat on an easy mob, just kill it. If you pull threat on a harder one, use your threat dump and/or ask for a guard from your tank.
this is also a problem i began having in sm ops and hm fps from time to time ever since i began buying the black hole gear (only have two pieces so far though) ... would really appreciate it if someone could please help me figure out what would be the threat dump for a dps shadow running the balance tree