Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

I keep messing up!

Rutigkille
02.11.2013 , 03:39 PM | #1
Hello! I have a sniper dps and have lvld to around 40. Now I've being doing some flashpoints. But I've being kicked a lot because I'm not doing my job. I usually starts with saying Im noob, and ask them to explain how to act. But I usually dont get any answer.

How should I act to be a good Dps? What should I avoid, and what should I focus on? Im totally noob to this kind of game.

And btw.. How do I find a group for a Heroic? I see some requests in the chat, but I dont know how to join.

Thanks a lot!

RedPands
02.11.2013 , 03:46 PM | #2
Kill adds, down boss, don't break cc and don't steal aggro. Done
We are not running away.. just making a tactical advance in the other direction
Didet Caheif - SWG

Icebergy
02.11.2013 , 03:48 PM | #3
Either you have run into some very rude people, or you are leaving part of the story out. I think most people would be happy to help out if you admit that you are new and ask for help.

Some basic guidelines as a DPS are:
Watch your aggro
Try to attack what the tank is attacking
Do not break CC
Let the tank pull

If you are doing those simple things, most tanks will be fine with you, and healers too. Are they saying your DPS is bad? If thats the case, then head on over to your class' section on the forums and check out some guides.

EDIT: I forgot the most important part. If you are doing a boss fight that you have not done before, ASK YOUR GROUP if there are any boss mechanics you need to be aware of. And then try your best to follow what they say.
This signature is a slap in the face!
Mikal'B, Battlemaster and Fleet Commodore of the Republic.
<Contraband Inc> 10/10 NiM, 4/4 NiM, NMP, 3/12 NiM, HM GF, 4/5 NiM
Jedi Covenant

Rutigkille
02.11.2013 , 03:53 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by RedPands View Post
Kill adds, down boss, don't break cc and don't steal aggro. Done
Please fill me in. What is adds, cc and aggro?

Tatile
02.11.2013 , 04:05 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Rutigkille View Post
Please fill me in. What is adds, cc and aggro?
Adds = any enemies that are not the boss or any enemies that are not the gold star

CC = Crowd Control. In your case, as a Sniper, you can only slice Droid enemies

Aggro = aggression. This is when enemies attack you. If enemies are peeling off the tank and attacking you, you need to use your skill 'Countermeasures' to drop your aggro; you may even need to stop DPS'ing for a few seconds.

bsbrad
02.11.2013 , 05:58 PM | #6
Rule of thumb:

Tanks will attack the strongest guys first then work their way down to the weakest mobs all the time trying to hold aggro so only they are being hit

DPSers job is to kill the weakest guys first then work your way up to the strongest guy. If a straggler gets loose and is heading for your healer take them down.

At no time should you pull the mobs, that is the tanks job. Also to be helpful the DPSets should be marking their CCs and do not break other peoples CCs.

If you follow these simple rules, most people will not have an issue with you.

Also on boss fights, if you have not done them before make sure one of the more experienced players explains the fight.

Lastly, a lot of veterans will be skipping a lot of content in the flashpoints so make sure you make them well aware of the fact that you are new to the flashpoint at the beginning so they dont just run off and leave you. Most of the veterans are friendly and will help you out as long as you inform them.

PhantomMalice
02.12.2013 , 02:38 AM | #7
I feel like you are leaving a lot of story out of your post. But from what I can guess, you sound like one of those Ultra noobs I encountered before. See if these symptom fits you:

- You have no idea how to manage your attacking skills efficiently.. Either you find yourself out of Energy all the time or you are just spamming your lvl 1 basic attack all the time while having 100% Energy.

- Press random buttons just because "they look cool" and have no idea what it actually does

- Have no idea what your class specialty is. For example, you are a Sniper, you shoot from afar, not running into melee range to use Shiv.

-You are doing a lot of unnecessary things like knocking back mobs when it is not needed. Tanks hate DPS who do that. Especially when they worked so hard to group them together and the next moment you "LOL KNOCKBACK".

----

If one or more of the above applies to you, then we have a problem. In that case, we have a classic "Learn to Play" problem and I would suggest you to read up on Class forum to learn more about your class. If above doesn't apply to you, I am going to need more information.

Rutigkille
02.12.2013 , 02:56 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by PhantomMalice View Post
I feel like you are leaving a lot of story out of your post. But from what I can guess, you sound like one of those Ultra noobs I encountered before. See if these symptom fits you:

- You have no idea how to manage your attacking skills efficiently.. Either you find yourself out of Energy all the time or you are just spamming your lvl 1 basic attack all the time while having 100% Energy.

- Press random buttons just because "they look cool" and have no idea what it actually does

- Have no idea what your class specialty is. For example, you are a Sniper, you shoot from afar, not running into melee range to use Shiv.

-You are doing a lot of unnecessary things like knocking back mobs when it is not needed. Tanks hate DPS who do that. Especially when they worked so hard to group them together and the next moment you "LOL KNOCKBACK".

----

If one or more of the above applies to you, then we have a problem. In that case, we have a classic "Learn to Play" problem and I would suggest you to read up on Class forum to learn more about your class. If above doesn't apply to you, I am going to need more information.
Well, you hit me there. You know, Ive never before played with others. But since I loved Kotor and wanted to test this.

After reading all of those excellent answers I've been training. Didn't know it was so much finesse in this game! Just thought it was a very hard game. But now when reading a lot of guides and stuff, I really can admit that I don't know how to play. Just as you say I just have pressed some bottoms to do something. And since I get killed in FPs all the time I guess I have stolen a lot of aggro.
Thank you very much guys! I wont be bothering anyone before I have learned to play the game properly.

Kirameki
02.12.2013 , 03:00 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by PhantomMalice View Post

----

You forgot :

- Random chooses skills from the skill tree without bother reading it's description.
"Why you stuck-up, half-witted, scruffy-looking nerf-herder!"
Twitter | Raptr | Tumblr
My refer a friend link

Never_Hesitate
02.12.2013 , 03:05 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Rutigkille View Post
Thank you very much guys! I wont be bothering anyone before I have learned to play the game properly.
The fact that you took the time to ask on the forum shows that you care to learn your class and I thank you for wanting to learn to play.

I wish you good luck and a lot of fun
T3-M4 - Lvl 55 Chars:
T'hana Jugg, Saleona Sniper, S'inthoras Mara,Hannahla Merc, Eleondra&Eleondraa Ops,
Leeonira Sorc, CaphalÝr Sorc, Kindarya Assa, LeoniŽ PT,
Revuna Mando, Leojuna Scoundrel, Simon'e Shadow, Sileona Guardian