Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

My thoughts on the upcoming Trooper DPS changes

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Commando / Mercenary
My thoughts on the upcoming Trooper DPS changes

jesseleeca
02.08.2013 , 10:11 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Bleeters View Post
Oh yeah, that. Still, the same applies: you're not losing any more ammo combining that with tech override than if you just cast it normally.
If you use it with GR you'll lose a bit since it normally only use up ammo "after" the 1.5 sec cast as opposed to before, which will be the case with TO, not sure how much of a difference though. But regardless, it's not gonna improve DPS.
[Prophecy of the Five] <The Crushers>
Havok-leader Lvl 55 Commando DPS/Combat Medic Gunnery PvE Guide
Transference Lvl 60 Guardian Tank/DPS
Morehots Lvl 60 Scoundrel Healer

oaceen
02.08.2013 , 10:29 PM | #12
i think it's too early to comment on all of this. the mortar salvo thing could end up costing 3 ammo total, but only uses up the ammo at the end, becomes an uninterruptable channel, all sorts of things.

overclock may end up being the replacement to reserve round, meaning we get two tech overrides at the cost of ammo management from more reserve powercells, and not an actual shorter cooldown on CR (as its reduction from reserve round may simply cross over to the new skill), and tech override is not a skill for PVE, it is a skill for PVP

also explosive surge is a vanguard skill, so hyper assault cell doesn't 'also affect vanguards/PTs' it would only affect them.

and i seriously doubt that hyper barrels is a vg/pt skill considering it specifically mentions charged bolts.

all of that said, until we know these are the actual changes, and until we know exactly (or mostly) how they actually work from testing rather than reading some datamined source codes, and seeing the changes across the board so we can look at things holistically, i think it's a bit too early to start weighing in.

Zakmonster
02.09.2013 , 02:18 AM | #13
Hyper Barrel sounds like a pure Commando talent, because Vanguards don't have Charged Bolts, neither do they use Full Auto. So that buff looks solely for the Commando and Vanguard HiB will not be doing even more damage, as you claim.

Also, Shoulder Cannon can be used on people who have charged you (marauders, juggernauts), so it's not a pure Vanguard skill.

CommanderKeeva
02.09.2013 , 03:45 AM | #14
Nobody said Shoulder Cannon wouldn't have its occasional use. But with a range of 10m it becomes completely useless on Flashpoint and Operations bosses. It doesn't seem the least fair to me anyway that they get to use this skill whenever they want whereas ours is restricted to PvP and only certain bosses (like Operator IX, Heavy Fabricator; Stormcaller and Firebrand).

The last thing Vanguards need is more direct, front-up damage. I'm not saying they shouldn't get damage buffs, but if Vanguards do get more damage, Commandos should get equal or more to compensate. The changes for Commando seem to primarily affect PvP. The changes to Vanguards seem to benefit them in both aspects equally.
BEING A GOOD SOLDIER COMES DOWN TO ONE THING, ONE SINGLE QUESTION:
WHAT ARE YOU PREPARED TO SACRIFICE?

Amebia
02.09.2013 , 04:56 AM | #15
Well these changes look depressing...

More excessive buffs for lolrauders

ArchangelLBC
02.09.2013 , 01:50 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by CommanderKeeva View Post
Nobody said Shoulder Cannon wouldn't have its occasional use. But with a range of 10m it becomes completely useless on Flashpoint and Operations bosses. It doesn't seem the least fair to me anyway that they get to use this skill whenever they want whereas ours is restricted to PvP and only certain bosses (like Operator IX, Heavy Fabricator; Stormcaller and Firebrand).

The last thing Vanguards need is more direct, front-up damage. I'm not saying they shouldn't get damage buffs, but if Vanguards do get more damage, Commandos should get equal or more to compensate. The changes for Commando seem to primarily affect PvP. The changes to Vanguards seem to benefit them in both aspects equally.
And even the buffs for PVP aren't gonna make us all that good there considering the buffs coming to other classes.
In update 2.9 the game will simply uninstall itself for you.

-Wnd

Flying-Brian
02.09.2013 , 06:28 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by ArchangelLBC View Post
And even the buffs for PVP aren't gonna make us all that good there considering the buffs coming to other classes.
Very true.

If the changes go live as is, my merc and commando will never be used in pvp again. I'll switch to my gunslinger and PT (well my PT is going to be my main PVP toon anyway, once I finish getting it to 50).

Right now I'm more worried about any negative PVE changes that happen as a result of PVP balance changes.
Because I don't want to stop using my merc and commando and my main PVE toons.

Zakmonster
02.10.2013 , 12:11 AM | #18
I'd like to point out that I only PvP and have never experienced any of the endgame PvE content. As such, I do not know what the class balance is in that regard. In fact, I was under the assumption that Commandos were very competitive in PvE DPS and needed few buffs in that area.

I know that Commandos needed help in PvP, however, and they've received some solid buffs in that regard. Whether those buffs can match up to the buffs that other classes got is still up in the air - we won't know until we play.

I'd also like to point out that I don't know what the buffs to the other classes are, because I can't find a comprehensive list of them (and I don't really care what they are).

CommanderKeeva
02.10.2013 , 04:03 AM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Zakmonster View Post
I'd like to point out that I only PvP and have never experienced any of the endgame PvE content. As such, I do not know what the class balance is in that regard. In fact, I was under the assumption that Commandos were very competitive in PvE DPS and needed few buffs in that area.

I know that Commandos needed help in PvP, however, and they've received some solid buffs in that regard. Whether those buffs can match up to the buffs that other classes got is still up in the air - we won't know until we play.

I'd also like to point out that I don't know what the buffs to the other classes are, because I can't find a comprehensive list of them (and I don't really care what they are).
Commandos are generally better at PvE than PvP (Gunnery anyway) because in PvE your rotation doesn't get interrupted. But that doesn't mean they're the best DPS in that regard, actually far from it.

No class can match the damage potential of Sentinels/Marauders and Vanguards/Powertechs. They do so much damage in both PvE and PvP that I'm beginning to think that Bioware's claims about a 5% overall grace window are false. Generally they are followed by Guardians/Juggernauts, place melee classes firmly in the top 3 damage spots.

At equal skill and gear, Gunslingers (especially hybrids) will out-dps Commandos. Against a Sharpshooters, it might be close to a tie. Commandos will generally out dps Sages/Sorcerers and Shadows/Sins (of both specs) by a small-to-medium margin and Scoundrels/Operatives by a large margin.

As you can see, while Commandos certainly have more opportunities to shine in PvE than in PvP, the majority of the ACs still outshine them. They out dps bursty classes (like Sins and Ops) and can tie with Gunslingers on a good day. But they still can't hold a candle to Sentinels, Juggernauts and especially their mirror class, Vanguards. Which is funny, to say the last, given that Commandos have the largest gun in the game, yet Powertechs do so much more damage with their one puny pistol.

Virtually every damage spec, besides Gunnery is getting direct damage buffs. I'm not kidding, look it up, it's on Darth Hater, every single damage spec in existence is getting more direct damage whereas Gunnery is getting a second instant attack, which is a minor indirect damage buff that's more useful in PvP anyway. I don't really see how we're supposed to stay in 5% of each other. Vanguards and Sentinels are already ahead of us by a very largin margin and it will only increase if they get more damage buffs.

Hence....Bioware hates Gunnery.
BEING A GOOD SOLDIER COMES DOWN TO ONE THING, ONE SINGLE QUESTION:
WHAT ARE YOU PREPARED TO SACRIFICE?

Chrisarn
02.10.2013 , 05:08 AM | #20
Mortar Salvo: Explosive Round can now be fired as a salvo, rapidly shooting up to 3 weaker rounds before depleting energy cells and going on cooldown for 6 seconds.

This ability seems to be good when you are very low on ammo or full heat.
May the Force be with you.