Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Cyborg "Species"

Blackavaar
02.07.2013 , 02:20 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Golzar View Post
I think you guys are looking at this backward.

They probably didn't have time for another species, and someone suggested a slight alteration of the humans in order to deliver more racial content. Instead of no cyborgs at all, we at least got something in that vein.

In my 12+ years as a game artist & art director it's always been the same story. The artists who made this content probably wanted to push it further, but were facing an unrealistically tight timeframe. The feature was probably set to be axed, and someone figured out a way to keep it, albeit in a limited form.
Which is why the business aspect shouldn't be included in the creative process of the game. If more production companies would allow their developers more time to complete a project and only start their work once the project is complete we would have a lot more quality games, rather than buggy crap pushed out before it was ready and then a bunch of promises of how they will fix it over time.

Only the meek get pinched. The bold survive.(███████████████████████████████████║║█[Θ]█]◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙[█]

Izorii
02.07.2013 , 02:21 PM | #12
I believe cyborg was only added to increase the number of species who could be sith Warriors at launch. They looked for a cheap easy way to claim they had 9 species and not 8. Personally I think they should be reworked and the option to be a cyborg should be in the apperance options for any species.

However I wuld still prefer them to add additional species then go over this psedu species at all.

Anvil
02.07.2013 , 02:28 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Golzar View Post
I think you guys are looking at this backward.

They probably didn't have time for another species, and someone suggested a slight alteration of the humans in order to deliver more racial content.
So this is the formula they used for nearly all the species then yes, slightly altered humans, because that's is all we got, with one exception. 'slightly altered humans.' let's face facts, BW cut corners and made species irrelevant to the game experience as they are purely cosmetic and failed to deliver any significant diversity in player racial choices. That cyborgs are deemed a species and a human only species makes swtor the laughing stock of mmo's as far as racial diversity goes. Whoever made those design decisions should hang their head in shame.
The Earthshaker Legacy - Dalborra
SWTOR won't truly represent the spirit of Star Wars until numerous iconic star wars non-human alien species are playable.

Malastare
02.07.2013 , 02:57 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by SOULCASTER View Post
I think they have done a horrible job with them and would have much rather subbed them out for something more unique like Plo-Koon's race. Rodian or Wookiee. Even Jawa would have been better......
(eyeroll)

You almost had a point, and then you said this, proving that you haven't actually put much thought into the problem at all.

All of the races you mentioned would have notable technical problems being incorporated into the game. None of them would work with the established voice acting (not necessarily the ability to speak Basic, but the tonal quality, etc). Wookiees can't be Jedi or Sith without specific sign-off by LucasArts. Kel Dor have twice the clipping problems of Twi'leks and need special code to handle the voice modulation. Rodians would look stupid with the voices, and have loads of clipping problems.

And Jawas.... no, just no. I don't want to explain again why they are a bad idea.

fresnosmokey
02.07.2013 , 03:00 PM | #15
I don't even think cyborgs should be included at all. I don't care that they wanted another so-called race at launch. Adding mechanical components, especially ones that do squat all, to someone does not change their race. And the implants are ugly. If they were going to insist on including cybernetics, it would've been much better to make cybernetic implants a cosmetic feature for the different races rather than saying that humans with implants were their very own race.

Kubernetic
02.07.2013 , 03:59 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by SithKoriandr View Post
I think the cybernetics should have been a character customization option open to all species instead of made a species unto themselves. I mean, really, when did getting cybernetics change your species? So Luke and Vader are no longer humans?

I like to think my cyborg is really half human/half miraluka myself.
You're no longer an original member of the species. You've been altered and changed by the cybernetic enhancements beyond an ordinary member of that species.

Maybe? lol
Tekay —— En-ki —— Tékay —— Hassle —— Jaksen
Explorer (80%) • Killer (53%) • Socializer (47%) • Achiever (20%)
Excited Star Citizen — But ready to resubscribe when and if...

kirorx
02.07.2013 , 04:03 PM | #17
when cyborg was announced I thought it was joke
Watch the Clowder of Cather in this video http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=j7uTcYvoEbU

Blackavaar
02.07.2013 , 04:09 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Kubernetic View Post
You're no longer an original member of the species. You've been altered and changed by the cybernetic enhancements beyond an ordinary member of that species.

Maybe? lol
A few pieces of LED lit aluminum glued to our face reclassifies us as a unique species?

I think not.

Considering we already have Implants as pieces of gear, that would make everyone a Cyborg, which means the species choice isn't even valid.

Really, Cyborg should have been a class of Adaptive Gear, not a species. Then you could mix and match parts to make a unique Cyborg look for any class or species.

Heck, half of the Juggernaut gear are already more Cyborg-like than any of the crap glued to our faces. And the Cyborg NPCs all appear to be wearing that same gear.

Only the meek get pinched. The bold survive.(███████████████████████████████████║║█[Θ]█]◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙[█]

Jonoku
02.07.2013 , 04:17 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by kirorx View Post
when cyborg was announced I thought it was joke
same here but apparently the species is true as soon as I launched the game and created a character on Dec 15th 2011. *** is cyborg really, is that some kind of super hero from marvels? Cyborg isn't a species, its called a species(insert here) with cybernetics. I'm a zabrak only guy and I want cybernetics.

SithKoriandr
02.07.2013 , 04:20 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Jonoku View Post
same here but apparently the species is true as soon as I launched the game and created a character on Dec 15th 2011. *** is cyborg really, is that some kind of super hero from marvels? Cyborg isn't a species, its called a species(insert here) with cybernetics. I'm a zabrak only guy and I want cybernetics.
I'd love cybernetic options for my Chiss.