Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

language issues on forums

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

tglass
02.06.2013 , 04:56 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by ZionHalcyon View Post
This always seems to happen to me when I click on a link from Google that is directed at the SWTOR forums.
That would make sense. The links probably have the language in the url. If you click the FR or DE buttons at the top of the page, you can see the url adds /fr or /de after the swtor.com. This sets the language for the page layout. As mentioned, clicking the EN link will set it back to English.
Darganon: JOINT COMMAND
PAXDOMINUS
Website | Recruitment Thread

SamuraBob_Fl
02.06.2013 , 04:59 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by AmberGreen View Post
Hello there folks. We are currently looking into this and would appreciate your assistance. If you have more details about when or how this happens and/or screenshots of the issue, please post an update in this thread. Thanks for your reports and help while we investigate!
Here's one example:

1. Google "swtor lightside appearance"

2. Click on the thread "Any plans for light side appearance changes?"

3. Your page is now in German.
...they'd never come to see me in this dive, where bikers stare at cowboys, who are laughing at the hippies, who are praying they'll get out of here alive...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bplt6CQ3MyE

KhodaKat
02.06.2013 , 05:12 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by SamuraBob_Fl View Post
Here's one example:

1. Google "swtor lightside appearance"

2. Click on the thread "Any plans for light side appearance changes?"

3. Your page is now in German.
Hmm.. came up english for me...

However, I have also experienced the forums trying to insist I speak (or read) a different language.

It's happened infrequently, for a long time.. maybe as long as I've been playing (April?), but it seems to happen mostly after I've attempted to visit the forums downtime (patch day).

It has happened more frequently, and more randomly recently, and not always when clicking in from Google. I have a bunch of bookmarks to forum posts here, and I've had those come up with German as well.

Sometimes clicking the "EN" button works.. but it usually takes several tries before it 'sticks'.

Most of this is just circumstantial hindsight observation. If it happens again, I'll pay more attention to specifics and come back here and post...

JadenGatekeeper
02.06.2013 , 06:19 PM | #14
yeah I can see this being a dozen different things as to why it happens. Google is one complex beast. Could be something to do with their redirect system. In fact I'd more than bet on it. Don't think this is a problem with the forum itself. Sometimes google's redirects go kind of funky and I've seen that happen with non-swtor sites as well, albeit really rare to see it, at least for me, but I have had it happen a couple times coming in from google as well.
We Shot First

Tmanarl
02.06.2013 , 06:47 PM | #15
This happens for me from time to time. Clicking the 'EN' button up top fixes it, it's just odd that DE would show up.
The Valar Legacy : Begeren Colony
Cinnagar 65 Sith Sorcerer | Viceptus 67 Sith Sorcerer | Calvaria 65 Sith Assassin | Shiian 65 Sith Juggernaut | Rolorra 65 Sith Marauder
Sevri 65 Bounty Hunter Powertech | Maris 70 Imperial Operative
Leelu 65 Jedi Sage | Mallavik: 65 Jedi Shadow | Brénn: 65 Vanguard Trooper | Corrann: 65 Jedi Sentinal | Lumanni: 65 Smuggler Scoundrel

amaresch
02.06.2013 , 07:57 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Tmanarl View Post
This happens for me from time to time. Clicking the 'EN' button up top fixes it, it's just odd that DE would show up.
Ditto and ditto. Its always the German taking over on mine.

Pantaro
02.06.2013 , 08:09 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Mevan View Post
Yep, been like it for a while, quite often takes unreasonable effort to change it to English too :/

Like they said been like that forever i just click english so easy to do i didnt feel the need to say much about it

Timonius
02.06.2013 , 09:11 PM | #18
I've found it to be a browser issue (it usually happens to me when clicking an external link via search that contains '/fr' or '/de' in the link). Simply clear your cache, history, cookies, etc. and reload the EN page.

On a side note: A solution to this for those signed into their account would be to tie it into one's account preferences.

Raansu
02.06.2013 , 10:29 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by AmberGreen View Post
Hello there folks. We are currently looking into this and would appreciate your assistance. If you have more details about when or how this happens and/or screenshots of the issue, please post an update in this thread. Thanks for your reports and help while we investigate!
It's completely random. Just every once in awhile I come to the site and it will switch to French for me for some odd reason.

LarryRow
02.07.2013 , 08:13 AM | #20
Ich bin verwirrt. Ich weiß wirklich nicht was das problem ist.