Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

2 "Stand Alone" character Star Wars films announced!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
2 "Stand Alone" character Star Wars films announced!

Beniboybling
02.06.2013 , 11:57 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Cashprizes View Post
http://www.theforce.net/latestnews/s...lms_150115.asp

So me and a lot of other people were thinking that Kasdan was writing Episode VIII and Kinberg was writing IX, as they were announced as writers along side Arndt who is writing episode VII. THis is great news imo, more Star Wars movies, and the fact that Kinberg is not writing an actual "episode" of the main series. That guy has the worst resume ever, he has never written a good screenplay, just crap.

SO yeah, what movies do you think theyre gonna do?

1. Yoda movie, just cause its a major rumor atm. Could be awesome, could be meh.

2. "Seven Jedi", a spin on Seven Samurai. Buncha jedi team up to protect hapless villagers against marauders. The other majorly rumored one was. Sounds fantastic.

3. Boba Fett movie, was rumored very early on but havent heard much of it recently. Could be great.

4. Jabba the Hutt movie, this one popped up on my radar this week. I could see Jabba starring, but I just really want a movie that focuses on the underbelly of the SW universe, and doesnt deal too much with Jedi or imps or rebels.

5. Any wish list movies? I think a Rogue Squadron movie, or just somthing focusing on a squad of fighter pilots, would be epic. Maybe introduce the new fighters and a few characters in the new trilogy, and spin off from there. Or maybe mix that concept with an espionage angle.
Very interesting. I'd have to agree with Wolf here though, it seems a bit weird, I'd even go as far to say wrong. I mean, Star Wars is a very iconic saga. You've got 'Episodes', those iconic Roman numerals, the scrolling text, the whole set up. And having 'spin-offs' seems a bit wrong. It breaks away from the whole linear episode, star warsy format if you get what I mean. However if they're good you can't really complain.

1. I would love to see a Yoda movie, of all the characters in the Star Wars universe, this guy has the most hazy backstory. It's also just an awesome idea to take a wise master and explore his time as a learner. Yoda as a padawan, gotta love it ^_^

2. No - mainly because that would be a rip off movie, completely unoriginal and just silly. Probably also copyright infringement as well... and lets face it, just sounds like an excuse for some 'twirly twirly'. It also reeks of 'spoof'.

3. Nah, I think Boba's backstory has been explored well enough both in the EU, the prequels and TCW - making a movie about him would be a little overkill and would infringe on current material. But seeing as he's a popular character I can see a film being made on him - and if the stories good it might actually be a good film, but it wouldn't be my first choice.

4. Jabba doesn't really do much though does he? Just sits and eats and slobbers on people... But I'd love to see a film on the underworld. A live action series called Star Wars: Underworld is in the works though, so I doubt it. Unless they use it in a similar way they did TCW - as a premiere of sorts.

5. I was never really a fan of that kinda stuff, but I agree it would make an awesome movie. I'm hesitant on things like Thrawn, simply because they suit the 'saga' format, rather than spin offs. Yet I think these 'spin offs' will focus on whatever the content of the films are, like they said they 'fill the gaps'. It will probably be something like Marvel.

Oh and

Quote: Originally Posted by ZeroOneNine View Post
Star Wars Holiday Special 2: Jar-Jar Binks Saves Life-Day
This. Do it.

Xaldynn
02.06.2013 , 12:04 PM | #12
Revan.

Why was this not suggested yet?

He has plenty of story behind him to make (in my own opinion) a VERY successful movie.
Zéphyros Korrvo Xaldynn Corrvo
Kόrrvo Kúgo Stárrk Cόrrvo
Guild Leader For:
Order of Silence & Disciples of Ragnos

Beniboybling
02.06.2013 , 12:09 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Xaldynn View Post
Revan.

Why was this not suggested yet?

He has plenty of story behind him to make (in my own opinion) a VERY successful movie.
Because his entire story has been covered by KOTOR 1, 2, SWTOR and the wealth of EU material out there such as Tales of Jedi and Star Wars The Old Republic: Revan. A film would therefore just be a remake of existing material.

We also have to remember that Revan is not an iconic or even known character outside of the gaming world, he has no connections to the prequels or the original trilogy and will have no connections to the sequels. There is simply no place for him.

And personally I think 'The Old Republic' should remain in the gaming sphere and the EU, that is where it belongs. That is where it works. Also I think I've had my fill of Revan.

thomasbaxter
02.06.2013 , 02:24 PM | #14
When I think of standalone movies I think of them picking up 'talent' like The Rock to play characters lol

saifeg
02.06.2013 , 02:31 PM | #15
Young Han Solo and Boba Fett, you can make a new thread now

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2013/02/0...vie-boba-fett/

Beniboybling
02.06.2013 , 02:45 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by saifeg View Post
Young Han Solo and Boba Fett, you can make a new thread now

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2013/02/0...vie-boba-fett/
Quote:
In addition to bringing back two fan-favorite characters as the leads of their own films, the Han Solo and Boba Fett projects would also allow Darth Vader, in full-on black death-metal gear, to return as a villain, since placing the spin-offs within the original trilogy would mean he is still alive and hissing. That timeline would also open the door for a return from visit with everyone’s favorite degenerate slug-like gangster, Jabba the Hutt.
If this is true, I would welcome such 'spin offs' for the above reason. The next saga isn't going to feature iconic villains like Jabba and Vader - so the spin offs could be a chance to reintroduce these characters. And I'd love to see Darth Vader return to the cinema!

thomasbaxter
02.06.2013 , 02:46 PM | #17
Anthony Daniels can give up his job at Tescos for a bit

Beniboybling
02.06.2013 , 02:50 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by thomasbaxter View Post
Anthony Daniels can give up his job at Tescos for a bit
Speaking of the droid duo () I reckon we'll be seeing them return in the next saga. And that would be cool. Plus the more iconic characters the better.

revansowns
02.06.2013 , 06:04 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by nachoshark View Post
I'd want a Force Unleashed movie, or maybe the four old republic novels be turned into movies.
I'd love either one of these. Have Sam Witwer play Revan/Starkiller and GO!
The Darkslayer Legacy
Zhendai - Level 50 Jedi Guardian Valixe - Level 50 Sith Sorcerer Omin'it - Level 50 Sniper Valiantes - Level 50 Commando Thondurr - Level 29 Jedi Shadow Devasion - Level 25 Sith Marauder Jizzar - Level 19 Powertech Tegldef -Level 18 Scoundrel

Reedek
02.08.2013 , 07:31 AM | #20
A Thrawn movie

Though I'm still holding onto hope (though I know it won't happen) that the main movies will be the Thrawn Trilogy.