Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why the consular story makes me want to be dead (Possible Spoilers)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Jedi Consular
Why the consular story makes me want to be dead (Possible Spoilers)

Dezsa
03.02.2013 , 04:08 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Allronix View Post
The Consular story takes a long time to get going, I'll admit. And there are a couple of gaping flaws. But here's where the moment of Fridge Brilliance hit.

Almost every class in this game was designed as an expy of an iconic character in Star Wars. Want to play Obi-Wan Kenobi? Play a Knight. Want to be Han Solo? Play a Smuggler. Want a return trip to Republic Commando? Play a Trooper!

The Consular's expy? Leia Organa. Ignore the Force Powers. They're just a means to an end. What are you doing? Through Act 1, you are going planet to planet stopping some crazy Jedi who are using existing local conditions and political tensions as weaponry. You're defusing the situation with words and/or lightsaber diplomacy and keeping the situations from going nuclear.

Since you proved your worth in the first act by defusing four political near-disasters, the Supreme Chancellor sends you the job (again, the Jedi are just there to act as the messengers) of impressing a handful of neutral (but VERY strategic) worlds. One of these is Manaan; anyone remember how important these guys were in the first game? There's also a planet that got screwed over by both the Imperials and the Republic (Balmorra) with massive weapon and droid factories where you coordiate with the Resistance (Zenith) to pull off a coup and install Republic-friendly leadership. There's Quesh with their medical supplies and stim factories. You rescue the monarchs of the Sarkhai from ambush (yeah, they're joining the Republic after this, and lending you some troops for that armada) You score major brownie points with the Rift on Hoth by defeating a White Maw pirate who was preying on their fleet and pick up a decorated Republic officer (Felix Iresso) as a kind of liason between the Rift, the Order, and the Republic military (relations between the Order and Republic military haven't often been smooth - remember how much Bastila and Carth could bicker). Belsalvis? It's crawling with a species the Rakata didn't even want to screw with...and you recruit a karking army of them! Off to Voss where you make yourself a Big Damn Hero by being a potential Mystic's honor guard. In the end, you have a Mystic (remember, the Voss consider those guys to be nearly godlike and they are considered too valuable to leave the planet) and his entourage added to your fleet. You can also fulfil a prophesy that may put an end to the centuries of Voss/Gormak warfare. By the time you reach Corellia, you have a ragtag flotilla in tow...and said ragtag flotilla is made of some of the scariest stuff in the galaxy. Mind you, none of these guys are loyal to the Republic. They're loyal to you. You just happen to be loyal to the Republic.

The Children are like the plague-addled Masters...many of them twisted and altered by a dark force working in the shadows to sow unrest and destabilize political situations so that the Republic is fighting dozens of enemies and cannot trust their friends. You're the guy making sure that the other three classes have the support of local government and puttiong and end to Darth Cuthulu's attempt to destabilize the Republic and the Order through a network of Manchurian Agents. You give the other three classes the support they need to finish the job.
Wow! best post ever , im a returning player and this makes me want to play the class from the beginning again, im inspired!

JSunrider
03.02.2013 , 04:25 PM | #22
I agree that's a great summary of the consular story line. Consular was my first and I still enjoy parts of the story looking back. The problem is that the ideas (create an alliance, defuse political tensions, hold summits, etc.) are not effectively executed. There's way too much FETCH THIS ITEM (so that a meeting can happen) instead of fetch this item SO THAT A MEETING CAN HAPPEN. The story still has its moments, and if you really get into the lore and such it's pretty cool. But there's no signature moment that stands up to some of the other class stories. Agent, Sith Warrior, and Bounty Hunter all have a OH YEAH moment (or six). The consular, even when it's conceptually awesome, never quite pops.

And I say that as someone absolutely dedicated to the consular as my first, my favorite, my conceptual choice. It's like they had the right parameters but put the worst lead designer on the project. Except for trooper; that story blows way worse.

Devlonir
03.04.2013 , 07:33 AM | #23
Allronix says it best: The scale of the Consular story is far above that what a single person can do. While others perform great, personal heroism, the Consular actually creates an army which is willing to follow him into battle through personal loyalty. You define the outcome of multiple battlefields, killing key Darths on key planets (Like Darth Lachriss on Balmorra), and bring all those allies down on the Empire when they attack Corellia, making the difference which results in the Republic's eventual victory on that planet.

The problem with the story really is, that the scale of the story is so big compared to the other, more personal, stories. This game does not bring that scale into view so well. Where are the shots of all those troops of yours fighting a battle on Corellia, for example? Or the shot of your armada coming into Corellia's orbit behind you? Some epic looking cutscenes in the last act would have been great to have to physically show the scale of your story. This is something the story misses.
"Cows go 'Moo', Dogs go 'Woof', MMO Players go 'The PVP is unbalanced!" - Yahthzee
"I'm starting to get the feeling that BW and their MMO are not the dysfunctional ones." - Rafaman

carlbaratta
03.08.2013 , 07:17 PM | #24
I really dig the story - I'm playing total light side but RP'ing being conflicted about flirting and stuff. I just dinged 37 and while I know some folks thought Act 1 was slow, I've never played a multi-player before so thought it was good old fashioned BW fun. I'm in Chapter 2 now and have a 37th lvl Shadow and really am enjoying myself. Story wise the next chapter is starting to build so I'm excited when even the most skeptical have posted that it picks up in Act 2. That's great news for me since I had a blast in Act 1!

-Wes-
03.08.2013 , 08:43 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by carlbaratta View Post
I really dig the story - I'm playing total light side but RP'ing being conflicted about flirting and stuff. I just dinged 37 and while I know some folks thought Act 1 was slow, I've never played a multi-player before so thought it was good old fashioned BW fun. I'm in Chapter 2 now and have a 37th lvl Shadow and really am enjoying myself. Story wise the next chapter is starting to build so I'm excited when even the most skeptical have posted that it picks up in Act 2. That's great news for me since I had a blast in Act 1!
Same here. I should stop reading these posts so that I don't ruin it for myself!
\~~~~~The von Theissenburg Legacy~~~~~/

Kupo
03.11.2013 , 01:06 AM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by thomasbaxter View Post
Yeah like I say each to their own. If I'm expanding on it slightly more, I've found the rep side stories a lot duller than the sith side stories but I think Bioware had more creative control over the baddies while the goodies have a sort of 'canon' they need to stick by.

The consular class I actually love. The story so far I've just not wanted to continue at all. The finale is quite cool and very star-wars 'return of the jedi' end but none of the bad guys are memorable. The Jedi Knight story I have only played to level 35 and it's not been as good as warrior or inq but there's at least been a few memorable bad guys

Qyzen I warmed to as when u do his side quests:

Spoiler

u start to like him. Still, as froid said the inquisitor first companion knocks Qyzen out the park. The other companions bar Nadia annoy me and I really don't even like seeing them on my ship haha.
It's weird. When I got Khem I absolutely hated him even tho' I went dark side. It wasn't until Chapter 2 that I started to like him.

So far I've played thru the Inquisitor, Agent, Bounty Hunter and most of the Consular story, and I have to say the Chapter 2 is kind of dull for all but the Agent. The Inquisitor story
Spoiler

Oh, and great post Allronix.

Kupo
03.11.2013 , 01:44 AM | #27
Oh, there's something else that bugs me: there are no consequences for saving the Jedi masters, either. Many NPCs mention that using the shielding technique weakens you, but when you use it nothing actually happens. It'd make more sense to me if shielding someone causes you to get a debuff that reduces your Willpower by 2% per shield, stacking to 5. The debuff would be removed at the end of Chapter 1. Of course, there'd have to be some warning before it happens.

ZeroPlus
03.13.2013 , 09:29 AM | #28
So I finally finished the Consular story yesterday and came here to say what I thought about it.

But thanks to Allronix, I don't have to. Here is his post again for justice!
Quote: Originally Posted by Allronix View Post
The Consular story takes a long time to get going, I'll admit. And there are a couple of gaping flaws. But here's where the moment of Fridge Brilliance hit.

Almost every class in this game was designed as an expy of an iconic character in Star Wars. Want to play Obi-Wan Kenobi? Play a Knight. Want to be Han Solo? Play a Smuggler. Want a return trip to Republic Commando? Play a Trooper!

The Consular's expy? Leia Organa. Ignore the Force Powers. They're just a means to an end. What are you doing? Through Act 1, you are going planet to planet stopping some crazy Jedi who are using existing local conditions and political tensions as weaponry. You're defusing the situation with words and/or lightsaber diplomacy and keeping the situations from going nuclear.

Since you proved your worth in the first act by defusing four political near-disasters, the Supreme Chancellor sends you the job (again, the Jedi are just there to act as the messengers) of impressing a handful of neutral (but VERY strategic) worlds. One of these is Manaan; anyone remember how important these guys were in the first game? There's also a planet that got screwed over by both the Imperials and the Republic (Balmorra) with massive weapon and droid factories where you coordiate with the Resistance (Zenith) to pull off a coup and install Republic-friendly leadership. There's Quesh with their medical supplies and stim factories. You rescue the monarchs of the Sarkhai from ambush (yeah, they're joining the Republic after this, and lending you some troops for that armada) You score major brownie points with the Rift on Hoth by defeating a White Maw pirate who was preying on their fleet and pick up a decorated Republic officer (Felix Iresso) as a kind of liason between the Rift, the Order, and the Republic military (relations between the Order and Republic military haven't often been smooth - remember how much Bastila and Carth could bicker). Belsalvis? It's crawling with a species the Rakata didn't even want to screw with...and you recruit a karking army of them! Off to Voss where you make yourself a Big Damn Hero by being a potential Mystic's honor guard. In the end, you have a Mystic (remember, the Voss consider those guys to be nearly godlike and they are considered too valuable to leave the planet) and his entourage added to your fleet. You can also fulfil a prophesy that may put an end to the centuries of Voss/Gormak warfare. By the time you reach Corellia, you have a ragtag flotilla in tow...and said ragtag flotilla is made of some of the scariest stuff in the galaxy. Mind you, none of these guys are loyal to the Republic. They're loyal to you. You just happen to be loyal to the Republic.

The Children are like the plague-addled Masters...many of them twisted and altered by a dark force working in the shadows to sow unrest and destabilize political situations so that the Republic is fighting dozens of enemies and cannot trust their friends. You're the guy making sure that the other three classes have the support of local government and puttiong and end to Darth Cuthulu's attempt to destabilize the Republic and the Order through a network of Manchurian Agents. You give the other three classes the support they need to finish the job.
Great write up Allronix. I couldn't have said it better myself.
If you seek answers, you must always ask questions. - Master Vandar Tokare.

[Suggestion] Add another Blaster Pistol with the "A-300 Heavy Sonic Needler" model = DONE!

RaineyDaze
03.19.2013 , 11:20 AM | #29
I have several problems with the story or at least how it's played out so far for me.

1. I'm playing a jedi not a sith so I want to go LS. Killing the masters is darkside and not jedi way, period. Yes they were doing or trying to do bad things, but this while being controlled by someone else. You end up in a fight with every one of them, at the end of the fight they are still alive unable to fight further, very clearly at your mercy. So yes there is no justification to killing them as a jedi. If you want to become a sith then by all means kill away, but you should get a different title, not highest honor title of the order.

2. Companions. Why is the consular story set up to where all you do is piss off companions. Show mercy to any master afflicted by mind control curse, serious hatred, except Yuon, this makes Qyzen a hypocrit in my books and irks me to no end. Help out little kids, Qyzen hates. Be nice to officials and help out, Qyzen hates. Use your powers to stop an unnecessary conflict, Theran hates. It's like every companion you get has to be bribed to like you and I'm pretty sure that goes against jedi way. I don't want to go darkside, if I wanted to do that I would have played a sith. Without going darkside there's hardly anything you can do to make these ppeople happy. So most companions are completely incompatible with jedi way.
I didn't throw it at you! I just threw it to you while you weren't looking.

Twickers
03.19.2013 , 11:24 AM | #30
I always kept hearing people say really negative things about the consular story so I went into it with some low expectations and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised at how cool the story actually was, now guaranteed it's no agent storyline but I still really enjoyed it, in particular I enjoyed
Spoiler

As for companions, I'll grant you they're pretty dull but I really liked Zenith and Nadia, the others are rather forgettable though.

Overall I actually enjoyed the consular storyline and won't mind going through it again whenever I can drag my shadow to 50.

Still, I must say if you go darkside the story makes absolutely no sense, PARTICULARLY being given the title of Bar'sen'thor since you become a complete mass murderer, the Jedi knight at least gets called out on going dark side during their story, the consular? newp, never really addressed
The loneliest people are the KINDEST, the saddest people smile the BRIGHTEST, the most damaged people are the WISEST, ALL because they do not wish to see another soul suffer the same way they did. - Author Unknown