Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Is swtor built for AMD graphics cards?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
Is swtor built for AMD graphics cards?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

CrazyOldMystic
02.01.2013 , 05:47 PM | #1
I am using a Radeon 6900HD series graphics card. My computer is fairly new and I should beable to run swtor on max settings. Yet no matter the settings i put on graphics in game. I am getting constant lag if its not one thing its something else. The load times into some of these planets do not get me started.

Please you Nvidia people I really don't have time for you bs. As for anyone else any ideas?

Cerimon
02.01.2013 , 06:30 PM | #2 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
Hi CrazyOldMystic,

We do not generally recommend using beta video drivers but I have seen the 13.2 Beta 4 drivers and they seem good. Give those drivers a try and if you see issues then go back to the latest non-beta drivers.

Interested to see what you think of that beta driver...

Cerimon | BioWare Customer Service - Forum Support

Neverdweller
02.01.2013 , 06:59 PM | #3
Sounds about the same as my issue especially since no settings changes affect anything at all and I am using a Geforce GTS 250 1Gig GDDR3 card.

I think they are starting to notice this is an ongoing problem, there have been a few posts popping up about it and no solutions as of yet, changing drivers (updating to newest non beta) and (rolling back driver) have no affect.
Tell me if when it starts lagging like crazy if you tilt the camera view down almost looking at your feet if it stops completely, even if you pull the camera way back as long as its almost straight down to where you aren't rendering certain things.

jediturbodude
02.02.2013 , 01:41 PM | #4
I have two 6900s in crossfire, worse than one, worse than one with one gpu disabled. Bioware's wonderful crossfire support

CrazyOldMystic
02.02.2013 , 06:14 PM | #5
I appreciate the suggestion, I may give that beta driver a try, although I do not think it would help. Something for cs to consider. The lag is not bad for 50s doing warzones or flashpoints, but for leveling its kills you allot. Your about to release the expansion . If this issue is not resolved by then these forums are going to be full of angry players dying, because they got hit with a on going lag spike. I sent a cs email to Radeon over this, once they get back to me, ill go from there.

Shiziticus
03.06.2013 , 11:10 PM | #6
Hello everyone. I've been holding off on playing lately until I can find an accurate direction to take in terms of graphic card selection. It just so happens that I'm set to purchase a new desktop and am frightful of listening to the wrong advice with graphic card selection....only to realize it was bad advice and I'm stuck with it. Sounds like there is no clear path to take for someone DESIROUS to play the game at full setting with screen res 1920 x 1080.

Perhaps I should therefore phrase my root question thus : IS there anyone out there who is now playing, flawlessly, happily, and consistently so on a certain / specific build....? If so, PLEASE, I implore you....enlighten me. Enlighten me before I pull the trigger on my new rig. I'm trying to avoid making an hopeful guess, and I myself don't 'know' anyone directly who currently plays the game at 1920 x 1080. I, too, have experienced lag / spike in the middle of combat there after needing to reboot entirely and miss out on the moment. Very very very irritating. I am fairly new to MMO and TRULY love this game 'SWTOR', but if I can't solve the issues I am having on a daily basis, especially with a new rig, I will just go back to non mmo stuff.....where consistency is far easier to manage at high res. I have no interest in any other mmo as such. Only SWTOR. Thanx. } For those of you who might suggest that I just continue playing at low res along with the frequent lag spike / server slumps etc....please don't bother commenting.

May the force be with you all.

tanktest
03.06.2013 , 11:55 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Shiziticus View Post
Hello everyone. I've been holding off on playing lately until I can find an accurate direction to take in terms of graphic card selection. It just so happens that I'm set to purchase a new desktop and am frightful of listening to the wrong advice with graphic card selection....only to realize it was bad advice and I'm stuck with it. Sounds like there is no clear path to take for someone DESIROUS to play the game at full setting with screen res 1920 x 1080.

Perhaps I should therefore phrase my root question thus : IS there anyone out there who is now playing, flawlessly, happily, and consistently so on a certain / specific build....? If so, PLEASE, I implore you....enlighten me. Enlighten me before I pull the trigger on my new rig. I'm trying to avoid making an hopeful guess, and I myself don't 'know' anyone directly who currently plays the game at 1920 x 1080. I, too, have experienced lag / spike in the middle of combat there after needing to reboot entirely and miss out on the moment. Very very very irritating. I am fairly new to MMO and TRULY love this game 'SWTOR', but if I can't solve the issues I am having on a daily basis, especially with a new rig, I will just go back to non mmo stuff.....where consistency is far easier to manage at high res. I have no interest in any other mmo as such. Only SWTOR. Thanx. } For those of you who might suggest that I just continue playing at low res along with the frequent lag spike / server slumps etc....please don't bother commenting.

May the force be with you all.
if this helps any my PC I'm at maxx Setting all the time I all most never get lag any place in the game and USE AMD 13..2 beta 7. one thing I did do is turn off Shadows and everything else is maxxed that will drag even the best OF PC down ..

Mainboard MSI Z77A-G43 (MS-7758)
Chipset Intel Z77
Processor Intel Xeon E3 1230 V2 @ 3300 MHz
Physical Memory 32768 MB (4 x 8192 DDR3-SDRAM )
Video Card AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series
Hard Disk Western Digital WD1002FAEX-00Z3A0 (1000GB)
Hard Disk SanDisk SDSSDH2256G (256GB)
DVD-Rom Drive ASUS BW-12B1LT
DVD-Rom Drive ASUS DRW-24B1ST
Monitor Type HannsStar HH251 - 24 inches
Network Card Intel 82574L Gigabit Network Connection
Operating System Windows 8 Pro with Media Center Professional Media Center 6.02.9200 (64-bit)
DirectX Version 11.00
Windows Performance Index 7.9 on 7.9

and MY screen res is set at 1920 x 1080. )

OwenBrooks
03.07.2013 , 01:12 AM | #8
I run a X79 Sabretooth with 3930K I7 CPU
16BG Ram XMP Profile in Bios
GTX670 @ 2048 x 1152
SSD for Win 7 64bit
HDD for Game to run on.

Game runs fine on high settings
Spoiler

tanktest
03.07.2013 , 02:55 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by OwenBrooks View Post
I run a X79 Sabretooth with 3930K I7 CPU
16BG Ram XMP Profile in Bios
GTX670 @ 2048 x 1152
SSD for Win 7 64bit
HDD for Game to run on.

Game runs fine on high settings
Spoiler
Question should I run the Game on MY HDD or SSD ? I run it off the SSD but worry about to many read /writes ...

OwenBrooks
03.07.2013 , 03:06 AM | #10
There is no simple answer, with the OS on the SSD you run the issue of running the pagefile on the SSD doing constant read writes, unless you have sufficient memory to be able to turn it off.

Running the pagefile on a different drive is a good idea, but on the same drive as swtor they could be competing for file access depending on the rest of your hardware, but if this is going to be an issue is not certain on a system.

For me I decided to leave the pagefile on the SSD and game is on the HDD, but running the game on the SSD is no different to the pagefile access