Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

BW Please consider this change for Scoundrel

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Scoundrel / Operative
BW Please consider this change for Scoundrel

Keyran-Halcyon
02.01.2013 , 11:09 AM | #1
So I was going to write a wall of text, but I know nobody reads everything and I highly doubt BW will even respond to this post, but here goes a shot in the dark.

Scrapper seems to be still lacking in some burst, but honestly I am ok with that, what we need is something to finish out our rotation. Our sustained is lacking and as a result we cannot help our team as much after we open from stealth. My suggestion is honestly super easy and wouldn't really require much changing of the class. We need a finisher move that can only be used on targets below 30% health. This would give us something that doesn't leave us still starved for upper hands, doesn't give us much front end burst, but finishes off our back end burst. Now here is the really easy thing, we already have a good ability that could easily become our finisher move, are you ready Bioware???

Cheap shot... All that is needed is to switch the "only usable on incapacitated targets" to "only usable on targets at or below 30% health". It would also need a CD time equal to that of other finisher moves, so I think maybe 12 seconds.

As far as I can tell, this wouldn't make us OP or anything, it would just give us something to finish off our rotation and not leave us waiting to get another upper hand.

Any thoughts from fellow Scoundrels???
Rogue Heals
<Art Supplies>
Captain Hng Slo & Master Teh-Hauss

RendValor
02.01.2013 , 12:09 PM | #2
That... actually sounds pretty damn reasonable.
The Trayus Legacy - Prophecy of the Five

Kuronan
02.01.2013 , 01:17 PM | #3
Yea, I actually think this would be pretty balanced, considering every other melee class (excluding Vanguard) and even Sniper/Gunslinger have an 'Execution' move that can be used on targets 30% or below. However, it should be implemented as a Scoundrel Specific bonus, similar to how when we learn Dodge for the entire Smuggler class, Scoundrels can learn Lucky Dodge. It'd work something like this:
'Brass Knuckle': Cheap Shot can now be used on Players and targets below 30% health, cooldown reduced to twelve seconds.
The Estimare Legacy
Silence to Evil is Compliance, Arguing and Fighting is Defiance, and I am as baneful an opponent as I am loyal a companion.
We, the roleplayers, need this.

Keyran-Halcyon
02.01.2013 , 01:46 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Kuronan View Post
Yea, I actually think this would be pretty balanced, considering every other melee class (excluding Vanguard) and even Sniper/Gunslinger have an 'Execution' move that can be used on targets 30% or below. However, it should be implemented as a Scoundrel Specific bonus, similar to how when we learn Dodge for the entire Smuggler class, Scoundrels can learn Lucky Dodge. It'd work something like this:
'Brass Knuckle': Cheap Shot can now be used on Players and targets below 30% health, cooldown reduced to twelve seconds.
That would work and help keep from adding another ability to gunslingers which are pretty balanced at the moment. I really hope BW starts paying attention. I am hoping that if this post can get enough responses and attention from the player base that BW might actually consider doing this. I mean it honestly can't be that difficult a change.
Rogue Heals
<Art Supplies>

Wainamoinen
02.02.2013 , 05:36 AM | #5
I don't think it's a bad idea. Not having an execute is really frustrating, especially when you have burst monsters like smashers with it. There's an argument that your everyday hard-hitting abilities are equivalents, but I'm not sure that holds when scrappers' big-hitters (Shoot First, Back Blast) have so many limitations, and most other classes already have executes.

For PR purposes though, make it a new ability gained by scrappers/ops between levels 51-55 in the expansion (a new level 55 or talent treetop ability? Don't change an existing PvE-only ability. Reason being that all classes have these, and if you make a smuggler one work in PvP too, you'll have every class whining that it's not fair and their uberpwn PvE-only ability should be PvP too. Then God help us if the devs actually listened to that.
Somewhere in the darkness, the Scrapper he broke even
Ilmarinen 60 Scoundrel (Red Eclipse)

Baalzamon
02.02.2013 , 07:32 AM | #6
That is just what I feel is missing from the Scoundrel/Operative, a finisher like that would be great.

Talonvore
02.03.2013 , 03:38 AM | #7
Totally agree.

Keyran-Halcyon
02.03.2013 , 09:50 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Wainamoinen View Post
I don't think it's a bad idea. Not having an execute is really frustrating, especially when you have burst monsters like smashers with it. There's an argument that your everyday hard-hitting abilities are equivalents, but I'm not sure that holds when scrappers' big-hitters (Shoot First, Back Blast) have so many limitations, and most other classes already have executes.

For PR purposes though, make it a new ability gained by scrappers/ops between levels 51-55 in the expansion (a new level 55 or talent treetop ability? Don't change an existing PvE-only ability. Reason being that all classes have these, and if you make a smuggler one work in PvP too, you'll have every class whining that it's not fair and their uberpwn PvE-only ability should be PvP too. Then God help us if the devs actually listened to that.
See I don't want to get a finisher as our "New expansion" ability. WE SHOULD ALREADY HAVE ONE. So to me its unfair that pretty much all other classes get a finisher move and we don't. Then they get their new ability and we finally get our finisher. Then we are still behind the other classes.

The reason I picked "Cheap Shot" as the ability that should be changed to our finisher, is because we actually have two of these PvE ability. Head Shot and Cheap shot are basically the same thing just a difference in Range I believe. They share the same CD. So if Cheap shot were to be changed into our finisher move, we would still have one PvE ability to use on Incapacitated NPC's. So Cheap Shot is if I remember correctly a melee attack, so it would still require us to be in melee range, just like sucker punch and blaster whip, and for the PvE'rs they still keep their Head shot.

For any classes that would argue that they should get their PvE ability changed, well we can easily point out that we still have our PvE ability, we just gained our finisher to match that of other classes. So it should stop most smart people from arguing. Granted 75% of the forums seem to be dominated with idiots. And I can easily see BW giving in to their demands. That's what makes me so mad is the Scoundrel/operative community isn't nearly as vocal. Its probably because in the beginning we were and all we got was hate threads and Nerf threads that I feel like the majority of us went into forum hiding...

All I can Say is I really hope Bioware revives this class, at least the DPS side. I still see plenty of Sawbones healers running around, but the Scrapper's are few and far between.
Rogue Heals
<Art Supplies>

randiesel
02.03.2013 , 06:13 PM | #9
Hey now, you're taking one of my ideas from another thread. That's copyrighted material!

Lol, jk, though I did bring this up. +1 for the idea though =)
Covert-sin
Covert-ops

AdmiralOnasi
02.04.2013 , 02:23 PM | #10
Well that would just make way too much sense!

In all seriousness, yes, this should happen, and should have happened a long time ago. The fact that Shadows have one and we don't is silly.