Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

[Proposal] ideas for BioWare/EA to save the game while making a fortune

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
[Proposal] ideas for BioWare/EA to save the game while making a fortune

Knockerz
02.01.2013 , 08:55 AM | #21
I don't agree with 2, 3, and 4 but the rest are ok or should I say standard in most mmorpg. I don't think it's a very good idea to let players level super fast. SWTOR isn't very grindy, but making it any more faster and you might as well call it kotor 3.
Fiery the angels fell; deep thunder rolled around their shores; burning with the fires of Orc

Knockerz
02.01.2013 , 08:59 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Stoofa View Post
Advanced class changes and anything else to make the already easy and quick trip to level 50 any easier or quicker would have me seriously considering my subscription too.
Add in the ability to change sex or species and I'm definitely aiming towards the "downgrade me to not paying" button.
What' wrong with the service of changing your characters sex or species. World of Warcraft has this service. If in the future BW introduces a new race do you really want to level all over again to have a character with that race and with your current main's class? Take for example warriors in WoW. In cataclysm wow allowed blood elves to be warriors and many players decided to race change to blood elf. As for change of sex well people get bored of the same character and want a small change of appearance. I don't see how this is a problem I never heard any one complain about sex/race changes in wow.
Fiery the angels fell; deep thunder rolled around their shores; burning with the fires of Orc

Gereorth
02.01.2013 , 09:01 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by SithKoriandr View Post

they don't need a storyline option for allowing this, and most players probably don't care so much about the story that the idea of a retcon would phase them.
I never said a storyline option would be needed, but I tried to give the explenation for why there are AC's. A lot of the players that started when the game was released in fact DID play for the story. Nowadays, that it's F2P, most don't. Which is fair enough, but I still think that was the reason why there are AC's. And not litterly 8 classes to choose from at the start.
I got the stuff, if you got the credits. If not, beat it kid!

Knockerz
02.01.2013 , 09:05 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by CelCawdro View Post
That was the position of BioWare until a recent interview. They now view the ability to change your advanced class an eventuality. That being said, faction swapping still isn't going to happen, at least.
I don't think class swapping will sit well with the majority of the subscribers. I will immediately leave if they implement this service.Now there are games where you can change classes, but those games were design around that concept. However, swtor was design in the image of wow and therefore in the minds of many players it has to conform at least to some of the parameters that wow has built around. World of Warcraft was design with the premise that class swapping would never be allowed. Thus, mmorpgs that are based on a WoW design have to conform to this parameter. This is the general conses in the WoW and any mmorpg that is baded on wow. You simply don't allow class swapping. Adding this service, like in Wow, will only cause huge loss of subscribers for swtor.

fresnosmokey
02.01.2013 , 09:14 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by iFruit View Post
Quite apparently under the present management the priority objective is to make SW: TOR a profitable project and appease stakeholders, whereas retaining the Star Wars spirit and giving the playerbase what they expect was moved aside. BUT, why not achieve both of these targets at once? Give us what we're ready to pay for => big bucks for you => everyone's happy. Just like that.

Now, Cartel Market is they way you chose to implement your moneymaker strategy. How long will it stay efficient with only new robes + occasional pod racer and whatnot?

Here are my proposals for the Cartel Market that are truly no-brainer and are sure to meet approval with the playerbase.

1. Introduce the ability to manage advanced account-related issues. Put this under 'Authorizations' tab. Here should be packs to allow single/multiple characters server AND/OR account transfer. The price would be quite high (just see other MMOs), but you'd be astonished how many of us would pay.
2. Put in a pack to change advanced class. There is nothing gamebreaking about it. If needed, put it on the Legacy system and attach a requirement (say, lvl 40 Legacy) so as not to obliterate the grind in the game. Justification: some of us have mains (i.e. the ones we've started to explore SWTOR) which we'd really like to respec, those chars are simply not rerollable. Make it expensive, but make it happen.
3. Release a special EXP booster to allow lightning-fast leveling to 50. This should be introduced through the Legacy system for those of us with 50 Legacy levels (currently no reward/unlock for that). What I would pay for is a booster that would make it possible for me to just get lvl 50 through doing Story quests. Example: I have a lot of tech user characters and no force users - not my thing - but running all the planets again just to see a class story and get the class buff? PvPiing for a month, ORLY? Boring and tedious - and that leads to the Dark side (i.e. no sub => no money). This could also be expensive, but called for (plus the 50 Legacy level requirement is a good stimulus for most players and a great reward for us oldtimers).
4. Put in some character recustomization packs. My personal favourite! See link in signature for details. TL;DR: it is called for and it's NOT technically difficult: you buy your pack and upon use return to the character creation screen. There you get to change the options you paid for - depending on pack - name, race, cosmetic details. Sex would be harder for the present companion affection system. This one is a complete no-brainer, instant money for minimal effort!
5. Introduce some minor questing content packs. The HK quest series inspired me for this idea. Put in more minor questline packs with some investigation implied, add a unique little reward = loads of greatful buyers!

These are just ideas that sprung to me, I request all interested forum users to provide additional ideas! Let's make our favourite game interesting and profitable, and everyone's a winner!
#1 is fine. #2 I'm not sold on. #3 is a definite no-no and I will also reconsider my sub if something like this is implemented. #4 is fine. #5 is no, unless it's for FTP. Subs should ALWAYS get all available content included in their sub.

Prysha
02.01.2013 , 09:16 AM | #26
Why do people keep getting WoW into discussion?! -.-
Character Equipment Profiles: Your voice is needed, click here to support the idea!
SWTOR - Armors with pictures!

fresnosmokey
02.01.2013 , 09:24 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Prysha View Post
Why do people keep getting WoW into discussion?! -.-
WoW is the largest and most popular MMO so far, so is the yardstick by which other games are (fairly or unfairly) measured.

BlackSpin
02.01.2013 , 09:48 AM | #28
I, for one, support these ideas.

I think some of you missed the part where the OP mentioned legacy requirements. I have five 50's and I'm only LL45 or 47 (something like that.) For us that have been through the planet quests so many times, it really discourages you (or maybe it's just me) from creating another character... or trying to level through PvP and just do story quests... idk.

Also, I'm not sure why switching your advanced class would be such a bad idea. I've been playing my Operative since beta, and it would be a real nice change to check out a sniper.

Switching things up now and again is not a bad idea. It keeps things fresh.

Gereorth
02.01.2013 , 11:08 AM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by BlackSpin View Post

Also, I'm not sure why switching your advanced class would be such a bad idea. I've been playing my Operative since beta, and it would be a real nice change to check out a sniper.
I think you should look at those first 10 levels not as the "Imperial Agent" class, but as a tutorial, to warm you up for a ranged class that uses gadgets.
And then I ask you, if that whole 'tutorial' phase wasn't there, and you pick either Operative or Sniper from the character creation.. Would you still support AC swap?
I got the stuff, if you got the credits. If not, beat it kid!

kevlarto
02.01.2013 , 11:19 AM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Cretinus View Post
Not going to comment on the OP's suggestions. Some I don't like, the others I don't care. But fair enough. That's okay. Seriously. I don't mind.

But: Why does all this have to come packaged as "ideas to save the game while making a fortune"?! Why not simply post suggestions as what they are, i.e. suggestions, instead of trying to find a killa argumentation that doesn't wash anyway?
I am with you, some folks did not read the latest investors meeting, and seen the money generated by micro transactions, from three EA games including the old repulic..
Do not dwell in the past, do not not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.

Expectations lead to suffering