Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Why is Naming Policy not being enforced?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Why is Naming Policy not being enforced?

AlienEyeTX's Avatar


AlienEyeTX
01.31.2013 , 03:25 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Klarick View Post
After FTP this has become a serious issue. Yes I know I can use the ignore function. However, that is NOT the point! Why have a STATED naming policy, yet not enforce it?

Bioware just needs to drop the policy and let us all know that naming your toon after a sexual act, or a racist slur, or curse words is OK. I have reported individuals mutliple times, as has my wife, over months now, yet nothing happens.

Basically, if you have a policy ENFORCE it!
You reported it. You've done your part. It is up to Bioware at that point. Just /ignore and move along.
Be a lamb and click on this referral link, would you? You get free stuff and I get free stuff. Nothing to lose.

TUXs's Avatar


TUXs
01.31.2013 , 03:26 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by theborch View Post
No, I do not. I believe, outside of RP servers, that you should be able to name yourself what very you want. If you get enjoyment running around the game as C*ckSmuggler3000 then have at it.
I disagree. When you allow people utter freedom in naming their anonymous online character, some peoples intent becomes to be as vulgar and as offensive as possible for the "lulz"...That type of freedom should not be allowed. This isn't your own personal game, it's a gaming environment we all must share and common social decency should be enforced.
All warfare is based on deception If his forces are united, separate them If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near A leader leads by example not by force
My referral code: here What you get: here (1 FREE transfer 7-day FREE sub FREE Jumpstart and Preferred Bundles)

WillCaedes's Avatar


WillCaedes
01.31.2013 , 03:29 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Totaltrash View Post
Well, at launch naming policy was enforced because LucasArt didn't want players to use original Starwars names and some people, in fact, lost their names because of that.

Soon after, a flood of Revans (spelled or mis-spelled in every conceivable way) washed over the servers and at the same time, the subs dropped dramatically.

Two "good" reasons for Bioware to give up on enforcing their own policy.
Yes, usually what I do with the folks with the alt code Star Wars name like, Vader, Bane, Nihilus, Revan even...well lets put it this way, I point at them, and laugh. Then I straight up tell them they are unoriginal, and then go about my merry business.

theborch's Avatar


theborch
01.31.2013 , 03:36 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by TUXs View Post
I disagree. When you allow people utter freedom in naming their anonymous online character, some peoples intent becomes to be as vulgar and as offensive as possible for the "lulz"...That type of freedom should not be allowed. This isn't your own personal game, it's a gaming environment we all must share and common social decency should be enforced.
I can understand that position, I just tend to disagree. This game has an ignore feature for a reason. The population that uses vulgar names is very small, I rarely encounter them in game and if I did encounter one that bothered me I would just /ignore them to ensure I would never be grouped with them in anyway.

I do agree that I think there should be social decency in a social environment, however when it comes to the internet I don't think it's going to ever happen, so I have just accepted it as is and moved on.
The Bastion - The BaconStrips Legacy
DukeOfCypress LVL 52 Rage Jugg * WhiskeyLube LVL 50 Seer Sage * PantsHammer LVL 50 Sawbones Scoundrel

leeshil's Avatar


leeshil
01.31.2013 , 03:41 PM | #25
i think that there may be another completely logical reason for letting people bend the naming policy rules:

This game kicked off with somewhere around 2-3Million subscribers and in not even a year was down to, what I believe somebody quoted earlier in this post, as 5-700k subscribers. So, with that having been pointed out, if they started asking every player with a name in violation of the policy to change their name or risk account banishment, the player base would simply respond by quitting the game and citing the 1st amendment as their reasoning. People like to think they are being clever that way, you know. This game is struggling to hold on and the developers, while I agree are having major staffing issues, are doing everything they know how to help this game get off the ground and hopefully find a footing to sustain itself the way WoW did for so long.

So in response to the OP question: Why don't they enforce their own policy? I have two responses:

1. There are major staffing issues and they do the best they can. And,
2. It would just be plain stupid and irresponsible, from a business stand-point, to start upsetting their clientele by enforcing such a policy right now that would most likely end with either an account banishment or the customer leaving voluntarily citing 1st amendment issues. This is because people tend to lash out. They tell their friends why they got banished or quit then their friends quit and tell their friends who then quit and before you know it the game dies from lack of subscribers. They are a business. They are in it to make money. Removing customers from already dwindling numbers is, as I said, JUST PLAIN STUPID!
Arkanus Cloudsurfer

TUXs's Avatar


TUXs
01.31.2013 , 03:43 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by theborch View Post
I do agree that I think there should be social decency in a social environment, however when it comes to the internet I don't think it's going to ever happen, so I have just accepted it as is and moved on.
I fear you're right about that. I accept it where I must (games like APB) and hope it doesn't come here as well is all.
All warfare is based on deception If his forces are united, separate them If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near A leader leads by example not by force
My referral code: here What you get: here (1 FREE transfer 7-day FREE sub FREE Jumpstart and Preferred Bundles)

TUXs's Avatar


TUXs
01.31.2013 , 03:47 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by leeshil View Post
i think that there may be another completely logical reason for letting people bend the naming policy rules:

This game kicked off with somewhere around 2-3Million subscribers and in not even a year was down to, what I believe somebody quoted earlier in this post, as 5-700k subscribers. So, with that having been pointed out, if they started asking every player with a name in violation of the policy to change their name or risk account banishment, the player base would simply respond by quitting the game and citing the 1st amendment as their reasoning. People like to think they are being clever that way, you know. This game is struggling to hold on and the developers, while I agree are having major staffing issues, are doing everything they know how to help this game get off the ground and hopefully find a footing to sustain itself the way WoW did for so long.

So in response to the OP question: Why don't they enforce their own policy? I have two responses:

1. There are major staffing issues and they do the best they can. And,
2. It would just be plain stupid and irresponsible, from a business stand-point, to start upsetting their clientele by enforcing such a policy right now that would most likely end with either an account banishment or the customer leaving voluntarily citing 1st amendment issues. This is because people tend to lash out. They tell their friends why they got banished or quit then their friends quit and tell their friends who then quit and before you know it the game dies from lack of subscribers. They are a business. They are in it to make money. Removing customers from already dwindling numbers is, as I said, JUST PLAIN STUPID!
lol, I'll agree with you on the initial naming thing - when 2+ million players leave, most having made 2+ characters, that's a crap ton of "normal" names removed from play.

However...the players who would get "upset" and "lash out" over being made to change an obviously offensive name, are the kinda people I'd rather not even play with.

Also...this is Bioware's game. The 1st amendment doesn't apply to anyone here on the forums, nor to players in-game. You voluntarily come here and are expected to follow the rules.
All warfare is based on deception If his forces are united, separate them If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near A leader leads by example not by force
My referral code: here What you get: here (1 FREE transfer 7-day FREE sub FREE Jumpstart and Preferred Bundles)

JediRelentless's Avatar


JediRelentless
01.31.2013 , 03:55 PM | #28
Just continue to report them. Some people are so desperate for attention they have to resort to these vulgar and classless names.

leeshil's Avatar


leeshil
01.31.2013 , 04:03 PM | #29
However...the players who would get "upset" and "lash out" over being made to change an obviously offensive name, are the kinda people I'd rather not even play with.

Also...this is Bioware's game. The 1st amendment doesn't apply to anyone here on the forums, nor to players in-game. You voluntarily come here and are expected to follow the rules.[/QUOTE]

My point was missed... I was not stating that i agree with people that lash out or that get upset over having to change the name. My point was:

People use the 1st amendment as their reasoning for quitting, regardless of Bioware's game stance on the issue. It is simply the reason they assure themselves as to why they leave the game. Kinda, to make themselves feel good about why they left.

And, 2) My MAIN POINT. BIOWARE does not want to start kicking (banishing, causing to leave) players right now because of how few subs they are currently rocking. So, from a business stand-point, it is financially wiser to just let people slide on the whole naming policy. They, of course, jump in if they receive A LOT of reports on the same name, but otherwise they most likely will just let it go. The cannot afford to kick every jerk that decides to be a dink and pick the most offensive name they can think of simply for the "shock factor"
Arkanus Cloudsurfer

Stunblade's Avatar


Stunblade
01.31.2013 , 04:07 PM | #30
It's not good idea to enforcing player's name because it could affect many player frustrate, limited, sadden, furious..., i myself didn't enjoy guild war 2 because the Areanet jump n starting to banning ppl because of the naming policy, it's stress me that i might not be able to name on my character as "Terminator" or "famous title", nor "Pokemon's name" that could banned me.

Beside, it's only games, why take so serious? Unless it's offensive name, then I'm sure they will do something about it once the player report on em. But serious..., should we report player's name that violate naming policy?
C'mon, where the loled moment?
Lack-luster Pvp server