Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Why is Naming Policy not being enforced?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Why is Naming Policy not being enforced?

Klarick's Avatar


Klarick
01.31.2013 , 02:51 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by TheBBP View Post
There are a couple features to report names that break the policy. You can do it through a CS ticket, or if you get close to them and target them, right-click on their portrait > Report > Player Name.

Naming policies are enforced. Often they need to be reported though.
I just saw this after replying to the other input, so my apologies for the double post. That's my point exactly TheBBP. I have reported them, yet nothing is ever done even after months of the report action.

@Lium: It is my business. I pay, therefore I have a voice. Obviously you care, although on the other side of the argument, or you wouldn;t have posted a reply.
Klarick -- Healing PUGS since 16 March 1999

TheBBP's Avatar


TheBBP
01.31.2013 , 02:55 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Klarick View Post
I just saw this after replying to the other input, so my apologies for the double post. That's my point exactly TheBBP. I have reported them, yet nothing is ever done even after months of the report action.
Sometimes it does take a while, but name changes do get forced. I have witnessed this.
REPUBLIC TROOPERS
Crosswire - Heavy GunnerElíta-one - Combat Medic
Canonball - Pointman

Ebon Hawk

Klarick's Avatar


Klarick
01.31.2013 , 02:56 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by theborch View Post
Do these names really effect your day? Unless it's a RP server, who cares. I mean if it's insanely vulgar I can partly understand but if your an adult who when they read a bad word you go into fits and foam at the mouth with rage I think you have the bigger problem then the halfwits naming their characters. I for one am impressed sometimes with the creative ways people try to get around the system. I would suggest either get over it or start reporting names. Outside of that I don't really know what you want done.
I am indeed an adult. No it doesn't "effect" me; however, it does "affect" me. Are there things that "affect" you? I'm sure there are. I appreciate your reply, but I really don't have any other problems as you suggest.

Life is very good my friend.
Klarick -- Healing PUGS since 16 March 1999

theborch's Avatar


theborch
01.31.2013 , 02:57 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by TheBBP View Post
Sometimes it does take a while, but name changes do get forced. I have witnessed this.
He is right. I have also been made aware of name changes.
The Bastion - The BaconStrips Legacy
DukeOfCypress LVL 52 Rage Jugg * WhiskeyLube LVL 50 Seer Sage * PantsHammer LVL 50 Sawbones Scoundrel

theborch's Avatar


theborch
01.31.2013 , 02:59 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Klarick View Post
I am indeed an adult. No it doesn't "effect" me; however, it does "affect me". Are there things that "affect" you? I'm sure there are. I appreciate your reply, but I really don't have any other problems as you suggest.

Life is very good my friend.
Ah, now I understand why it bothers you. Everything makes sense now that you have resorted to correcting people grammar.

For someone who was very adamant about people staying on topic you sure quickly jumped at the chance to not do so with this response.
The Bastion - The BaconStrips Legacy
DukeOfCypress LVL 52 Rage Jugg * WhiskeyLube LVL 50 Seer Sage * PantsHammer LVL 50 Sawbones Scoundrel

Klarick's Avatar


Klarick
01.31.2013 , 03:04 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by theborch View Post
Ah, now I understand why it bothers you. Everything makes sense now that you have resorted to correcting people grammar.
Huh? If someone is going to post a, although slight, insult then yes I believe they need to have an understanding of the words "affect" and "effect". However, correcting grammar has nothing to do with reporting vulgar and hate-filled names such as FA^^OTKILLER", and having an expectation that the name be changed.

I typically do not correct grammar as mine is far from perfect; but, I did feel it appropriate here.

Stay on topic please.
Klarick -- Healing PUGS since 16 March 1999

Totaltrash's Avatar


Totaltrash
01.31.2013 , 03:14 PM | #17
Well, at launch naming policy was enforced because LucasArt didn't want players to use original Starwars names and some people, in fact, lost their names because of that.

Soon after, a flood of Revans (spelled or mis-spelled in every conceivable way) washed over the servers and at the same time, the subs dropped dramatically.

Two "good" reasons for Bioware to give up on enforcing their own policy.

Klarick's Avatar


Klarick
01.31.2013 , 03:14 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by theborch View Post
That one word in the sentence that you decided to pick out caused zero confusion to anyone, including yourself. You clearly understood what I intended to say as you decided to respond to exactly what I meant. You should have kept your focus on why your gaming day is ruined by people with off color names. I also partially agreed with you that certain things should be brought to the game developers attention. However, you are also lying when you say that it doesn't AFFECT you because if these people's names had no AFFECT on you, you wouldn't have come to the forums to complain about Bioware's no enforcement of the naming policy.
Hiya friend. At some point you stopped reading what I wrote. I clearly stated that it does affect me. Does it "ruin my gaming day"? lol ummm...no. Why do trolls have to be so far on one side or the other, as in "ruins my day"?. No, it does not my friend. Far from it. However, I do feel the naming policy should be enforced.

Do you?
Klarick -- Healing PUGS since 16 March 1999

theborch's Avatar


theborch
01.31.2013 , 03:19 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Klarick View Post
Hiya friend. At some point you stopped reading what I wrote. I clearly stated that it does affect me. Does it "ruin my gaming day"? lol ummm...no. Why do trolls have to be so far on one side or the other, as in "ruins my day"?. No, it does not my friend. Far from it. However, I do feel the naming policy should be enforced.

Do you?
No, I do not. I believe, outside of RP servers, that you should be able to name yourself what very you want. If you get enjoyment running around the game as C*ckSmuggler3000 then have at it. As much as it is not my first choice of as a name, I don't expect other people to conform to my sense of right and wrong in a virtual world. I believe that, as one poster has already pointed out, the naming policy is old and outdated and Bioware probably doesn't take it as serious as they once did.
The Bastion - The BaconStrips Legacy
DukeOfCypress LVL 52 Rage Jugg * WhiskeyLube LVL 50 Seer Sage * PantsHammer LVL 50 Sawbones Scoundrel

Sinras's Avatar


Sinras
01.31.2013 , 03:23 PM | #20
Naming policies are rarely enforced at character creation in most MMOs. As well as many message boards.

Typically offensive names/words need to be programed into a database somewhere and this takes time. Also some words could be innocent in one context and offensive in others, depending on the words/letters around it.. It would also take the people in charge to know and understand every slang term for everything offensive around the world. Using foreign letters (ascii characters) , or misspellings also avoid most name checkers.

If you find a name that offends you and violates the naming policy then report the name. In a couple of days they be forced to rename the character. If they are still using the name, report it again.