Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why is Naming Policy not being enforced?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Why is Naming Policy not being enforced?

Klarick
01.31.2013 , 12:47 PM | #1
After FTP this has become a serious issue. Yes I know I can use the ignore function. However, that is NOT the point! Why have a STATED naming policy, yet not enforce it?

Bioware just needs to drop the policy and let us all know that naming your toon after a sexual act, or a racist slur, or curse words is OK. I have reported individuals mutliple times, as has my wife, over months now, yet nothing happens.

Basically, if you have a policy ENFORCE it!
Klarick -- Healing PUGS since 16 March 1999

Manifoldgodhead
01.31.2013 , 12:54 PM | #2
I was making a bright purple Chios agent the other day and was playing around with names using violet and ultraviolet. I got pissed and just typed in Ultravioletsex. Next thing I know I'm loading Hutta.
ITS THE FUTURE

Frostbyt
01.31.2013 , 12:59 PM | #3
Sorry but bioware and its staff of 7 people have more pressing matters to attend to.
The Harbinger, Krath Origin
Frost'byte PT • Frost'bite OpMed • Frostbit Sorc • Nomadis Mara • Fr๓stbite Sniper
Armor'mech CombatMedic • Armsdealer GS • $%^&2 Guard

BrianDavion
01.31.2013 , 02:18 PM | #4
there's an option to report a name. report it. they don't have eneugh time to check out every name by themselves. you need to do your part.

Lium
01.31.2013 , 02:21 PM | #5
I don't get why the OP cares so much. I myself always make names that I think sound appropriate for the setting, but I couldn't care less if someone names their toon Ipwnhard or something.

How does this at all affect gameplay? Mind your own business.

theborch
01.31.2013 , 02:23 PM | #6
Do these names really effect your day? Unless it's a RP server, who cares. I mean if it's insanely vulgar I can partly understand but if your an adult who when they read a bad word you go into fits and foam at the mouth with rage I think you have the bigger problem then the halfwits naming their characters. I for one am impressed sometimes with the creative ways people try to get around the system. I would suggest either get over it or start reporting names. Outside of that I don't really know what you want done.
The Bastion - The BaconStrips Legacy
DukeOfCypress LVL 52 Rage Jugg * WhiskeyLube LVL 50 Seer Sage * PantsHammer LVL 50 Sawbones Scoundrel

TUXs
01.31.2013 , 02:29 PM | #7
I honestly don't care what people name their toons, but I agree with the OP. Why have rules if they aren't enforced? It's either a violation, or it's not...simple as that.
All warfare is based on deception • If his forces are united, separate them • If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near • A leader leads by example not by force

My referral code: here (what you get here)

SlimsPicken
01.31.2013 , 02:30 PM | #8
Never understood why so many people seem so damn concerned with what other name their characters.

I work with people in real life who have like 5-6 names with 12+ letters in each name, I dont report them, I just call them "dude". They can call themselves whatever they want. doesnt mean I have to call them that.

So if someone picks a lame name in the game just call them Homer or something.
For every man there is a sentence, a string of words, which has the power to destroy him.

Rankyn
01.31.2013 , 02:40 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Klarick View Post
Have you reported these names to Customer Service or do you just expect a CS droid to log on and walk around all the planets on all the servers and look around to see who's named what?

They've got a filter in place that'll catch some things but internet people, being what they are, will always find ways to work around them.
Even with some sort of automated database scan, there's no way they can ever hope to predict every offensive thing people will come up with.

If YOU find an offensive name, it is YOUR responsibility to report it.
At that point, BioWare will investigate and take action based on their policies.

It should also probably be pointed out that 1) just because you're offended by something that it isn't necessarily offensive, and 2) there's no rule against stupid names.

TheBBP
01.31.2013 , 02:44 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Klarick View Post
After FTP this has become a serious issue. Yes I know I can use the ignore function. However, that is NOT the point! Why have a STATED naming policy, yet not enforce it?

Bioware just needs to drop the policy and let us all know that naming your toon after a sexual act, or a racist slur, or curse words is OK. I have reported individuals mutliple times, as has my wife, over months now, yet nothing happens.

There are a couple features to report names that break the policy. You can do it through a CS ticket, or if you get close to them and target them, right-click on their portrait > Report > Player Name.

Naming policies are enforced. Often they need to be reported though.
Crosswire - Republic Commando / Balloch - Bounty Hunter
Co-Leader of WotM/ALitD Family/Christian Guilds
Site : Recruitment Thread
The Ebon Hawk