Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Good or Bad Indicators from EA Q3 reports?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Good or Bad Indicators from EA Q3 reports?

Banegio
01.30.2013 , 05:18 PM | #1
http://investor.ea.com/releasedetail...leaseID=736891

http://files.shareholder.com/downloa...ript_FINAL.pdf

Quote:
Subscriptions, advertising, and other digital revenue contributed $79 million, growing 18% over the same period last year. The current year includes a full quarter of Star Wars subscriptions, but it was offset by a decline in other licensing digital revenue. As a reminder, the non-GAAP revenue continues to exclude our Battlefield 3 Premium subscription service. For the third quarter, Battlefield 3 Premium generated $28 million in sales, bringing the total premium revenue for the first three quarters to approximately $108 million. We will recognize these sales as revenue in the fourth quarter when we release the fifth expansion pack, entitled End Game, and as another reminder, all of the development and delivery costs have been recognized in the previous quarters.
Quote:
Extra content and free-to-play contributed $185 million, up 50% led by FIFA and Madden Ultimate Team and Star Wars: The Old Republic. These revenues relate to businesses on PC or consoles, where consumers pay for additional digital content -- including virtual characters, map packs and micro-transactions associated with browser based games or MMO’s – like Star Wars. As a reminder, on November 15th we launched our free-to-play option for Star Wars: The Old Republic. Very early indications have been positive and we are pleased with the initial results but it is too early to know how successful this will be in the long term.

itsmymillertime
01.30.2013 , 05:20 PM | #2
making money = game not dying

Lium
01.30.2013 , 05:25 PM | #3
One look at the servers and you can see the game is doing quite well. Keep it up, guys & gals!!!

AshlaBoga
01.30.2013 , 05:26 PM | #4
The problem is how they're making their millions.

They just made a boatload off the Cartel Market.

Does this encourage them:
A) To produce new story content
or
B) To produce more Cartel Market Content?

If I was the CEO I'd look at the numbers and say - MOAR CARTEL CONTENT!
Typhojem Legacy, Jung Ma server
VICIOUS
Lord of Corruption
Click my Referral Code for free goodies!

grombrinda
01.30.2013 , 05:28 PM | #5
Hmm seems like they will go for more casual games , and more cash shop items across the board.
We didn't start the Star Wars,They were already fightin' em,since George was writing them!!

CosmicKat
01.30.2013 , 05:41 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by itsmymillertime View Post
making money = game not dying
Tell that to the City of Heroes team and their players.

jgelling
01.30.2013 , 05:45 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by AshlaBoga View Post

or

You'd think even the cartel stuff would dry up without new content, though. You'd think. Who knows - not like Lucas wasn't able to do well-enough polishing the same original movies.

DaRoamer
01.30.2013 , 05:45 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by AshlaBoga View Post

or

Good thing you're not the CEO, that's a recipe for failure. Of COURSE they want more cartel content, but they know that that is income they want on TOP of subs. No one is going to keep playing the game for cartel market items and if no one is playing they make nothing. So use the cartel market money to make content so people keep playing, then tempt those people to spend extra money on trinkets from the store. It's a win/win.

DerTaran
01.30.2013 , 05:46 PM | #9
The fact, that they mentioned SWTOR several time is a good sign, it seams not to be the unloved stepchild anymore. In other words, it makes money with subscribers and with F2P.
B'zycon Legacy @ JAR'KAI SWORD
Turan 60 Commando; Annakami 60 Vanguard; Orotan 55 Sentinel; Taark 55 Scoundrel; Orokriste 55 Shadow
Amitha 55 Sorcerer; Fanalba17 Sniper

Nous voulons le retour de notre CM! Wir wollen unseren CM zurück! We want our CM back!

macumba
01.30.2013 , 05:47 PM | #10
I just wished people would not register with origin an join the boycott otherwise I see a future where every frickin publisher out there installs these drm stores on our computer and we end up having 10 different origins and steams on our disc and when we buy one game from origin it will install the next shop after downloading (this actually happened with an ubisoft title bought through steam which then installed uplay)

but obviously its not going to happen and ea still has millions of zombies buying their sports titles -.-
the gaming world would just be that much better without them still the people throw money at them. its unbelievable....
Just because you're not paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get you.