Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Please Remove Tank, DPS and Heal

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Please Remove Tank, DPS and Heal

Tsillah
01.31.2013 , 10:51 AM | #101
Quote: Originally Posted by Jrpm View Post
Having read the 9 pages, as I write this, of the thread, I did not see the necessary touch of reality.
You speak of a necessary touch of reality. First of all I don't think it's necessary but secondly what touch of reality are you talking about? This is still a fantasy game as such and to be honest, what you see as reality is not the same for everybody else. 7 billion people, 7 billion realities...

Leaving aside the cliché that as a role playing game you need roles, consider the evolution of war since the American revolution. Tactical combat has gone from armies to squads/teams. Squad members may have two 'specialties', but will only use one in a given fight. The trinity is now a set of rules/roles in the real world and so should be in an role playing game.
I do not see a game needs roles, but I am saying I want them. GW2 doesn't have them and it bores the crap out of me.

And why should something be in a fantasy game that exists in reality? Exactly, it shouldn't. What you meant to say is that YOU would like/want it.

I actually think two more roles may be needed in the swtor Republic, at least. An old style Ranger--low DPS, relative to the warrior class but who doesn't get that close to the scrum. (Possible new tactic, ranger runs drawing the opposition away long enough to allow a healer time to work on the rest of the team without resetting the scenario.)
Your old style ranger is called a sorcerer DPS. It does less damage than melee dps and snipers but it is a ranged dps with a bit of heal and CC options.

I also somewhat favor a crowd control role that stuns/debuffs/debilitates the opposition--real world is the one with the tear gas guns or flashbang grenades.
Kinda like the operative you mean?

Bioware did this kind of setup, I feel, in DAO so it is doable. But I have not heard of it in MMO. (The comments I saw in this thread were more no specialties oriented.)
No idea what you are referring to, but doable doesn't mean desireable. And don't forget: never compare rpg's with MMO's. They are not the same beast. So what's doable in an rpg is not necessarily equally doable in a MMO. That's MMO 101 stuff.

I am just not interested in being a psychopathic killer, whether as a solo or in a group.
Where the hell did this comment come from? I have no idea what this has to do with the topic. I guess you don't like DS Sith characters? Or what? This conclusion has nothing to do with the subject or your own post for that matter....care to explain?
The general forum, where small voices become big and small numbers become majorities

GalacticKegger
01.31.2013 , 12:09 PM | #102
Quote: Originally Posted by SnoggyMack View Post
Champions Online (the subscriber version) has that.
Comic book superhero characters merit special consideration simply because they are superheroes and individually OP by design. Fantasy & sci-fi characters not born as a Marvelesque superhero or supervillain are ill fit for this. A character that can throw a bus through a skyscraper into a hovering armada probably has no need for a tank.
Peace out . . .

Darka
01.31.2013 , 12:30 PM | #103
Remove them and then let everyone decide what class/spec is best for these roles so they can return .. just not officially.

WaywardOne
01.31.2013 , 01:00 PM | #104
I agree that EQ's trinity has run its course and "most" players, x-players and probably a very high percentage of non-mmoers will agree that healing guns are ridiculous and counter-immersive, you're going to find a lot of closed-minded stalwarts that will resist change. There are many players and devs that can't imagine a multiplayer RPG without the trinity. Don't ask me why but you can't assume that everyone will agree with you right out of the gate.

aLLwOrLd_RB
01.31.2013 , 01:45 PM | #105
Quote: Originally Posted by ShatteredVision View Post
Go play GW2 if you're so interested in this. Oh wait, that game is boring as hell after a couple of weeks.

The trinity works fine for this game. QQ somewhere else.
Pretty much this...
Stay Small Kids

Klarick
01.31.2013 , 01:57 PM | #106
Quote: Originally Posted by WaywardOne View Post
I agree that EQ's trinity has run its course and "most" players, x-players and probably a very high percentage of non-mmoers will agree that healing guns are ridiculous and counter-immersive, you're going to find a lot of closed-minded stalwarts that will resist change. There are many players and devs that can't imagine a multiplayer RPG without the trinity. Don't ask me why but you can't assume that everyone will agree with you right out of the gate.
Why do you pretend to talk for so many players? Your implications are wrong. GW2 is boring, soleless, bland, and just empty. Removing the trinity is a bad game design in an MMO.

The "EQ Trinity"? I played EQ for many years and I do have many fond memories of that game. However, to imply EQ invented, created, started, first-to-implement, a Trinity system is just ludicrous. The "Trinity System" was born years before EQ was even thought about being developed -- and I mean by many many years.
Klarick -- Healing PUGS since 16 March 1999

Chaometeor
01.31.2013 , 02:01 PM | #107
Quote: Originally Posted by ShatteredVision View Post
Go play GW2 if you're so interested in this. Oh wait, that game is boring as hell after a couple of weeks.

The trinity works fine for this game. QQ somewhere else.
this
Nothing is true everything is permitted

DarthScruffy
01.31.2013 , 02:02 PM | #108
Quote: Originally Posted by Rafaman View Post
Well... its an old argument. Yea, I've played a couple of games without the holy trinity and ultimately... the specialization occurs anyway as the best strategy. It's just that simple. In my view, I would rather keep it as opposed to having peeps spamming abilities with little or no understanding of how to play as a team.
STO space combat is probably the exception which is universally lauded. You can generally push heals and dps at the same time. Now occasionally you'd run into people enforcing the trinity by withdrawing heals, staying out of fights etc. But generally, all ships could do anything that needed to be done.

Rylorn
01.31.2013 , 02:06 PM | #109
@OP You would REALLY enjoy guild wars 2.
A long time ago in an MMO far,
far away. . .

Approxy Reftach [Illegal Test Kitchen] Shadowlands

Marmerus
01.31.2013 , 02:08 PM | #110
Quote: Originally Posted by Rylorn View Post
@OP You would REALLY enjoy guild wars 2.
Problem with GW2 is that PVP feels like level 19 twink BGs and PVE is just rotations.
@ Bioware
Stop trolling the EU. Fix the downtimes to the middle of the night and not in the middle of the morning / day.