Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

OK Bioware, what's with the lag and crashes??

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
OK Bioware, what's with the lag and crashes??
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

TheNightcrawler
02.02.2013 , 07:17 PM | #1001
I have been having the same problem as well. I called the SWTOR Customer Service and they tell me this as I have a Windows 8 computer: "None of employees have tested the game with Windows 8, so we don't know if there are any problems with it at this moment in time."

So, I send them my Pathping information.

Spoiler

Now, if you notice, I have absolutely no packet loss until I hit the number 9 area. They explained to me that it is a problem with my Internet connection and I probably need to talk to my provider. So, I called them up and they sent out a guy who ran a bunch of tests on my modem and router and said that there was absolutely no problems with them.

So, the real question that needs to be asked is this: If BW says it's not a problem on their end and my provider says it's not a problem on my end, then who the hells end is the problem on?

Edit:>> Also, I'm on Jedi Convenant for my mains out of Louisiana.
Heavily Medicated For Your Safety

Self Control. The Only Way To Survive In This World Dominated by Idiots.

OwenBrooks
02.02.2013 , 07:22 PM | #1002
There is no apparent issue in that pathping, that hop you mentioned is likely just got ICMP turned off.
However if the issue is around hop 8 or 9 then bioware and your isp have no control over it.
Another user saying he was getting crashes in windows 8 did the following and he no longer got crashes.
Unsure if that will help you as well.

- Right-click on the sw:tor desktop icon.
- Properties --> Compatibility -->
- Set 'Compatibility mode' to 'Windows 7'.

TheNightcrawler
02.02.2013 , 07:26 PM | #1003
Owen, look again. On the number 9 one, I lost 100% of the data packet that was sent, where as l lost 0% on all the others.

OwenBrooks
02.02.2013 , 07:33 PM | #1004
Looking ahh i hate this thread too big... i cant find them

9 --- 100/ 100 =100% 100/ 100 =100% mci-level3-30g.dallas3.level3.net [4.68.62.166]
0/ 100 = 0% |

It is possible that the router is set to drop ICMP once a set % of load is reached, ICMP will be the first set to drop due to being low priority, see the 0/100=0% | this says no packets was lost forwarding to the next hop.

TheNightcrawler
02.02.2013 , 07:39 PM | #1005
Yeah, well, I still don't understand the whole thing. BW CS is saying it's nothing on their end, but my provider is saying everything is working perfectly on my end. So, I don't know what the hell is going on and wish I could get some kind of freaking proper answer as, like I said before, I never had a problem with the game until I got my new computer with Windows 8 on it.

Kil-Gorbane
02.02.2013 , 07:39 PM | #1006
Quote: Originally Posted by OwenBrooks View Post
Looking ahh i hate this thread too big... i cant find them

9 --- 100/ 100 =100% 100/ 100 =100% mci-level3-30g.dallas3.level3.net [4.68.62.166]
0/ 100 = 0% |

It is possible that the router is set to drop ICMP once a set % of load is reached, ICMP will be the first set to drop due to being low priority, see the 0/100=0% | this says no packets was lost forwarding to the next hop.
I noticed it was Level3 again. Just to clarify, even though it has no loss on the next hop, would this 100% loss at hop 9 cause a server DC?

FYI- I think BW should pay you Owen since you are more helpful and answering these questions better than customer service.
Olinn | Draconiss
<Lego My Wookiees>

OwenBrooks
02.02.2013 , 07:52 PM | #1007
Quote: Originally Posted by Kil-Gorbane View Post
I noticed it was Level3 again. Just to clarify, even though it has no loss on the next hop, would this 100% loss at hop 9 cause a server DC?

FYI- I think BW should pay you Owen since you are more helpful and answering these questions better than customer service.
Hi Kil-Gorbane

The 10% loss from your router to your ISP would be an instant issue and is carrying forward but the other hops say they are not dropping any further packets forward.
also on the european test at hop 12 is likely causing issues as well, other then that it doesnt show any major issues.
12 121ms 11/ 100 = 11% 0/ 100 = 0% dln-b3-link.telia.net [80.91.249.134]
9/ 100 = 9% |
9% loss forwarding to next hop.
Just also remember that these tests do not show the return path but will show issues and can make educated deductions.

Edit - As much as I would like to say Level 3 is the culprit I can't

TheNightcrawler
02.02.2013 , 07:53 PM | #1008
Kil-Gorbane:>> I haven't had a DC because I never let the game run for very long. I'm on for a minute or two to check what the server lag is doing (which is jumping all over the place) and then I usually log out. I guess if I left it running long enough, I would probably end up getting DC.

kcirevamnalyd
02.02.2013 , 08:17 PM | #1009
Quote: Originally Posted by Bronholz View Post
Greetings all,

Thanks for contacting us.

There's a few details that I'd like you to provide us with.
  • Server
  • ISP
The Shadowlands
Mitchell Telecom/ Santel
Mitchell SD

nattodaisuki
02.02.2013 , 08:41 PM | #1010
Quote:
Hop number 9 is [4.68.62.166]
If you look the ip up at http://whatismyipaddress.com
It tells you that..

IP: 4.68.62.166
Decimal: 71581350
Hostname: mci-level3-30g.dallas3.level3.net
ISP: Level 3 Communications
Org: Level 3 Communications
Services: None detected
Type: Dial-up
Assignment: Static IP

Dial up? Really?? is this info accurate?

Quote:
Now, if you notice, I have absolutely no packet loss until I hit the number 9 area. They explained to me that it is a problem with my Internet connection and I probably need to talk to my provider. So, I called them up and they sent out a guy who ran a bunch of tests on my modem and router and said that there was absolutely no problems with them.

So, the real question that needs to be asked is this: If BW says it's not a problem on their end and my provider says it's not a problem on my end, then who the hells end is the problem on?
BW says there's no problem on their end, which is probably true.
Your Provider says there's no problem on their end as well, which is probably true as well.

However, you asked them to check your connection.
This means they checked the connection between YOU and THEM, NOT Between THEM and the SWTOR Servers where the REAL problem is.

Since it's something in between BW's network and your ISP's network, there's really nothing BW nor your ISP can do other than report the issue.

I've have been logged on to my server all day since yesterday (I craft a lot) without ever being booted nor the meter going red, but here's my Pathping if it makes anyone feel better.

You may notice I connect to Swtor servers using a completely different route. I play from Tokyo, Japan.
I'm also on a 1.5 GB/s Fiber Optic Leased line on a corporate account.

Spoiler

How to generate a TraceRoute and PathPing
My slightly over-spec Rig, built specifically for Swtor: Core i7 3820 OC'ed @4.6GHz / MSI X79A-GD65 Mobo / Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866MHz 8GB x8 / Four 120GB 6Gb/s SSD in RAID0 / nVidia GTX Titan / Enermax Platimax 1200 watt PSU / 3 Acer HN274Hbmiiid 3D Compatible 27inch monitors. CPU and the GTX Titan are custom water-cooled.