Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Constant Lag Spikes

HOZE_HEAD
01.28.2013 , 09:08 PM | #1
Hi for about a week now I have been getting intermittent server latency every minute or so, the ms will vary from low (37ms) to high (800+ ms). I have taken all the usual measures (updating drivers and ensuring nothing else is downloading and a DNS flush) but that was no help.

Spoiler

Any help would be really appreciated

OwenBrooks
01.28.2013 , 09:16 PM | #2
This is very unusual and very high for hop 1 what sort of connection do you have to the internet ?

462ms 0/ 100 = 0% 0/ 100 = 0% 199.212.78.1 this should be more like 2 - 20 ms not 500ms

Edit - if you are connecting wireless try connecting wired and re-run the tracert to see if hop 1 time drops consistantly

HOZE_HEAD
01.28.2013 , 09:20 PM | #3
I have a wired connection. I guess i should have mentioned that I am currently living at university and am in a dorm room. That may explain the latency in the test

OwenBrooks
01.28.2013 , 09:23 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by HOZE_HEAD View Post
I have a wired connection. I guess i should have mentioned that I am currently living at university and am in a dorm room. That may explain the latency in the test
It likely does , tell them all to get off the internet you want to play swtor that first hop being 500ms at the time you ran the tracert is in the university for certain.

Edit - have a talk to the school network administrators they will know if 500ms is normal or not

HOZE_HEAD
01.28.2013 , 09:25 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by OwenBrooks View Post
It likely does , tell them all to get off the internet you want to play swtor that first hop being 500ms at the time you ran the tracert is in the university for certain.

Edit - have a talk to the school network administrators they will know if 500ms is normal or not
Lol ill make sure to tell them. Does this mean that I can't do anything about the ingame latency?

OwenBrooks
01.28.2013 , 09:30 PM | #6
Lol ill make sure to tell them. Does this mean that I can't do anything about the ingame latency?
Not likely if the ping times are changing all the time on the first hop, that is why I said talk to the university admin they will know if it is meant to be that high, it may not be if you do get 30ms at times.

HOZE_HEAD
01.28.2013 , 09:32 PM | #7
Not likely if the ping times are changing all the time on the first hop, that is why I said talk to the university admin they will know if it is meant to be that high, it may not be if you do get 30ms at times.
Ok well thanks for your help ill contact them in the morning

HOZE_HEAD
01.28.2013 , 09:49 PM | #8
Sorry one more question could the packet loss be responsible for the latency? Like i said earlier most of the time the latency is low but it spikes for aprox 2 second about every minute and it seems that the hop time is pretty constant. I dont know much about this stuff so im sorry if im just being annoying. This has been quite frustrating :P

OwenBrooks
01.28.2013 , 09:53 PM | #9
Sorry one more question could the packet loss be responsible for the latency? Like i said earlier most of the time the latency is low but it spikes for aprox 2 second about every minute and it seems that the hop time is pretty constant. I dont know much about this stuff so im sorry if im just being annoying. This has been quite frustrating :P
To answer that question, maybe, However I have had 73 % + packet loss on a router with nil issues when i have run pathpings myself, input lag can be as simply from vsynch as it does introduce input lag on some machines.

If your pings on hop 1 are fluctuating from low to high then i would think this is likely more a contributing factor, ping that high indicates congestion from word go.

-GateKeeper-
01.28.2013 , 09:54 PM | #10
Been having the same issue. There's nothing wrong with my connection either.

Clearly some ones sleeping on the job over in their IT department. It's a wonder the servers don't crash constantly.
"Two there should be. No more, no less. One to embody power, the other to crave it."
- Darth Bane to Zannah