Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Lost Island......Really bothering me.

SkyVendor
01.25.2013 , 11:22 PM | #1
So ive been playing my Jedi guardian toon with a tank spec for a while now and i have almost full black hole gear on....and ive really been trying to get good at tanking....But despite my best efforts i just cant freakig tank the second boss on lost island, that F'ing droid has given me more trouble than anything else... ive read some stuff about the fight and have tanked it a few times but he still almost always kicks my ***.....

anyone out there that can give me some tips/hints/help..... I want to master tanking this fight..... it really makes me feel like ive wasted allot of time when i cant do what i am spec'ed to do, and what my group needs me to do.
thanks

Swaption
01.26.2013 , 12:02 AM | #2
Second boss is a joke once the group gets the mechanics down. If you having trouble purely in tanking, it is probably the healer's fault.
Kgu - Sniper | Kzg - Mercenary | K-g - Marauder

Missandei
01.26.2013 , 01:23 AM | #3
The droid boss fight is very esy. Just keep aggro and interrupt incinerate. And kite him around the room if all DPS are melee. Nothing more.

If you have troubles tanking it... just give up on tanking and go DPS tree.
Missandei Shadow ...yet shadows can kill. And oft-times a very small man can cast a very large shadow.

TomWolp
01.26.2013 , 01:32 AM | #4
For the droid boss, the key thing for the tank is to interrupt incinerate as quickly as you can. That cast puts a stacking DOT on you, up to 3 stacks which is extremely difficult to heal through. if you don't interrupt it in the first second it will start putting stacks of the DOT on you.

Now a competent healer should cleanse it if you miss it. Of the numerous LI groups i've been a part of, missing incinerate causes most of the wipes.

The second thing is about positioning the boss. With a group of all ranged dps, you can basically tank it in the middle and the lightning balls are not that big of an issue.

With melee, they should be able to move away from the boss to drop the orb but I have only rarely been in groups that will be 100% successful. This means you will have to likely move the boss at some point. This is where you may miss an incinerate since your interrupt is only 4 meters.

However, the key thing with the droid is to interrupt incinerate or have the healer cleanse it if you miss one. Outside of that there can be a little bit of positioning.

warriorcat
01.26.2013 , 07:33 AM | #5
i hate pugging lost island and prob will never pug it again

i dont know what a sorc does there but my operative can do it easily

(he must use toxic scan on incin dots if he dont your dead (unless assassin tank)

it sounds like it is your fault and dps if you have let 3 dots get on you. my guild runs max 1 dot easily healed through, 5 dots is not likely (norm 4 is a wipe but if happens) use toxic scan instant aoe and dot heals, if he still alive tell him (you) to pop cool downs and pay attention next time while your getting your introductions up if your 4-6k crit heals if they don't crit tank should be at 19k health at least by the time incin drops again

now i was speaking like i am towards a healer... but your tank you should know there rotation in case they dont

tip to dps ... keep aggro of healer i norm run with sorc and me being opeartive i stick to his back side while he is killing adds with storm lightning ... doing with 2 mara's is never easy more work for healer incase of a incin fail because you could have 3 people with incinerate dot on them but get heal them last they are not important

(if a dps dies early don't rez him it is possible to do with just a sorc dps and a operative healer (my guild leader and my self knocked the last 45% health of him) save the rez for final 15% and put on the tank i say 15% not likely to wipe if you made it that far with only 2 people
Aim the rockets at Tomb of Freedom Nadd!
Level 50's Darkri/Zeraya//Jess'e char slots used 11/12
level 55 Raffes

Beattle
01.26.2013 , 07:40 AM | #6
Just to add about the incinerate, since it is the only thing interuptable, everyone should be doing it if they can.

If the tank has to move to avoid the bubbles, they may miss it. I find this at times with my tank. When I am on dps Shadow, I am always behind him, so I will hit every interupt I can to help the tank concentrate on moving. Teamwork here is important for an easy kill.
* OBSERVATION: I sense you are disturbed by the lack of Beta invite, Meatbag *

See you all at the launch lunch, or early access brunch.
SHADOW REPUBLIC

SalBasss
01.26.2013 , 07:59 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by warriorcat View Post
doing with 2 mara's is never easy more work for healer incase of a incin fail because you could have 3 people with incinerate dot on them but get heal them last they are not important
Honestly if your Marauders are EVER getting the Incinerate debuff, they do not know the fight well enough. If they are positioned properly (ie behind the boss) they will not get hit by it.

VigDiath
01.26.2013 , 08:09 AM | #8
This is what I've found while tanking this boss...if the healer sucks we are going to wipe! I'm sure that's the case with most FP's but it is especially so with this one. Every time I've wiped it's been because of a bad healer. Bad DPS on this means the dps will die.

I wouldn't even say holding threat is an issue even with the adds. It's very distracting especially when you have dps running toward you with a bubble following them and drop it right behind you but I can adjust for that. I cannot adjust for a healer not dropping heals at the right time. I had a healer (commando) who waited until I was about 30% health before dropping a heal and by then it was too late. I've had under-geared Healers try to run it and we wiped. In fact I ran it last monday and wiped 3 times. I didn't run it again until later in the week.

The healing on this really makes a difference from the tanking perspective. I'm sure a healer will say the same about the tank as well but I've tanked this successfully too many times to know it's not an issue holding aggro for me.
Jedi Covenant (The Baltimore Legacy)
Laaron - 55 (Shadow Tank) Eulora - 55 (Sage Healer)
Madmartygan - 55 (Guardian DPS) Skylaadawn - 55 (Sab Smug)
Akon - 55 (Carnage Marauder) L'aron - 53 (Sorc Healer)

SkyVendor
01.26.2013 , 09:31 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Beattle View Post
Just to add about the incinerate, since it is the only thing interuptable, everyone should be doing it if they can.

If the tank has to move to avoid the bubbles, they may miss it. I find this at times with my tank. When I am on dps Shadow, I am always behind him, so I will hit every interupt I can to help the tank concentrate on moving. Teamwork here is important for an easy kill.
I totaly agree here about everyone helping with incinerate,its hard to hit every incinerate when kiting the boss around the room while holding agro.... I know the tank has An important role and that it has to be played right, But i think he takes the blame a little to much sometimes... everyone deff has to play there part well to make this one work.

well i will get back on today and try again, we will see how it goes.

Fiamma_Verde
01.26.2013 , 10:32 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by VigDiath View Post
This is what I've found while tanking this boss...if the healer sucks we are going to wipe! I'm sure that's the case with most FP's but it is especially so with this one. Every time I've wiped it's been because of a bad healer. Bad DPS on this means the dps will die.

I wouldn't even say holding threat is an issue even with the adds. It's very distracting especially when you have dps running toward you with a bubble following them and drop it right behind you but I can adjust for that. I cannot adjust for a healer not dropping heals at the right time. I had a healer (commando) who waited until I was about 30% health before dropping a heal and by then it was too late. I've had under-geared Healers try to run it and we wiped. In fact I ran it last monday and wiped 3 times. I didn't run it again until later in the week.

The healing on this really makes a difference from the tanking perspective. I'm sure a healer will say the same about the tank as well but I've tanked this successfully too many times to know it's not an issue holding aggro for me.
Honestly, a bad healer can make nearly any fight next to impossible, but this one isn't very healing intensive at all as long as everyone is doing what they are supposed to (e.g. Staying behind the boss, moving the lightning, interrupting incinerate). Most of the wipes I see on this fight are due to dps dropping lightning balls on the tank, and the tank not knowing how to compensate and start kiting. While kiting, I've also seen a dps drop lighting infront of the tank, and trapping the group. Really the only issues a healer might be having for this fight are Los problems, or incinerate being left too long and hitting the melees as well. I don't know about commandos and sages, but a smugglers cleanse is on a 6 second cool down, so if three people are hit by incinerate, the healer is going to have a rough time.

The soft enrage on this one can be damn near impossible to deal with as wel unless you have a well coordinated group, but in my experience, a well coordinated group doesn't usually hit the enrage timer.