Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Same gender romance discussion

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender romance discussion
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

stuffystuffs's Avatar


stuffystuffs
03.29.2013 , 08:54 AM | #631
Yeah, from my understanding, there are f/f flirts on both sides.

However, only the Republic Makeb storyline features a female NPC (who seems to be important to the story) where you can have a 'mini' romance story.
Node guarder

Kioma's Avatar


Kioma
03.29.2013 , 12:50 PM | #632
Quote: Originally Posted by stuffystuffs View Post
Yeah, from my understanding, there are f/f flirts on both sides.

However, only the Republic Makeb storyline features a female NPC (who seems to be important to the story) where you can have a 'mini' romance story.
I like mini romance stories. Good for head-canon.
::Please Stand By, Signature Assessment Probe Commencing Analysis::

kellindae's Avatar


kellindae
03.29.2013 , 01:37 PM | #633
I guess I'll cool down a little knowing that...still gonna spend next two weekends leveling up a pub scoundrel though since the longer arc sounds more interesting. Thanks for the replies!

FuryoftheStars's Avatar


FuryoftheStars
03.29.2013 , 01:37 PM | #634
Quote: Originally Posted by Bomyne View Post
They need to make it make sense. Throwing a character's personality to the wind would be bad.

That said however, I agree with you on the Mako thing. IF they can make it fit her character, I would like to see her open for SGR. But only if it doesn't change who Mako is.
My opinion on this matter is kind of this. If the character personality is open to SGR, then yeah. If not, then having the option available kind of breaks the immersion of the character. I'm sorry, but I'm going to drag RL into this (seems the argument for including SGR stems mostly from it being in RL). Not everyone is gay/bi/whatever. Just because someone is open to flirting with one person or type of person doesn't mean they are open to all. There should be some characters that will be OGR only, some that are SGR only, and some that are both. On that note though, they should have them equally dispersed over both factions and genders.
The Shadowlands
||| Vanguard | Sage | Sentinel | Scoundrel

stuffystuffs's Avatar


stuffystuffs
03.29.2013 , 01:38 PM | #635
Quote: Originally Posted by Kioma View Post
I like mini romance stories. Good for head-canon.
I do agree and it's more than what I expected for Makeb, to be honest.

I believe the game has a few like these for some classes.
Node guarder

SithKoriandr's Avatar


SithKoriandr
03.29.2013 , 02:01 PM | #636
Quote: Originally Posted by FuryoftheStars View Post
My opinion on this matter is kind of this. If the character personality is open to SGR, then yeah. If not, then having the option available kind of breaks the immersion of the character. I'm sorry, but I'm going to drag RL into this (seems the argument for including SGR stems mostly from it being in RL). Not everyone is gay/bi/whatever. Just because someone is open to flirting with one person or type of person doesn't mean they are open to all. There should be some characters that will be OGR only, some that are SGR only, and some that are both. On that note though, they should have them equally dispersed over both factions and genders.
Like in RL?
"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more...than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so *********** what." - Stephen Fry

chuixupu's Avatar


chuixupu
03.29.2013 , 02:02 PM | #637
I understand some people are deeply disappointed about faction limitation. I know I would have loved to have a good romance option for my female bounty hunter (not that I know if the Makeb ones are really good or not yet), since I found Torian to be sadly vapid. Also I have no higher level female pub toons. I guess it'll motivate me to finally level my Sentinel.

I think this is still a good step in the right direction. There is no longer any reason to doubt SGR's presence in the game, and there will almost definitely be more added in the future.

I'm pretty sure the writers would have gladly written dialogue for male and female romances on each faction, but hiring 2 more voice actors and having to QA two more romance quest arcs probably would have pushed the time and budget out too far. I remember someone asked Hall Hood about SGRs in Makeb several months back and he was like "I don't know anything about it yet, but I'd sure enjoy writing them! (this was before the infamous tweets that were removed). It wasn't THAT long ago, so it seems like the SGRs got tacked on pretty late in production.

I'm very interested in seeing how the SGR romances are written (particularly the male/male); will they be easy to get into, will they be full of stereotypes etc... Also, I know we brought up flirts in groups and how they usually didn't work in groups in the past, but it could be different this time around since I get the impression they want the new story content to be more group friendly.
Wardens of Fate / Alea Iacta Est
The Tarkus Legacy ~ The Harbinger/Jedi Covenant

SithKoriandr's Avatar


SithKoriandr
03.29.2013 , 02:04 PM | #638
Quote: Originally Posted by kellindae View Post
I guess I'll cool down a little knowing that...still gonna spend next two weekends leveling up a pub scoundrel though since the longer arc sounds more interesting. Thanks for the replies!
Now see, they're probably doing you a favor! Sounds like the only thing that would have gotten you to roll a Smuggler is this!

Is it EPIC HERO TIME? No. But it has been enjoyable!
"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more...than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so *********** what." - Stephen Fry

Kioma's Avatar


Kioma
03.29.2013 , 03:18 PM | #639
Quote: Originally Posted by FuryoftheStars View Post
My opinion on this matter is kind of this. If the character personality is open to SGR, then yeah. If not, then having the option available kind of breaks the immersion of the character. I'm sorry, but I'm going to drag RL into this (seems the argument for including SGR stems mostly from it being in RL). Not everyone is gay/bi/whatever. Just because someone is open to flirting with one person or type of person doesn't mean they are open to all. There should be some characters that will be OGR only, some that are SGR only, and some that are both. On that note though, they should have them equally dispersed over both factions and genders.
That's a fair point, and one that's been voiced many times, but the tricky thing is: who says what personalities 'fit' a given sexuality? People aren't neat and regular. They don't fit into universal patterns. My oldest brother is gay but most people would never pick it (unless they saw him with his partner). I'm bi but most people don't pick that. What is a 'gay personality'? The thing is, you see, the only reason people connect specific sexuality with overall personality is because in most places of the world non-heterosexuals are seen as being 'different' and are whitewashed with templates for what their 'acceptable' behaviour is.

I don't see why Doc can't be bi, Kira can't be a lesbian, Mako can't be a transgendered female heterosexual. Why not? It could easily be made to fit all their stories.
::Please Stand By, Signature Assessment Probe Commencing Analysis::

SithKoriandr's Avatar


SithKoriandr
03.29.2013 , 07:32 PM | #640
Quote: Originally Posted by Kioma View Post
That's a fair point, and one that's been voiced many times, but the tricky thing is: who says what personalities 'fit' a given sexuality? People aren't neat and regular. They don't fit into universal patterns. My oldest brother is gay but most people would never pick it (unless they saw him with his partner). I'm bi but most people don't pick that. What is a 'gay personality'? The thing is, you see, the only reason people connect specific sexuality with overall personality is because in most places of the world non-heterosexuals are seen as being 'different' and are whitewashed with templates for what their 'acceptable' behaviour is.

I don't see why Doc can't be bi, Kira can't be a lesbian, Mako can't be a transgendered female heterosexual. Why not? It could easily be made to fit all their stories.
1) Hollywood.

2) People in RL who just live the stereotype.

3) Same reason some think Corso could be gay. It's how each person see's the characters. Problem is, while there may be more than one way to see a character, there is very likely to be the one way MOST PEOPLE see the character.
"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more...than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so *********** what." - Stephen Fry