Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Same gender romance discussion

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender romance discussion
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Sidenti
03.01.2014 , 11:25 AM | #3281
In an ideal setting, all things being fair, there's no appreciable difference between a heterosexual romantic relationship and a homosexual romantic relationship. (NOTE: Mechanical differences during intercourse aren't something I consider "appreciable differences" - sex can be had many many many MANY ways. Anyway.) So why not just open up all of the romance lines for both sexes?

Seems the most equitable solution for an equality issue. -bp

drakensang
03.01.2014 , 04:29 PM | #3282
Quote: Originally Posted by Sidenti View Post
In an ideal setting, all things being fair, there's no appreciable difference between a heterosexual romantic relationship and a homosexual romantic relationship. (NOTE: Mechanical differences during intercourse aren't something I consider "appreciable differences" - sex can be had many many many MANY ways. Anyway.) So why not just open up all of the romance lines for both sexes?

Seems the most equitable solution for an equality issue. -bp
It would, but I guess the swtor-team and/or EA were more afraid of the straight male gamer than the Dragon Age team.

On an unrelated note: I found that the SW-EU actually had a case of GRS.

Tatile
03.01.2014 , 06:05 PM | #3283
Quote: Originally Posted by drakensang View Post
...that's such a weird way of spelling it. From the associated character page, it was a "sex and species" change, but... "genderative"? Whaaa.

"It was a possible means to hide one's identity, but it was generally seen as a rather extreme method. "

I can guess why that's the only documented reason for the surgery, in the EU.

drakensang
03.02.2014 , 04:09 AM | #3284
Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
...that's such a weird way of spelling it. From the associated character page, it was a "sex and species" change, but... "genderative"? Whaaa.

"It was a possible means to hide one's identity, but it was generally seen as a rather extreme method. "

I can guess why that's the only documented reason for the surgery, in the EU.
The author of the article probably didn't know the common terms. But come to think of it: If they can do trans-spezies, and taking into account the Star Wars cyborg technology, which should make a miniaturized hormone-synthesizer or functional hydraulic replacement parts not that difficult, it would reduce the transgender problem to reprodutive and ideological issues.

Tatile
03.02.2014 , 05:57 AM | #3285
The author of the article probably didn't know the common terms. But come to think of it: If they can do trans-spezies, and taking into account the Star Wars cyborg technology, which should make a miniaturized hormone-synthesizer or functional hydraulic replacement parts not that difficult, it would reduce the transgender problem to reprodutive and ideological issues.
And considering the great wealth of cultural differences, not just extra-species, but intra-species, it's also likely that such ideological concerns would be limited to pockets. The Empire is strictly anti-alien, with a definite class system (from what I can tell) and rigid social structure, but the nature of their gender roles is never touched upon. We can then assume that is as reasonable to assume they throw out the gender and sex binaries as keep them*.

Also, reproductive problems aren't much for medical science - I feel the eugenics program hinted at in the Agent story line could have been largely artificial, ala A Brave New World; couple that with what we know of developing medical science here on Earth, and the option of using identical gametes, with or without a donor ovum, is a possibility.

*because I know that people love to assume that no evidence to the contrary is indicative of the set-up being identical to what the West has set up, I felt that it was kind of necessary to say that it could be quite alternative

Sidenti
03.02.2014 , 10:00 AM | #3286
It would, but I guess the swtor-team and/or EA were more afraid of the straight male gamer than the Dragon Age team.

I'm really not interested in guesses and suppositions. I want to know if there are potential issues with this particular solution.

Frankly, I don't care WHY the situation is what it is. I can worry about that after it's resolved. But sitting here guessing isn't going to make this effort move any faster. -bp

Tatile
03.02.2014 , 10:03 AM | #3287
Quote: Originally Posted by Sidenti View Post
I'm really not interested in guesses and suppositions. I want to know if there are potential issues with this particular solution.

Frankly, I don't care WHY the situation is what it is. I can worry about that after it's resolved. But sitting here guessing isn't going to make this effort move any faster. -bp
Unfortunately, we don't have an answer for why Bioware didn't implement SGRAs the first time round (it ranges from "gays don't exist in Star Wars" (an official line that was later officially rescinded) to "but it's so hard *whine*") or why they continue to not have them in game (ranges from "but it's so hard *whine*" to "the Cartel Market/PvP/PvE/Swoop Racing/playing cat's cradle takes precedence")

So all we have is conjecture.

Dethmold
03.10.2014 , 06:15 AM | #3288
So, Bioware provides us with a housing system now. Yay, I guess...
I do have to wonder though, if you did anything that isn't considered heterosexual in your house, would they automatically move you to an apartment on planet Makeb?

Tatile
03.10.2014 , 06:33 AM | #3289
Quote: Originally Posted by Dethmold View Post
I do have to wonder though, if you did anything that isn't considered heterosexual in your house, would they automatically move you to an apartment on planet Makeb?
Only if you're Imperial.
And a dude.

vadess
03.10.2014 , 01:19 PM | #3290
Quote: Originally Posted by Dethmold View Post
Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
Only if you're Imperial.
And a dude.
Well, guess we all know where my sniper is off to... Can Cytharat come?????
Have 7 days subscription, and a free character transfer on me: http://www.swtor.com/r/yM6Njk