Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Same gender romance discussion

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender romance discussion
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Palar's Avatar


Palar
11.18.2013 , 05:19 PM | #2541
Quote: Originally Posted by copperjack View Post
I would agree with you in this situation if every droid were referred to as 'he' unless given an obviously feminine voice or shape like SCORPIO. But given that the majority of the droids are referred to as 'it' even when they do have a male voice I just don't see it. The default for droids here is no gender, not male.
Are they, though? Of the top of my head, thinking about just A New Hope, and:

"I stumbled across a recording, while cleaning him."
"He claims to be the property of an Obi-Wan Kenobi."
"He excels at that."

That last one, and a few other lines, show even 3PO refers to R2 as a 'him'. Given that Astromechs have zero distinguishing features, much less voices, that's a likely sign of male being the 'default'. (3PO receives the 'him' treatment too, but his design makes much more sense for that than an Astromech.)

eartharioch's Avatar


eartharioch
11.18.2013 , 05:24 PM | #2542
Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
Programming itself was the brainchild of a woman - Ada Lovelace - but it's still seen as a man's domain. Curious, as well, that a woman invented science-fiction, which was then also furthered by another woman*, and yet we women, apparently, don't "do" science fiction.

*or you could call that science-horror. Margaret Cavendish coined her novel as "fancy"
Tbh, I'd rather not credit any one (man or woman) with founding the field of programming, since its roots go back pretty far in time (abacus, algorithms, etc.). Nor would I credit any one man or woman with "inventing" science fiction. Tbh, almost anything that anybody "creates" draws in some way from people that preceded them, which (imo) is in some sense everybody (man or woman). Stand+Shoulders+Giants
Q: What did the five fingers say to the face?
A: It's a SLAP!

copperjack's Avatar


copperjack
11.18.2013 , 05:25 PM | #2543
Quote: Originally Posted by Palar View Post
Are they, though? Of the top of my head, thinking about just A New Hope, and:

"I stumbled across a recording, while cleaning him."
"He claims to be the property of an Obi-Wan Kenobi."
"He excels at that."

That last one, and a few other lines, show even 3PO refers to R2 as a 'him'. Given that Astromechs have zero distinguishing features, much less voices, that's a likely sign of male being the 'default'. (3PO receives the 'him' treatment too, but his design makes much more sense for that than an Astromech.)
Obi-Wan uses it in the prequels I think, but the movies yes, they do use 'he' the majority of the time. I thought we were just talking about this game though.

Tatile's Avatar


Tatile
11.18.2013 , 05:27 PM | #2544
Quote: Originally Posted by copperjack View Post
Obi-Wan uses it in the prequels I think, but the movies yes, they do use 'he' the majority of the time. I thought we were just talking about this game though.
Examples in-game I'm more familiar with, but I was also appealing to anyone with knowledge of the EU.

theStirge's Avatar


theStirge
11.18.2013 , 05:37 PM | #2545
Quote: Originally Posted by copperjack View Post
I'm curious though, I never actually interacted with SCORPIO beyond what was required but does the game use female pronouns for her? I would assume they do but I never actually checked.
Once you meet her in her mobile platform, yes, she is referred to as she when pronouns are used.

EDIT: She's a heuristic intelligence, meaning that she does in fact learn and is not limited to her original programming, and she self-identifies as female, so who are we to tell her she's wrong?
The n'Sappho Legacy, The Harbinger
Zel'eena, 55 Combat Sentinel
Eleeta, 55 Medic Operative; Fer'eerra, 55 Lightning Sorcerer
All Chiss, all the time, all day, forever.

Palar's Avatar


Palar
11.18.2013 , 05:45 PM | #2546
Quote: Originally Posted by copperjack View Post
Obi-Wan uses it in the prequels I think, but the movies yes, they do use 'he' the majority of the time. I thought we were just talking about this game though.
Ah.. I'm trying to remember how 4X is referred to, but I remember T7 gets the 'him' label.

Tatile's Avatar


Tatile
11.18.2013 , 05:57 PM | #2547
Quote: Originally Posted by theStirge View Post
Once you meet her in her mobile platform, yes, she is referred to as she when pronouns are used.

EDIT: She's a heuristic intelligence, meaning that she does in fact learn and is not limited to her original programming, and she self-identifies as female, so who are we to tell her she's wrong?
I don't think anyone was trying to say that self-identifying is wrong...

copperjack's Avatar


copperjack
11.18.2013 , 05:57 PM | #2548
Quote: Originally Posted by Palar View Post
Ah.. I'm trying to remember how 4X is referred to, but I remember T7 gets the 'him' label.
I'm pretty sure at least some people used 'it' for T7 because I remember expecting 'him' and being surprised. Can't find any source videos though.

Palar's Avatar


Palar
11.18.2013 , 06:45 PM | #2549
The Holonet page has T7 as a he... I'm trying to remember the nutty woman on Pub Nar Shadaa who wants her droid back. I think she calls it a 'he', but I might be getting her confused with the 'overly attached' woman from Kotor. They're both bonkers, so maybe they don't count.

Joushigun's Avatar


Joushigun
11.18.2013 , 07:02 PM | #2550
I kind of wish I could play a Droid.
"I am a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife."- Lady Vastra, Doctor Who and the Snowmen