Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Same gender romance discussion

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender romance discussion
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

nateslice
04.27.2013 , 12:01 PM | #1141
Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
I'm referring to, by and large, world-NPC [Flirt]s/romances and companion romances. In class stories, it should be based by class - Sith Inquisitor doesn't get as many [Flirt]s as Agent, but the options in storylines should be equal within them. Make sense?
Yeah, that makes sense. But if BioWare is indeed dropping the idea of individual class stories going forward, then what?
Star Wars goodness from Richard Cheese:
Star Wars Cantina
The Imperial March

Tatile
04.27.2013 , 12:04 PM | #1142
Quote: Originally Posted by nateslice View Post
Yeah, that makes sense. But if BioWare is indeed dropping the idea of individual class stories going forward, then what?
Then [Flirt]s within class stories are no longer a point of reference. Of course, that (to me) still allows for the retroactive application of companion SGRA's (and I have already define how I believe this should implemented, several times.) It would be unfortunate for many reasons, especially since they aren't going to re-address class stories 1-50 in any manner.

And I really hope Bioware isn't dropping class stories (Cipher Nine, no! D: ), but I must say it doesn't look good.

nateslice
04.27.2013 , 12:09 PM | #1143
Personally, I think it'd be cool if gay companions were added who didn't require romancing to recruit, but replaced a pre-existing companion. My female Bounty Hunter would much rather fend off advances from an amorous lesbian than keep Skadge around.

They could have the same role, likes and dislikes as the replaced companion, but just a different name, model, and voice. I'd be pretty happy with that.
Star Wars Cantina
The Imperial March

Tatile
04.27.2013 , 12:12 PM | #1144
Never said you had to romance your companions.

I want Lord Cytharat because I think he's a great example of a more tolerant element of the Sith Empire, good for my Light-leaning Darth Imperius (he'd make a better apprentice than Xalek), and his tactical knowledge would be a valuable addition to my Agent's team, replacing Kaliyo.

My Sith Sorcerer is unable to romance Lord Cytharat for obvious reasons, but my Agent could continue his romance with Cytharat.

Romance, again, would be an option for those who want it.

SithKoriandr
04.27.2013 , 12:13 PM | #1145
(emphasis mine)

We will disagree on this point, but only because I believe that, as a game and a fictional universe, Bioware can get away with making the distribution and representation equal for all three sexualities in question (in NPC options, allowing your character to be straight, gay or bi.) You think it should limited by whatever recent data has been produced.

Also, yes the "success rate" should be reasonable, but I would also argue that Bioware only approach that idea when they actively start to make the availability equal. It shouldn't be that you get three SGR [Flirt]s across twenty levels and two of them are when you're out-and-out rejected, where OGR [Flirt]s number closer ten and have only one rejection.
The one problem with this line of thinking continues to be the reasoning for adding it.

No SGR makes it unrealistic! But make it even between OGR and SGR to be fair, even if it's not unrealistic.

And the arguement that it's BWs game they get to dictate what goes in it and how, failed when people would get upset and cry and whine about discrimination if they said, "It's our game, sorry no SGR option" Let's remember the "there's no gay in star wars" line, and the reaction that got and it was taken out of context.

No one really cares about realism, they don't care about what BW decides to put into the game. They want what they want, and they want it in or out as it pleases them.

Saying "realism" is just a word thrown around as it pleases the poster for MOST of the posters. Want realism? Realism = unfair.
"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more...than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so *********** what." - Stephen Fry

nateslice
04.27.2013 , 12:26 PM | #1146
Realism is important, too. A story doesn't work without suspension of disbelief. There should be more opposite-sex options than same-sex ones for that reason. I don't mind them adding same-sex options for gay players, "lesbians trapped in a man's body" and fujoshi, but just don't throw in too many or the story suffers in the credibility department.

The occasional rejection, like the ones straight player characters get from time to time, would help, too.

You know who I really wanted to flirt with on my Trooper? Spirakris Zarem. No option, though. It made me sad. Even if she'd rejected him, it would've been cool to have the option to try. I took some comfort in the fact that Jaxo sort of looks like her.
Star Wars Cantina
The Imperial March

stuffystuffs
04.27.2013 , 12:26 PM | #1147
I don't object to the inclusion of same-sex material; it doesn't interest me, but I know it makes other people happy, and that's fine. But it does need to be kept within the bounds of realism. And far more people are straight than gay in real life.
Why?

Does every aspect of the game (including opposite-sex romance) have to be kept in the same bounds? The problem is...there's plenty that's 'unrealistic' in the way opposite-sex romance is handled.
Node guarder

Tatile
04.27.2013 , 12:32 PM | #1148
Realism is important, too. A story doesn't work without suspension of disbelief. There should be more opposite-sex options than same-sex ones for that reason. I don't mind them adding same-sex options for gay players, "lesbians trapped in a man's body" and fujoshi, but just don't throw in too many or the story suffers in the credibility department.
I don't believe it will - it's not as if everyone we'll [Flirt] with will automagically reciprocate (excepting the scenario I've already described), but rather this is a demonstration of the character's sexuality.

Frankly, too many OGR options damage the stories' credibility as well, it detracts from the matter at hand to pander to the "I see a hawt girl, hurr" (straight male characters get more romance and [Flirt] options, might I remind you) quarter, but you aren't arguing to restrict current or future OGR options.

I'm not even going to bother with the realism point, I've already said my piece on that.

nateslice
04.27.2013 , 12:47 PM | #1149
Well, maybe it is a little silly of me to want a certain level realism in a game with laser swords and all sorts of aliens and The Force. But the birthrate in Star Wars was already downright anemic long before any gay person existed in the canon. Where did all these trillions of people come from if nobody ever produces more than two kids?
Star Wars Cantina
The Imperial March

SithKoriandr
04.27.2013 , 12:51 PM | #1150
I don't believe it will - it's not as if everyone we'll [Flirt] with will automagically reciprocate (excepting the scenario I've already described), but rather this is a demonstration of the character's sexuality.

Frankly, too many OGR options damage the stories' credibility as well, it detracts from the matter at hand to pander to the "I see a hawt girl, hurr" (straight male characters get more romance and [Flirt] options, might I remind you) quarter, but you aren't arguing to restrict current or future OGR options.

I'm not even going to bother with the realism point, I've already said my piece on that.
A tale of basically space age swashbucklers, and the idea of them having the option to flirt, you think detracts? When tales of swashbuckling heroes is just as much about flirting?
"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more...than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so *********** what." - Stephen Fry