Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Same gender romance discussion

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender romance discussion
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Tatile
04.27.2013 , 03:27 AM | #1121
Quote: Originally Posted by Noblis View Post
So will my new female merc (already have a male powertech) have a chance to flirt with
Lady of Pain on Tatooine. Asajj Ventress/Nika Futterman ? ; yum.
Mako's comment : "Is that really what you're into?"
No, SGR/A was not applied retroactively. Currently all SGR [Flirt]s are level 50+ only.

And we have people telling us that's "fair".

Kioma
04.27.2013 , 04:44 AM | #1122
Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
No, SGR/A was not applied retroactively. Currently all SGR [Flirt]s are level 50+ only.

Yep. No doubt they'll continue to do so with no basis to their arguments. We also had people telling us it was 'fair' before there was any same-gender content at all. No doubt there's people vehemently against it but guess what? Minor same-gender content is in and the game hasn't collapsed under the weight of cancelled subscriptions.

Who'd have thunk?
::Please Stand By, Signature Assessment Probe Commencing Analysis::

Noblis
04.27.2013 , 05:03 AM | #1123
Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post

Oh well. The Lady of Pain encounter is still too brief for what I consider to be a very memorable NPC.
She will just have to play it straight until level 50.
Hold up ! If we save Han now, there won't be anything for us to do at the beginning
of ROTJ !

Zandilar
04.27.2013 , 05:09 AM | #1124
Quote: Originally Posted by Seireeni View Post
Kaliyo was desingned a bi, but there was no SGR in SWTOR when it launched. As I already mentioned, if the reason that Kaliyo cannot be romanced is that Kaliyo is not interested in female agents, I'm fine with it. However, if the reason simply is that they didn't want to make this kind of exception, it's a poor reason.
Also, people can always ask whatever they wish for.

Last time I checked, this was considered MMORPG. I especially bring up the RPG part. I'd love to be able to RPG characters that are not heterosexual, and do it by some other way than not [flirt]ing with anyone.
(My bolding.)

I have argued about Kaliyo a lot in my time on these forums, as I'm sure a lot of the older posters will be aware of. Here's my argument -

1) Kaliyo never says she's bisexual.
2) The writers have never said she is bisexual.
3) We don't know the intentions of the writers, we are not mind readers.
4) Until one of the three above points is true, we can't really make any concrete assumptions about her sexuality - not even on the basis of what is in the game already (and that one Companions 101 article that's careful with pronoun usage).

On a more personal note, I don't personally like the idea of Kaliyo being the only option for female Agents for a f/f relationship - this is because my main character is a female light side Agent, and doesn't find the idea of Kaliyo romantically appealing. She'd rather romance Rania Temple.
Zandilar, an Australian, IN SPAAAAAAAACCCCEEEEE!!
Too many characters, most of them Chiss.

Seireeni
04.27.2013 , 05:17 AM | #1125
Quote: Originally Posted by Zandilar View Post
(My bolding.)

I have argued about Kaliyo a lot in my time on these forums, as I'm sure a lot of the older posters will be aware of. Here's my argument -

1) Kaliyo never says she's bisexual.
2) The writers have never said she is bisexual.
3) We don't know the intentions of the writers, we are not mind readers.
4) Until one of the three above points is true, we can't really make any concrete assumptions about her sexuality - not even on the basis of what is in the game already (and that one Companions 101 article that's careful with pronoun usage).

On a more personal note, I don't personally like the idea of Kaliyo being the only option for female Agents for a f/f relationship - this is because my main character is a female light side Agent, and doesn't find the idea of Kaliyo romantically appealing. She'd rather romance Rania Temple.
We meet a woman who claims to be Kaliyo's ex-girlfriend and Kaliyo doesn't deny it, which does easily lead to the assumption that she is more or less bisexual. BUT, since that 1 ex-girlfriend is the only thing leading to this assumption, it might be possible that Kaliyo is in some way bisexual, but prefers men and only takes women in special cases - i.e. this girl was rich and it seemed that Kaliyo anyway wanted her money more than her. Until this is confirmed, I will keep my assumption that Kaliyo is bi and likes both genders. Even if that is confirmed, I think it would make more sense if a female player could flirt with Kaliyo (especially after finding out about her ex) and then get turned down.

ZoeTuah
04.27.2013 , 05:37 AM | #1126
Quote: Originally Posted by SithKoriandr View Post
Now I'm curious...do you actually go off to a spot, stand/sit there with your companion hovering over you, so RP these dates? Or all just in your imagination? Because the latter can still be done!

Or does date equal "lets kill things together"?

Makeb made me realize even more how little the relationships are. Seriously. Andronikus doesn't acknowledge my Inquisitor and Lemda (Makeb) and my Smuggler have no real way to contact each other!

I like the suggestion made in another thread, to have them have new lines when you're characters get to dating/marriage part.

Not holding out any hope for the first SGR story flirts to actually become companions tho. Not after one of them can be killed.
I'd probably RP with Nadia as my romantic interest if it felt more justified via in-game dialogue. Kinda feels forced at the moment. And it would be nice to have a "move here" function for companions like other games do, to keep them off of bar counter-tops and other players. For that matter, they ought to sit down when the player does as well.

Tatile
04.27.2013 , 06:07 AM | #1127
Quote: Originally Posted by Seireeni View Post
We meet a woman who claims to be Kaliyo's ex-girlfriend and Kaliyo doesn't deny it, which does easily lead to the assumption that she is more or less bisexual. BUT, since that 1 ex-girlfriend is the only thing leading to this assumption, it might be possible that Kaliyo is in some way bisexual, but prefers men and only takes women in special cases - i.e. this girl was rich and it seemed that Kaliyo anyway wanted her money more than her. Until this is confirmed, I will keep my assumption that Kaliyo is bi and likes both genders. Even if that is confirmed, I think it would make more sense if a female player could flirt with Kaliyo (especially after finding out about her ex) and then get turned down.
(Emphasis mine.)

That's pretty much Kaliyo all over, from what I've seen: money and excitement. Money and excitement isn't only limited to men and, the main point that people bring up, is that she specifies "people" in the pre-nup agreement, not "men".

SithKoriandr
04.27.2013 , 09:37 AM | #1128
Quote: Originally Posted by Zandilar View Post
The problem with that statement is most PCs are limited in this regard.

My Smuggler is limited to Corso. :/ Not that Bowdaar or Gus would be any better if they opened up all companions to even just OGR.

My Trooper is limited to Aric. While only level 17, I haven't seen a reason to like him yet. Unlike my Knight, were I out of all the companions, I'm still thinking "Doc or Kira?!" but limited to Doc of course.

The lack of options makes the idea of herosexual appealing, even if I don't care for that idea much.
"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more...than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so *********** what." - Stephen Fry

stormdrakelord
04.27.2013 , 10:13 AM | #1129
Again: THERE IS NOT TRUE ROMANCE! IT IS ALL JUST A SET OF FLIRTS SPREAD OUT OVER THE STORY!
Han Solo: Great, kid. Don't get cocky.

SithKoriandr
04.27.2013 , 10:26 AM | #1130
Quote: Originally Posted by stormdrakelord View Post
Again: THERE IS NOT TRUE ROMANCE! IT IS ALL JUST A SET OF FLIRTS SPREAD OUT OVER THE STORY!
This is true. But this being a RPG, sounds like someone needs to learn to use their imagination a bit more.
"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more...than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so *********** what." - Stephen Fry