Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Keybind or Clicky Clicky?

Ryofo
01.29.2013 , 11:29 AM | #51
There is a simple way to answer this really. Most people start off as clickers, i did way back when I first started playing and yes I did reasonably well. However as with all things I evolved my play style to a better one and that was key-binding. There is a reason the best players in the world (on any game) use key binds, it is faster and it does eventually become much easier.

I can't imagine playing any game now without key binding all my abilities and i doubt I could play any game as well without them. There is no reason to not learn to key bind, at first it may feel odd or strange but when you get used to it you will look back like I do and think "did I really used to do that!"

Omophorus
01.29.2013 , 12:27 PM | #52
The GCD mechanic is the only reason people can justify clicking at higher levels of play, and even then it's inferior.

I had been of the opinion for a long time that an MMO mouse was largely a gimmick, and I never found the ergonomics of the Razer Naga comfortable.

When Logitech released the G600, I decided to give it a try, and now you'd have to pry the thing out of my cold, dead hand.

The difference in efficacy between clicking and keybinds is massive. The difference in efficacy between purely keyboard binds and a hybrid between keyboard and mouse binds is equally so.

Elitist-sounding or not, I can't stress enough how worthwhile picking up an MMO mouse is for any serious PVE or PVP player. Paying to play? Certainly. Worth it if you have the disposable income and want to maximize your efficiency? Absolutely.

Retraining muscle memory is an annoyance, but it takes little enough time and the end result is so worth it.
Srs'bsns, GM of <Proper Villains> of The Ebon Hawk
5/5 Nightmare Power DF & DP
"This is why we don't bring Assassin tanks"

IBJammin
01.29.2013 , 02:56 PM | #53
Any time I see this I always think of Taurgrim's guide for keybinding. Only uses a standard mouse and standard keyboard.

http://taugrim.com/2011/04/07/guide-...d-keybindings/

This is a great place to start if you want to learn and the nice thing is that this setup will work for most every class with a couple of tweaks.

I'm not there yet because I'm still playing casual content to blow off steam but one day I'm going to force the issue and see if I can really up my game.

ChicagoBearsFan
01.29.2013 , 08:34 PM | #54
Quote: Originally Posted by CJAShadow View Post
I have no idea just on Nightmare Pilgrim how someone can hit their 7th skill on their hotkey bar AND get back to their interrupt in time to stop a 1 second with lag Gore.

I myself am a little bit strange as I actually moved my movement keys from wasd to esdf since I can hit A with my pinky while strafing and casting other stuff.
There are few (if any) PURE 100% clickers. Most "clickers" are hybrids that use a few of the generic key binds (ie.1-5) but in large part click most skills. With the very customizable inter face you can locate skills in places that make them very easy to click quickly.
Bearsfan - Commando Healer / DPS
Chicago - Shadow Tank
BeÓrs - Scoundrel Healer
<The Jedi of Camelot>JawaSpanker Legacy ~ POT5 Server

ChicagoBearsFan
01.29.2013 , 08:53 PM | #55
Quote: Originally Posted by bbare View Post
For Healing, key binding is the single most effective way of increasing your healing effectiveness. Unless you are able to move your mouse like a South Korean playing Starcraft, key binding is much more effective. You can get away with clicking in hard mode flashpoints, but you will have problems in the tougher operations like HM TFB and NiM EC
Bull crap. I'm a commando healer and heal on HM end game ops. Most of my heals are channeled which gives PLENTY of time to click on next op frame or skill. Kolto bomb is located near middle of UI so it is ready for placement. There are some skills I let bind but ALL my heals I usually click. To unilaterally state that you can't be an effective healer at a high level of play is simply ignorant and arrogant. The bottom line is that it goes back to reflexes, muscle memory and down right skill regardless of the style of play. Any long time clicker who plays endgame ops will tell you that the global cooldown is plenty of time to get your mouse anywhere you need by the time the GC is off.
I both click AND keybind depending on my toon and what i'm used to. I find this arguement absurd that people have the audacity to say that THEIR way is better when they don't play at a high level of the other method.
This is like watching rednecks argue over which brand of pick-up is better, it's PREFERANCE.
If you like keybinding, fine, if you don't fine. In the end it's about player skill ... There are excellent keybinders, there are excellent clickers. Go with what you prefer and are the best at.
Bearsfan - Commando Healer / DPS
Chicago - Shadow Tank
BeÓrs - Scoundrel Healer
<The Jedi of Camelot>JawaSpanker Legacy ~ POT5 Server

Hovergame
01.29.2013 , 09:11 PM | #56
Quote: Originally Posted by kanare View Post
All top dps in the rankings use key bidnings look at ec nim top dps world rankings list , all key binders see a pattern .... same with healers ......
Akopra (one of the top DPS in the World) uses a few clics for some spells.

Epic Fail, try again.

SharpG
01.29.2013 , 09:22 PM | #57
Quote: Originally Posted by Hovergame View Post
Akopra (one of the top DPS in the World) uses a few clics for some spells.

Epic Fail, try again.
A few clicks, which would imply they use a hybrid method and the majority of abilities are keybound.

Epic Fail, try again.
Severity Gaming
4/4 Nightmare EC 16 Man | Sharpg: Scoundrel Scrapper DPS
Prophecy of the Five

Druzod
01.30.2013 , 08:04 AM | #58
This reminds me of vi vs. emacs holy wars. Find what works best for you and stick with it.
"That is my spot. In an ever changing world, it is a single point of consistency. If my life were expressed as a function on a four dimensional Cartesian coordinate system, that spot, from the moment I first sat on it, would be 0-0-0-0. " -- Dr. Sheldon Cooper

Hovergame
01.30.2013 , 08:52 AM | #59
Quote: Originally Posted by SharpG View Post
A few clicks, which would imply they use a hybrid method and the majority of abilities are keybound.

Epic Fail, try again.
Read again
Quote:
All top dps in the rankings use key bidnings look at ec nim top dps world rankings list , all key binders see a pattern .... same with healers ......
He implies that EVERY SINGLE PLAYER in World ranking only use keybinds, I said that many players use an hybrid system (than he CLICKS SOMETIMES).

Epic fail, do'nt try again.

psandak
01.30.2013 , 09:55 AM | #60
I am a hybrid due to the simple fact that I happen to have a physical handicap that causes cramping and lack of reach in my left hand. I have been playing MMOs for more than a decade (EQ1, EQ2, SWG, WoW, and SWTOR). in SWTOR (like other games) I bind 1-6 to abilities I use all the time, shift and alt 1-6 that I use less often but still consistently, and while the rest of my abilities do have keybind options I typically click them for the fact that it is faster than reaching across the keyboard.

I have tried switching WASDQE from moving to keybinds (so I could only move with the mouse, with A&D for strafe) and found it TOO WEIRD!
I have tried shifting WASDQE to ESDFWR to get QAZ on keybinds...again TOO WEIRD! (My pinky and ring fingers do not work well enough on my left hand).

In WoW and SWTOR when I do participate in PvP I hold my own, rarely the best in numbers but I get the job done (usually top three). In PvE, I did the hardcore raiding thing in EQ1 (six nights a week, four to five hours a night, resulting in frequent server first, occasional world first in downing content) and stopped when I started playing WoW.

In SWTOR, I have cleared HM EV and KP and SM EC. I can and have gone months without doing any raiding, and I am OK with that. My point is that you cannot judge a person's competence by what he/she has done in game; just because someone has not cleared NiM TFB does not mean his ability usage system is bad. I have received many compliments and guild/raid invitations based on my performance in PuG OPs, I am just unwilling to dedicate the time anymore...I have occupation and social obligations in real life that I did not have a decade ago.