Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Keybind or Clicky Clicky?

Thundergulch
01.25.2013 , 11:32 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by todorovh View Post
Clicking is unreliable .. you HAVE to look at your UI instead of at your surroundings .. which means you either pay attention to mechanics and misclick your abilities ( therefore lose DPS ) OR you stare at your ui and ignore the mechanics ... either way you wont be as efficient as a similarly geared and similarly skilled player using keybinds...
This makes me laugh,Just because you or others are unable to be effective with clicking, doesn't mean it's inferior in pve.
In pvp yes, that argument is valid.

mikebevo
01.25.2013 , 11:44 AM | #12
Clicking is unreliable .. you HAVE to look at your UI instead of at your surroundings .. which means you either pay attention to mechanics and misclick your abilities ( therefore lose DPS ) OR you stare at your ui and ignore the mechanics ... either way you wont be as efficient as a similarly geared and similarly skilled player using keybinds...
Explain to me how I am not looking at my surroundings with this UI?

It depends on the person, knowledge, understanding of role, class and the instances is more important than keybinds or clicking. I have seen people that said they were keybinders be completely oblivious to what was going on around them. Saying everyone has to do it one way to be right, is the same as saying one size shoe fits everyone. It is completely untrue, it may be the best way for you and others, but my heals per second goes down by almost 200 just using keybinds and my dps falls short when I click (on the dummy by about 150).

todorovh
01.25.2013 , 11:59 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Thundergulch View Post
This makes me laugh,Just because you or others are unable to be effective with clicking, doesn't mean it's inferior in pve.
In pvp yes, that argument is valid.
Makes you laugh ? How much of the content have you cleared ? 8 man/ 16 man ? what guild are you in ?

ChicagoBearsFan
01.25.2013 , 12:00 PM | #14

Considering rotations in this game do not require a lot of buttons not using keybinds ( for your primary rotation at least ) is pretty much unacceptable if you re looking for more than having "casual fun" (aka failing hard)
Ya, I don't agree with this either. When you become proficient with clicking you are not studying your UI that much. It only takes a quick glance. As somewhat of a clicker myself (heals and tank) I'm constantly glancing around the screen at all things...UI, health bars, situation and surroundings, etc.
Just like driving, you don't stare at the road the entire time, you learn to glance at the mirrors, instrument panel, radio, etc. when you need to check the relevant information. Just like I don't need to watch my speedometer go all the way from 0-60 with out watching the road, a clicker doesn't need to stare a the UI non-stop.
Just as keybinders get used to their methods and improve muscle memory, so too do clickers. Good situational awareness is not dependent on your imput type but rather on experience and, well...awareness. (imagine that).
It's all about what is comfortable to YOU.
If the nano-second difference between clickers and keybinders is THAT important then I would say that you have lost sight of the reality of this being a GAME.
Bearsfan - Commando Healer / DPS
Chicago - Shadow Tank
BeÓrs - Scoundrel Healer
<The Jedi of Camelot>JawaSpanker Legacy ~ POT5 Server

mikebevo
01.25.2013 , 12:15 PM | #15
Even when I push buttons on dps I am glancing at my UI about the same amount as when I am clicking on my healer. I still need to know it the ability is off cooldown and what ability is up. Now if they would come up with vibrating buttons on the keyboard to let me know something was up without looking, then I wouldn't have to look, but then again wouldn't that be about the same thing as a bot playing.

Pubsam
01.25.2013 , 12:19 PM | #16
I used to click but made the transition to binding a long time ago. Like you said OP, making the change is work and you will not be very good or having much fun until you get used to your new set up.

I decided to switch because I noticed my play really suffered if I had to turn on a dime while casting or using an ability. Obviously this sort of this is more clutch in PVP but maintaining as much DPS or healing while moving is very helpful in PVE, especially in the high end stuff, not to mention making tight turns. So for me anyway, the improvement came not so much that I looked at my hotbars less or gained more raid awareness, but that I switched to all mouse turning. And I'm pretty sure it's impossible to mouse turn and click abilities at the same time.

Don't be afraid to experiment - I completely redid all my binds and I use a binding setup I've haven't heard of anybody else using but I'm very comfortable with it at this point and I definitely play better. I know some people (in PvE at least) use a hybrid system where they click some things but bind some instant cast stuff so they can still mouse turn.

The most important thing I think is finding a set up where you can comfortably mouse turn and use abilities at the same time. Learning is a big B though, I had to unbind turning to force myself!
Time for a nap.

Quickpaw
01.25.2013 , 12:36 PM | #17
I've still got to get to the endgame content on any of my characters, but I found that the system that works best for me is to bind the abilities that I tend to use most often with a particular class (like a stealther's backstabing or a healer's... well, you know), and use my mouse for the stuff that has long cooldowns or are not usefull all the time.

For example: On a stealth character I bind the key for the backstab/shot because I sneak behind someone and open a fight with that ability more often than not. Whereas the stealth single stun I use a mouse for because as a stealth oriented character I can take the time-before a fight since my foes can't see me-to plan my moves out so the fight is practically won before it starts.

It all depends on how you like to play, and the style that gives you the most enjoyment playing.
Honestly, when it comes down to it, I don't think I'm a very "good" Jedi. And you know what? I'm fine with that. I trust my heart more than my head, and that's not a bad thing.
My name is Shadow. And I am a Jedi.

Joesixxpack
01.25.2013 , 12:55 PM | #18
If you're learning to bind and having a rough time consider rolling a new toon. You can change the binds around and develop muscle memory at the pace that you level, much easier than if your toon has all their abilities already and you're used to clicking them in certain places.

Then when you switch back to your other toons you'll be used to binding vs. clicking.

Binding has advantages if you set it up so it's efficient for you, but takes some time to get used to. Get hardware you're comfortable with too; it may not be what you're using now. After years of different stuff I found that a keyboard with a built in gamepad and a razer naga work for me better than anything else. An ill-fitting MMO mouse or awkward keyboard are worthless for binding.
SifuStoli Sage | Joesixxpack VG | BBQ'Ribs GS | Hawt'Sauce Guard | Dark'nStormy Scrap
ilotSufiS Mara | BBQRibs Sin | BBQSammich PT | BBQSawce MM | Dark'n'Stormy Op Med
PROPHECY OF THE FIVE

todorovh
01.25.2013 , 01:11 PM | #19
Have you EVER heard of anyone who's gone back to clicking ?

If you're a new player, please learn to bind. It will only take you an hour or two to find a comfortable setup, once you get used to it you will not regret it.

mikebevo
01.25.2013 , 01:24 PM | #20
Have you EVER heard of anyone who's gone back to clicking ? .
I did after 2 months learning keybinds. Not completely, but on my healer I did.