Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Keybind or Clicky Clicky?

mcslack
01.25.2013 , 08:46 AM | #1
So Im in the process of learning 2 bind. This to me is a very difficult changeout. It'd be much easier to stay with my toolset of mouse and shift than 2 learn all over again. Ive read alot about how some say it's critical for endgame and some say no big deal if u dont. Ultimately I would say that if ur good at either thats all that matters, right?
Right now im holding my own in tier 1 hard's( not great but keep peeps alive as a sage). I need 2 learn far more about mechanic's than how 2 deploy abilities. So how do all u skilled endgamers run ur mission's? Specifically are there any clicker's out there that run ops with little or no binding? Im rather new to this so if my noob colors r shining bright please use the rose colored glasses.
THX all/ any and all comments appreciated

Im updating OP due 2 a stupid reply and an equally nonconstructive response by me 2 said reply. I like those for and against so thx and keep it up. The post's hav been removed(as they should) and lets continue. Sorry to open a can of worms.

Thundergulch
01.25.2013 , 08:51 AM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by mcslack View Post
. Ultimately I would say that if ur good at either thats all that matters, right?
This.
The most important part of being good at endgame pve is knowing your class.
inb4 all of the elitist keybinders.

Ansalem
01.25.2013 , 08:57 AM | #3
Ultimately keybinding is more efficient and reliable. It allows you to focus more and improves situational awareness because instead of having to look at your bars while clicking you are able to keep your eyes on the fight. I have seen many good clickers, but I've also seen my fair share of those 'good clickers' eat aoe or get hit by something because they were clicking instead of paying attention or slower reaction because they were clicking when they had to run away immediately. Keybinds save lives, learn them, love them, live them. If you don't loike using numpad or number row I recommend getting a g600 logitech mmo gaming mouse. It has 12 thumbpad buttons, a g shift button that allows you to shift to another key set so you can still use the thumbpad and even a mode selection button that allows you to set as many keybinds as you want. Very handy for gaming.

mastirkal
01.25.2013 , 09:25 AM | #4
For myself, I always key bind on my spec healer. With the number of targets you need to switch through by clicking their portrait it best to bind your keys so you don't have your mouse all over the place.

When I use either my raud or sniper it is usually single target in raids so it is easier to simply cycle through without key binds.

Same deal with my tank when single target. You don't lose any time clicking through rotations if you are fast enough.

mikebevo
01.25.2013 , 09:30 AM | #5
I am a hybrid...I use both. On dps I mainly use my keybinds. . I took the time, learned the key binds on my healer, bought the Razer Naga mouse and my healing and situational awareness went down. I am a better healer pure and simple by clicking. I am better at dps using keybinds. On my healer I use both keybinds for attacks, Slow-release medpac and diagnostic Scan, but click my other heals.

I also use a modified version of Dulfy's UI (very happy she shared that), so my eyes never leave the middle of the screen, so I shouldn't miss AoEs or getting called out for something (like Marked for Death). Although Like everyone else that has a semblance of honesty, I make mistakes from time to time.

mcslack
01.25.2013 , 10:18 AM | #6
I can see the situational awareness of mouse only being an issue. Needing to see whats in ur face and going on around u seems important as the challenge lvl increases.This reason alone is what peaked my interest in binds.
Ive seen some how to guides but none that actually have a hands on learning aspect. Any1 know of a bind guide that actually runs u through a simulated test? Kinda like a typing course? I understand that its up 2 me to make a set up that works for me, just didnt know if something like this existed.
And thx for the replys

uniz
01.25.2013 , 10:22 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Thundergulch View Post
This.
The most important part of being good at endgame pve is knowing your class.
inb4 all of the elitist keybinders.
so true.

for a clicker it is all about your hotbar layout. key binders coming from wow and its clones mashing only 1-5 keys is the root of the problem. this mmo and rift is the only mmos i ever played where this argument comes up. most are from the exwow/clone players believing one is better than the other.

if you dont tell anyone in your group or ops they cant tell from your game play. they are lying if they say they can.

a good player is a good player. a bad one is a bad one. the method of casting doesnt make either nor helps or hinders.

mcslack
01.25.2013 , 10:41 AM | #8
"The most important part of being good at endgame pve is knowing your class."
like this
"for a clicker it is all about your hotbar layout."
like this
Its seems that after a cast is made all the slots are locked for a time period( is that GCD?). During this time frame it seems sufficient time to get icon to my next cast.

ChicagoBearsFan
01.25.2013 , 11:18 AM | #9
In PVE, like others mentioned, it's about skill and what is comfortable to you. I tend to be a clicker more but have some skills keybound. In PVP it is a litte different. While ultimately it is still about skill I believe that keybinders have a higher potential as the key binding would allow for slightly better response time.
It's a game, go with what works for you.
Bearsfan - Commando Healer / DPS
Chicago - Shadow Tank
BeÓrs - Scoundrel Healer
<The Jedi of Camelot>JawaSpanker Legacy ~ POT5 Server

todorovh
01.25.2013 , 11:29 AM | #10
Clicking is unreliable .. you HAVE to look at your UI instead of at your surroundings .. which means you either pay attention to mechanics and misclick your abilities ( therefore lose DPS ) OR you stare at your ui and ignore the mechanics ... either way you wont be as efficient as a similarly geared and similarly skilled player using keybinds...

Considering rotations in this game do not require a lot of buttons not using keybinds ( for your primary rotation at least ) is pretty much unacceptable if you re looking for more than having "casual fun" (aka failing hard)