Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

What the hell just happened - lost 3 hours of progress

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
What the hell just happened - lost 3 hours of progress
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Weltmacht
01.22.2013 , 06:58 PM | #51
Quote: Originally Posted by Keadee View Post
Now that's a lot of lost progres... -.-"

Regarding the compensation, then honestly I doubt that there'll be any (though imo there should).

Technacly we've gotten what we paid for - play time - and besides that servers acting up/maintenance is without a doubt written into the terms of use..
However I do hope AND expect them to recover our lost possesions.

Still love the game, but I seriously hate the constantly decreasing stability of the game.
The real question is whether or not they actually dare not to compensate. people are pretty pissed off (and they should be!) already. Do they dare risk lose players over this? They might either way, but some might stay, if they do get the compensation.

Coltraine
01.22.2013 , 07:06 PM | #52
I want a compensation, yes, but the big issue overshadowing everything else is that there hasn't been a single post from Bioware accepting responsibility of the rollback. There's just AmberGreen who posted in her "then" sticky thread that the issues have been resolved. So, they're trying to silence this one away. I want a Bioware employee RIGHT NOW to tell me they're aware and sorry for the rollback or I can't spend my time in this game anymore.

FishGod
01.22.2013 , 07:08 PM | #53
Quote: Originally Posted by Keadee View Post
Now that's a lot of lost progres... -.-"

Regarding the compensation, then honestly I doubt that there'll be any (though imo there should).

Technacly we've gotten what we paid for - play time - and besides that servers acting up/maintenance is without a doubt written into the terms of use..
However I do hope AND expect them to recover our lost possesions.

Still love the game, but I seriously hate the constantly decreasing stability of the game.
Do you think Bio-ware can make sense of the remains from smashing the server with the roll back hammer. All record of what we done in the last 3 hours is likely gone for good. Those that spent cartel coins should be ok they are tracked by our account and not by server so they should have a record of that.

I seem to remeber everyone getting a days free play time during the first few months of the game going live, can not remember what it was for though. At best if they do decided to compensate us it will either be a free days sub or some cartel coins.

Its not the 3 hours that pissed me off. Its how many hours am i going to have to invest in the game to get the items that i've lost back again. As with all random drops and luck of the die it could take weeks or months (((

If i had a choice i would rather bio-ware shut the server down, even if it means i can't play for 6 hours or longer if it meant that everything i had done was saved.

DarkSaberMaster
01.22.2013 , 07:13 PM | #54
Quote: Originally Posted by The_Hellhammer View Post
Does anyone know if this will be compensated somehow?

Or is that too much to ask for?
No. You won't be compensated for it. It's happened on The Harbinger multiple times and haven't received compensation yet. Don't hold your breath.
Daegeo: (Balance Shadow) D'aege: (Engineering Sniper)
The Harbinger "Rangers Lead the Way"
The Jawa's Order
Referral link for free stuff

The_Hellhammer
01.22.2013 , 07:19 PM | #55
I know some people couldn't log in prior to the rollback, but it makes no sense to just wipe out everyone's progress and items just a few hours before regular maintenance.

I was among those who could not log in for a while, and whatever it was, it could have waited the 3-4 hours to the maintenance instead of screwing everyone over.

TheKingsVillian
01.22.2013 , 09:28 PM | #56
Can we please get a CS response in regard to the lost items and credits that have been reported server wide.

Blitz-wing
01.22.2013 , 11:24 PM | #57
Quote: Originally Posted by JovethGonzalez View Post
Hi folks, we're looking into reports of rollbacks and will update this as soon as we have more information. Thank you
It's time to play the wait & see game with Bioware (do they care)

DharmaPolice
01.23.2013 , 12:52 AM | #58
Quote: Originally Posted by Vanelon View Post
Wondering if the backup system only update´s every three hours.And thats why there always 3 hour roll back????????
I don't recall previous rollbacks being anything like 3 hours lost. One (near the time of the HK-51 patch) was something like 15 minutes (although that happened twice in one evening I think), and another was maybe 10 minutes much more recently. I'm not saying larger rollbacks haven't happened, I've just been lucky enough not to be playing at those times.

Even if the backup of memcache to disk (or whatever it is they do) happened every three hours it should still be very rare to ever lose that much game time. That would mean that the failure is happening at the worst possible moment from a data integrity perspective. I suppose they could be continuously writing some of the cache to disk over a cycle and three hours ago is always the last time they have a full set on disk but I'm not sure that would make sense and doesn't explain the smaller rollbacks they've done previously.

Last nights issue strikes me as :

1. Bad luck - data failure happened to occur a long while after the last backup
2. A change in the backup timing / cycle (for performance reasons) meant that there's a slightly higher risk of bigger rollbacks like this.
3. The backup (or write-to-disk) job was failing for the three hours prior to the crash.

All of the above is speculation of course, would be interesting to get a dev response, but I wouldn't hold my breath on that front.
Derimeth / Splendora / Rosaluxemburg - The Red Eclipse

doefoot
01.23.2013 , 01:13 AM | #59
Quote: Originally Posted by DharmaPolice View Post
Last nights issue strikes me as :

1. Bad luck - data failure happened to occur a long while after the last backup
2. A change in the backup timing / cycle (for performance reasons) meant that there's a slightly higher risk of bigger rollbacks like this.
3. The backup (or write-to-disk) job was failing for the three hours prior to the crash.

All of the above is speculation of course, would be interesting to get a dev response, but I wouldn't hold my breath on that front.
Well, as ticked off as I am about the lost time, it is a system and systems can fail - I get it. Crap happens. The frustrating thing is the deafening silence from BW - if we got some sort of explanation as to what happened, this would go a long way to restoring some form of confidence in the game - if they can show that they know what happened, then they can take steps to prevent it from happening in the future.
with the silence, however, or if they come up with some vague explanation (the Gremlins did it!), then I'd always be afraid that this could happen at any time in the future - it's not like playing a single-player game where you can keep hitting 'save'... should we now be playing in 15 minute bursts to avoid losing progress?

OwenBrooks
01.23.2013 , 01:25 AM | #60
Rollbacks can happen to any MMO and do happen, least it wasn't a 2 week one like with ultima online recently.

I would blame the people that use hacks in game first up, some hacks alter server design and create conditions in the server that can create instability and corruption. Resulting in going to the last known good save.