Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

please someone help my low fps im missing something

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
please someone help my low fps im missing something

kristofforharvey
01.21.2013 , 02:49 AM | #1
i have a good system not the best granted but my fps just plain suck but i can play on all ultra graphics on Warcraft and have a solid 60 fps even in raids so ill post my specs but please don't use this as an excuse to tear apart my system as im here for help

Operating System: Windows 8 Pro 64-bit (6.2, Build 9200) (9200.win8_gdr.121119-1606)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: System manufacturer
System Model: System Product Name
BIOS: 0502
Processor: AMD A6-3500 APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics (3 CPUs), ~2.4GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 8172MB RAM
Page File: 1960MB used, 7427MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.02.9200.16384 64bit Unicode

Display Devices
---------------
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GT 610
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce GT 610
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Type: Full Device
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_104A&SUBSYS_84081043&REV_A1
Display Memory: 4047 MB
Dedicated Memory: 1999 MB
Shared Memory: 2047 MB
Current Mode: 2048 x 1152 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor Name: SyncMaster 2343NW,SyncMaster Magic CX2343NW
Monitor Model: SyncMaster
Monitor Id: SAM0473
Native Mode: 2048 x 1152(p) (59.909Hz)
Output Type: HD15
Driver Name: nvd3dumx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvd3dum,n vwgf2um,nvwgf2um
Driver File Version: 9.18.0013.1090 (English)
Driver Version: 9.18.13.1090
DDI Version: 11
Feature Levels: 11.0,10.1,10.0,9.3,9.2,9.1
Driver Model: WDDM 1.2
Graphics Preemption: DMA
Compute Preemption: DMA
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 12/29/2012 10:34:47, 18054312 bytes

any help would be greatly appreciated
kris

OwenBrooks
01.21.2013 , 03:41 AM | #2
i think I remember someone posted about setting swtor.exe and launcher.exe in compat mode for windows 7 made a difference.

Edit - if you are getting stutter try the below settings

go to "manage 3D settings" > "Program Settings" > "Add" (find the swtor.exe from the installed directory) > "Maximum pre-rendered frames = 2" > "Multi-display/mixed-GPU acceleration = Single display performance" > "Power management mode = Prefer maximum performance" > "Triple buffering = ON".

kristofforharvey
01.21.2013 , 03:50 AM | #3
tried all of that and all compatibility does is makes it crash

OwenBrooks
01.21.2013 , 03:55 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by kristofforharvey View Post
tried all of that and all compatibility does is makes it crash
Compat for win 7 crashes is odd, is there any chance you can connect your monitor by DVI in case EDID is reporting wrong ? especially at 2048x1152, hd15 wasn't designed for that resolution, and most adapters made aren't either.

Edit - Have you tried installing direct x 9c ? http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl...s.aspx?id=8109

Amarinth
01.21.2013 , 07:04 AM | #5
While I know this isn't what you want to hear, the problem is very much related to your system specs. That doesn't mean the game doesn't have some performance issues of its own, but your system specs are at a level where SWTOR will never run as well as WoW does, because your specs simply aren't capable of it.

Please allow me to explain why...

The first stumbling block is your CPU. Your processor is an AMD APU with 3 cores running between 2.1 and 2.4ghz depending on the chip's temperature (it will only use turbo if it isn't running too hot). The problem with these APU's is that they were designed to sacrifice raw processing power in return for better integrated graphics, so even at the full boost speed of 2.4ghz your processor doesn't pack a lot of punch and this can cause issues in SWTOR - more specifically there will be situations or places in the game where your lack of CPU power will cap the FPS, sometimes at a very low level, and no amount of graphical power or lowering of settings will change this.

The second stumbling block is your graphics card in combination with your screen resolution. Your native screen resolution is 2048x1152, which has a pretty large number of pixels (to be precise it has 14% more pixels than 1920x1080, 64% more than 1600x900 and 125% more than 1366x768) and that will have a negative impact on your FPS if you game at 2048x1152 as well. The way resolutions and FPS correlate is simple -> the higher the resolution, the higher the total number of pixels your graphics card has to draw, which increases the workload required to draw each Frame and thus lowers the number of Frames Per Second (FPS). This correlation is the reason why it's recommended to use a heavier graphics card on such high resolutions.

Unfortunately your GT610 isn't exactly heavy - to be precise it's the entry level card in the 600 series and that means it's designed more for low power desktops and multimedia use than any sort of gaming. While the card will run most games at a basic level, it may struggle to maintain acceptable FPS even on the lowest settings and resolutions. If you try to game on this card at a high resolution like 2048x1152 or 1920x1080, or medium-high graphics settings, then you'll usually find the results are subpar or even unplayable.

Now, do you remember that I mentioned earlier that your processor is an APU designed to provide better integrated graphics? Your A6-3500 should come with an onboard Radeon HD 6530D and whilst integrated graphics are usually weaker than dedicated cards, in this case the 6530D is based on a better chip than the GT610 and it outstrips the Nvidia card in terms of raw specs. The AMD APU's seem to do a decent job of powering these chips too, so chances are good the 6530D would actually give you better performance than that entry level Nvidia card does. To use the Radeon 6530D you would need to take the Nvidia card out of your system and you might also need to switch on the onboard graphics in the BIOS, if it's not enabled by default.

The other neat thing you can do with these APU-powered graphics chip is to crossfire them with a dedicated Radeon card for increased performance. Why they didn't put a Radeon card in your computer to begin with is beyond me, but then some of these system builders just seem to randomly slap stuff together. If you built / customized it yourself, see if you can return the GT610 or exchange it for a Radeon model. I can't remember if the dedicated card has to be the same series as the onboard card for crossfire to work, but it shouldn't be that hard to find out.

TL;DR:

Lower your settings and resolution to better match the capabilities of your graphics card. Try taking the Nvidia card out and running on the Radeon 6530D. Buy a dedicated Radeon card (I would suggest at least something in the 66xx range) and crossfire it with the onboard card.
We all have our heroes. And when we watch them fall, we die inside...