Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Meet the Developers: Rob Hinkle

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Meet the Developers: Rob Hinkle
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

darklordpotter
01.31.2013 , 12:34 PM | #91
Quote: Originally Posted by DerTaran View Post
I'm sure after Rob's 'Meet the Developers' there won't be any other volunteer for a new one.
You think he volunteered? This was almost certainly an assigned task which is why he won't be responding to the thread - because he has better things to do in his own time.

darklordpotter
01.31.2013 , 12:42 PM | #92
Quote: Originally Posted by Dawginole View Post
I find it very interesting that Rob discusses the difficulty of reading through the comments that have emotionalism to work toward discovering the context of the frustration.

Frankly, I believe much of this frustration and the emotional outbursts that come with them with this game is that the dev team basically ignores the game base. I think if there was more open dialog, not just a half hearted post from time to time, but some actual explanation of "why we did this" and "why we do it this way" then the user base would better understand the thought process behind certain game play decisions which would quell a lot of the frustration.

Every time a new community manager comes into play we hear about "increased communication" with the user base, and it just never happens.
True that the less the devs /CSRs engage the more likely the forums are to be cynical, angry and generally vitriolic. As, despite repeated promises, there is precisely zero consumer - developer interaction in these forums people tend to be extremely cynical as the perception is that the company ignores problems, issues and feedback. Given that why bother to be polite or constructive? They're just going to ignore it anyway so you might as well make yourself feel better by venting.

If they seriously want to change that they need to engage with the community for more than a couple of days at a time, reduce the amount of C&P and learn how to say "sorry" when things go wrong. Then they can enforce meaningful forum policies and generally have a more productive environment until that point this 1984 deleting posts BS just annoys people and is ultimately a losing cause because as long as the forum environment remains unchanged there are always going to be more people complaining than there is CSR time to delete posts.

JovethGonzalez
01.31.2013 , 04:22 PM | #93 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
Hey everyone, apologies for the delay in getting Rob's answers up here. Below you will find his responses to some of your questions.

Dipstik : nice info. would like to know how the various teams work together to make sure PvP doesnt trump PvE,. that seems to be the case for scrappers, which perform amazingly in PvP, but have been abandoned by the PvE crowd. (link)

Rob:
When we make changes to classes, especially changes that are really going to make an impact on a class, we strive to make sure we test those changes in all situations possible(which includes PvP, solo planetary content, flashpoints, and operations). We also make sure to communicate outside of our team the changes we are making, since we have a lot of experience throughout the studio on various classes as well, not just on the combat design team.

Chuixupu: One of the things that I find to be a problem currently is that if you have two Lethality Snipers in an Operation, they can consume each other's weakening blasts. This makes it a bit of a pain. Any plans of fixing this? Also, there seems to be issues with both AC's and Lingering Toxins causing players to still be in combat when they come back from death in both pve and pvp encounters.

Also, on the subject of combat logs, are there any plans on making them a bit more detailed for players? What we get in the chat window is very limited, and even what we get from uploading parses to web services seems a bit sparse compared to what I'm used to with other games. (I will admit this could also be the parser designer's fault, as I'm not really good and reading the raw logs myself) (link)

Rob:
Couple good questions in here, let me take them one by one!
  • Weakening Blast: Something to remember with this interaction is that both weakening blasts will also stack their damage increase, so while a single poison effect from one sniper will reduce the stack count of both Weakening Blasts, it also gains the 30% damage bonus from both abilities (additively, so a 60% damage bonus). The end result should be that you burn through the stack faster than normal, but you still would see the same total damage output (assuming both snipers are equally geared).
  • We noticed a couple issues with the Lingering Toxins (and especially how they interact with Trauma) and putting people back into combat mode (both after death/rez and just after a disengage in a fight), and have fixed them for an upcoming release, so we should see less of people getting stuck in combat.
  • There is no disagreement from me that the combat logs the game outputs are rather hard to read to the human eye, and I wish I had a better solution for you other than to send you out on the web. There are a handful of pretty decent parsers out there that can read the ToR logs and output charts and tables, if you are really interested in looking through logs they might be to your benefit.

T-Assassin: Rob mentioned lack of combat logs.
Does the team not take information, like TORPARSE for example, as solid evidence for classes underperforming? (in actual playing environments)
I have done extensive testing and provided substantial evidence on how specific classes, Mercenary specifically, is underperforming in both PvE and PvP realms. (link)

Rob:
We certainly look at ToRParse for data, but like all other data sets it is limited in what it shows and what context influences it. For example, if I were to sort the top DPS value on Kephiss in EC 8-man mode, I would immediately see that a Mercenary is listed at the top of the charts. However, if you dig into the charts, you can see that part of that number is based on a bunch of trash kills that have influenced the final result. When we detach the source (the player) from the log, it makes it much more difficult to look at context. All of that being said, we really want to do better about collecting raw logs directly from the player, with the hope that will really help us properly react to the feedback we receive.

Debaucher:the vast majority of the pvp community that visits the forums feels dissapointed from the lack of replies from the PvP development team. Since you read the forums, would you be kind enouph to start replying to any constructive threads?

Also, any chance we get more Warhammer online Scenarios in SW:TOR? Ancient Hypergates is a success and personally, i 'd love a version of the Battle for Praag scenario revamped for the Star Wars universe. Perhaps in a Corellia setting, since its an urban enviroment and it matches the story of the planet?

Last but not least, the community needs a solid update on the future of ranked warzones/competitive play in general. Perhaps on the next "state of the game" article?

Rob:
  • I agree, I haven't done a good job closing the feedback loop on the forums and that is something I would like to try to correct.
  • Glad to hear you are enjoying Ancient Hypergate! New Warzone ideas are floating around the team being discussed, and we definitely look at other games for possible influence when we are coming up with ideas. We aren’t 100% decided on the next gametype yet, and there are definitely some WAR inspired versions in the mix.
  • I’ll see what I can do about getting a good “State of the PvP Game” update out, to let everyone know what we are thinking and what is coming up. I think people will be excited!

dipstik
01.31.2013 , 04:36 PM | #94
Thanks Rob!

Lord_Karsk
01.31.2013 , 05:05 PM | #95
Quote:
I’ll see what I can do about getting a good “State of the PvP Game” update out, to let everyone know what we are thinking and what is coming up. I think people will be excited!
Think the question is, will mandos and mercs be happy soon, for no longer beeing free kills in pvp.
Or sad again for the 5th time.

Kynesis
01.31.2013 , 06:08 PM | #96
Quote: Originally Posted by DerTaran View Post
I'm sure after Rob's 'Meet the Developers' there won't be any other volunteer for a new one.
It's a brave soul who volunteers to be thrown to the lions.

TUXs
01.31.2013 , 06:33 PM | #97
Quote: Originally Posted by JovethGonzalez View Post
[*]I’ll see what I can do about getting a good “State of the PvP Game” update out, to let everyone know what we are thinking and what is coming up. I think people will be excited![/LIST][/B]
I would REALLY appreciate this Rob. Those of us who enjoy PvP would love to hear your ideas.
All warfare is based on deception. Attack him where he is unprepared, appear where you are not expected. If his forces are united, separate them. If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near. A leader leads by example not by force.

Polebreaker
01.31.2013 , 06:45 PM | #98
It's too bad the devs cant actually speak for themselves, but instead have to go through mouthpieces and corp filters before any actual information might leak out.

Not gonna bother to comment on the content, because there was nothing more than the usual "We're watching the metrics" "Good stuff coming" "You're going to love it" stuff...

I mean... 5 months of lolsmash and bubblestun? Really?

veyl
01.31.2013 , 07:34 PM | #99
@the Weakening Blast statement: I've never seen my DoT's tick larger with two weakening blasts on the same target. Ever. The same issue happens with a Madness spec sorc/assassin using Deathfield. The DoT's never changed and it's definitely something you should look into fixing.

Also about Weakening Blast // Deathmarks;
Both of these counters are used up by other Inquisitors and Agent's in the raid and hurts the DPS of the person spec'd for it. If there are 3 inquisitors in the raid, 1 of them is Madness and the other 2 are lightning, when all 3 have their dots on the target the Madness spec'd inquisitor gets boned. There's no stacking of Deathmarks... There's just deathmark's being taken by other sorcerers/assassins and the person Spec'd into Full madness... something that is half centered around DoT's damage in the first place... Is at a loss. The same can be said about Lethality snipers and poison dart from other operatives/snipers stealing their weakening blasts.

Also: Why does the tooltip specifically point out the CASTER's dots as the one to gain the bonus if someone who doesn't cast weakening blast // deathfield gains it as well?

The entire thing needs to be reworked or have the stacks removed so it's a constant debuff on the Boss.

T-Assassin
01.31.2013 , 08:45 PM | #100
Quote: Originally Posted by JovethGonzalez View Post

T-Assassin: Rob mentioned lack of combat logs.
Does the team not take information, like TORPARSE for example, as solid evidence for classes underperforming? (in actual playing environments)
I have done extensive testing and provided substantial evidence on how specific classes, Mercenary specifically, is underperforming in both PvE and PvP realms. (link)

Rob:
We certainly look at ToRParse for data, but like all other data sets it is limited in what it shows and what context influences it. For example, if I were to sort the top DPS value on Kephiss in EC 8-man mode, I would immediately see that a Mercenary is listed at the top of the charts. However, if you dig into the charts, you can see that part of that number is based on a bunch of trash kills that have influenced the final result. When we detach the source (the player) from the log, it makes it much more difficult to look at context. All of that being said, we really want to do better about collecting raw logs directly from the player, with the hope that will really help us properly react to the feedback we receive.

i appreciate the answer, but it's not that difficult to dig through the charts, if you have the right tools. i'm not trying to be insulting, but the dispairity in DPS is so obvious, all it requires is a bit of testing and common sense to come up with the answers.

it's easy to see that any fight that requires movement HEAVILY favors instant cast classes. (i speak from Merc/pyro and VG/assault experience).

any interrupt in casting causes a significant decrease in DPS, while melee classes, or uniterruptable classes lose minimal DPS, if any.

this is not only an issue in PvE as it is in PvP.

why is casting while moving NOT an option? seriously, that is an almost instant fix. other games have it, and it is not gamebreaking or overpowered. some damage might need tweaking, but i seriously doubt that, with the numbers marauders, snipers, and PT/VG's are able to produce.

simple analytics and game experience explains everything you should need to know on torparse. why Mercs excel at some fights, yet have 0 top 50 parses on others.

do you not have people doing this? or do they lack the in-game experience, game mechanic knowledge, and common sense to understand these things?

again, my intent is not to be insulting. in fact, i should feel insulted it took this long to warrant a response, and not a very thorough one at that.

i've canceled my account, and will give this game one more shot, since i've preordered RotHC.

you know there are issues. if they are not corrected, or at least openly discussed, with thoughts and ideas of how to correct them, i cannot see myself moving forward with SWTOR.

P.S. and the ability for 1 class to auto crit...who came up with that? so much oversight on that one...i never played D&D or Magic and understand the fatal flaw(OP) behind that ability.
"Ib'tuur jatne tuur ash'ad kyr'amur."
"Today is a good day for someone else to die." -