Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

why are people freaking out about Ilum in 1.7?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
why are people freaking out about Ilum in 1.7?

Arlbo_Nabbins's Avatar


Arlbo_Nabbins
02.04.2013 , 07:46 AM | #271
Quote: Originally Posted by LanceCorporalDan View Post
You can still ignore it.
If its PvP gear with expertise then I will, and I won't mind that the PvP set are getting their own event. If its PvE gear then I will continue to object to the fact that we are being forced to PvP flag to do PvE content on a PvE server.

Arlbo_Nabbins's Avatar


Arlbo_Nabbins
02.04.2013 , 07:50 AM | #272
Quote: Originally Posted by MelodicSixNine View Post
Let's wait for the event to see how this plays out, before releasing the hounds. World PvP is more about who gets more numbers and who plays out the fight better rather than gear. Remember you are not alone. Group up with overgeared players on your side. In old Illum we had always up an OPS group for pvp and everyone was invited who asked in general chat . I assume this event will be no different and people will group up.
How many times does this need to be repeated? People do join PvE servers because they DO NOT WANT TO TAKE PART IN OPEN WORLD PvP.

People who have chosen that should not be forced to take part in Open world PvP if the content is aimed at PvE progression (as this seems to be as its for the Gree faction).

And that is an important point, from what we know so far this is not a PvP event, its an event that is being placed in a PvP area. The event is about facing a PvE foe in the Gree spaceship and gaining Gree Reputation which is also PVE content.

Goretzu's Avatar


Goretzu
02.04.2013 , 07:58 AM | #273
Quote: Originally Posted by Arlbo_Nabbins View Post
How many times does this need to be repeated? People do join PvE servers because they DO NOT WANT TO TAKE PART IN OPEN WORLD PvP.

People who have chosen that should not be forced to take part in Open world PvP if the content is aimed at PvE progression (as this seems to be as its for the Gree faction).

And that is an important point, from what we know so far this is not a PvP event, its an event that is being placed in a PvP area. The event is about facing a PvE foe in the Gree spaceship and gaining Gree Reputation which is also PVE content.
Ilum is supposed to be part of the RvR relaunch, so it is likely be PvP (I'd say certain to be - but Bioware EA have a track record of not living up to promises, unfortunately ).

If it's not then fair enough I don't see (then) why it would be a PvP zone, but more worrying is then they must have simply given up on RvR for SWTOR altogether.

But really "Gree" has nothing to do with whether it's PvP or PvE or not really, but I wouldn't want to see PvP to PvE as it is a pointless mixing of ideas.
Real Star Wars space combat please, not Star Wars Fox! Maybe some PvP and flight too?
Goretzu's Law: As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving "Entitled" approaches 1

LanceCorporalDan's Avatar


LanceCorporalDan
02.04.2013 , 08:01 AM | #274
Quote: Originally Posted by Arlbo_Nabbins View Post
How many times does this need to be repeated? People do join PvE servers because they DO NOT WANT TO TAKE PART IN OPEN WORLD PvP.

People who have chosen that should not be forced to take part in Open world PvP if the content is aimed at PvE progression (as this seems to be as its for the Gree faction).

And that is an important point, from what we know so far this is not a PvP event, its an event that is being placed in a PvP area. The event is about facing a PvE foe in the Gree spaceship and gaining Gree Reputation which is also PVE content.
If it is in pvp zone, I would consider it a pvp event. I understand your point but don't neccisarily agree with it is all. An MMO has all aspects of the game in it, just because you are on a PVE or PVP server doesn't mean that's all that should be offered.
Neves - 55 Vanguard
Dahkaras - 55 AssassinKeelaran - 55Juggernaut
Kalkaran - 55 MercenaryKallim - 55 Operative

LanceCorporalDan's Avatar


LanceCorporalDan
02.04.2013 , 08:07 AM | #275
Quote: Originally Posted by Goretzu View Post
I've done everything there is to do in MMORPGs, and organised PvP (and especially RvR) is by far the most fun you can have in an MMO.

You should give it a try.
This post is one of the few I have found to 100% agree with on any forum ahaha.
Neves - 55 Vanguard
Dahkaras - 55 AssassinKeelaran - 55Juggernaut
Kalkaran - 55 MercenaryKallim - 55 Operative

Arlbo_Nabbins's Avatar


Arlbo_Nabbins
02.04.2013 , 08:12 AM | #276
Quote: Originally Posted by LanceCorporalDan View Post
If it is in pvp zone, I would consider it a pvp event. I understand your point but don't neccisarily agree with it is all. An MMO has all aspects of the game in it, just because you are on a PVE or PVP server doesn't mean that's all that should be offered.
But its not all that is offered. On a PvE server people could still flag for PvP while doing the event if they want to. On a PvP server it would be PvP. But on a PvE server PvP is something that should only ever be optional, auto-flagging should not happen for a event as making it obligatory PvP goes against the reason people do decide to choose a PvE server. That excludes players from the event in a game that is allows players to choose to make PvP completey optional.

Goretzu's Avatar


Goretzu
02.04.2013 , 08:19 AM | #277
Quote: Originally Posted by Arlbo_Nabbins View Post
But its not all that is offered. On a PvE server people could still flag for PvP while doing the event if they want to. On a PvP server it would be PvP. But on a PvE server PvP is something that should only ever be optional, auto-flagging should not happen for a event as making it obligatory PvP goes against the reason people do decide to choose a PvE server. That excludes players from the event in a game that is allows players to choose to make PvP completey optional.
You simply cannot have optional flagging in a PvP zone with PvP events, the explotation factor would be monsterous.

Even in LOTRO which is a totally PvE game, when you go to the monsterplay zone you are "flagged".


Again there have been a few totally PvE servers in a few games and they weren't very popular.
Real Star Wars space combat please, not Star Wars Fox! Maybe some PvP and flight too?
Goretzu's Law: As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving "Entitled" approaches 1

LanceCorporalDan's Avatar


LanceCorporalDan
02.04.2013 , 08:53 AM | #278
Quote: Originally Posted by Arlbo_Nabbins View Post
But its not all that is offered. On a PvE server people could still flag for PvP while doing the event if they want to. On a PvP server it would be PvP. But on a PvE server PvP is something that should only ever be optional, auto-flagging should not happen for a event as making it obligatory PvP goes against the reason people do decide to choose a PvE server. That excludes players from the event in a game that is allows players to choose to make PvP completey optional.
But the fact remains it IS a PVP event catoring towards PVP'ers on all servers. Just as other events catored more towards PVE'ers.
Neves - 55 Vanguard
Dahkaras - 55 AssassinKeelaran - 55Juggernaut
Kalkaran - 55 MercenaryKallim - 55 Operative

MelodicSixNine's Avatar


MelodicSixNine
02.04.2013 , 09:07 AM | #279
Quote: Originally Posted by Arlbo_Nabbins View Post
If its PvP gear with expertise
Just because item doesn't have expertise it doesn't mean it can't be a reward for defeating other players. Items without expertise(mounts, shells, pets etc) are not exclusive to PvE.

TUXs's Avatar


TUXs
02.04.2013 , 09:53 AM | #280
Quote: Originally Posted by Arlbo_Nabbins View Post
But its not all that is offered. On a PvE server people could still flag for PvP while doing the event if they want to. On a PvP server it would be PvP. But on a PvE server PvP is something that should only ever be optional, auto-flagging should not happen for a event as making it obligatory PvP goes against the reason people do decide to choose a PvE server. That excludes players from the event in a game that is allows players to choose to make PvP completey optional.
It is 100% optional. IF you enter the auto flag zone, you WILL be accepting that PvP can/may happen. Just because you PvE only, doesn't mean you're entitled to skip PvP events to gain PvP rewards (rewards being armor, mounts, pets etc).
All warfare is based on deception If his forces are united, separate them If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near A leader leads by example not by force
My referral code: here What you get: here (1 FREE transfer 7-day FREE sub FREE Jumpstart and Preferred Bundles)