Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

why are people freaking out about Ilum in 1.7?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
why are people freaking out about Ilum in 1.7?

Leonick
01.31.2013 , 12:08 PM | #121
Quote: Originally Posted by darklordpotter View Post
Perhaps there is this huge amount of content I'm missing?
Nope, there isnt. The only areas that automatically flag you for PVP (assuming you're not on a PVP server that is) is the western part of Ilum, the Outlaws Den on Tatooine and some (but not all) bases beloning to the opposite faction, none of these areas have any PVE missions in them.
My Characters on the Progenitor
Raiah - Jedi Consular (Sage), Nesalia - Smuggler (Scoundrel)
Guild: The Kestrel Minority

TUXs
01.31.2013 , 12:11 PM | #122
Quote: Originally Posted by Danbuterx View Post
I LIKE PvP. I don't like open world PvP where, just as I'm fighting some nasty mob, an idiot runs by and zaps me so I die. Or, if the world is going to be open world PvP, have there be NO aggro mobs, at all.
That's silly. Mobs that aggro mobs are fantastic filler for unbalanced factions in PvP. I've never played an MMO that had "balanced factions". They allow hugely unbalanced fights to be semi competitive. If you don't like it, don't go to Ilum.
All warfare is based on deception If his forces are united, separate them If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near A leader leads by example not by force

My referral code: here (what you get here)

TUXs
01.31.2013 , 12:14 PM | #123
The point is they are seem to be suggesting that they are putting PvE content in areas that flag for PvP on PvE servers if it was just PvP servers no-one would care.
Right. They are (seemingly) adding PvE missions in a specifically PvP area (despite server type). That doesn't entitle PvEers to the content without the PvP aspect. If you want to do the content, accept that it's an open world PvP area. PvE missions in a PvP area are good for down time in PvP and great at helping spread around players (something this game engine needs).
All warfare is based on deception If his forces are united, separate them If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near A leader leads by example not by force

My referral code: here (what you get here)

darklordpotter
01.31.2013 , 12:17 PM | #124
Quote: Originally Posted by Leonick View Post
Nope, there isnt. The only areas that automatically flag you for PVP (assuming you're not on a PVP server that is) is the western part of Ilum, the Outlaws Den on Tatooine and some (but not all) bases beloning to the opposite faction, none of these areas have any PVE missions in them.
Didn't think I was thank you.

darklordpotter
01.31.2013 , 12:20 PM | #125
Quote: Originally Posted by TUXs View Post
Right. They are (seemingly) adding PvE missions in a specifically PvP area (despite server type). That doesn't entitle PvEers to the content without the PvP aspect. If you want to do the content, accept that it's an open world PvP area. PvE missions in a PvP area are good for down time in PvP and great at helping spread around players (something this game engine needs).
Right so all the carebears (like me) then skip the content. How does that help exactly? It just reduces the amount of people who will do the content for arbarity reasons (like requiring HM and PvP for HK-51 content most likely to be used by people interested in neither of those things).

Defecter
01.31.2013 , 12:22 PM | #126
As long as they don't put any critical PvE content (story, companion quests, etc) in PvP areas, I don't really see the problem. I'm very much a PvE player and only dabble in casual PvP when I feel a bit bored and I don't have any problem with this. I probably won't see all PvE content on Ilum, but I can accept that as it's not like there's a big lack of PvE content elsewhere.

Actually, I even think it's a good way to attract people who enjoy both PvE and PvP equally. As long as they don't change the entire levelling process this way, it doesn't really harm anyone besides missing a tiny part of the (non-critical) PvE content compared to the whole game.

So no, this PvE-centric player is not freaking out.

oslek
01.31.2013 , 12:24 PM | #127
Quote: Originally Posted by Alavastre View Post
So don't do it then. Problem solved. 1.7 is an obvious attempt to encourage open world pvp. If you are a PVE'er you don't own the rights to every PVE item in the game.
This right here. Just because there's a quest chain that involves NPc's doesn't mean it's meant for PVE only people. If you don't like PVP, then avoid the western part of Ilum. You're ALREADY avoiding it now.

Shwarzchild
01.31.2013 , 12:28 PM | #128
How is Illum a strictly PvP planet? It has a section dedicated to PvP, but so do other planets. We aren't saying they are strictly PvP planets. Last time I checked all of those planets also had PvE content thus none of them are strictly PvP nor PvE. Also, where is the information that outlines exactly what's in the world event? From what I've seen from the updates, nothing has been given on the exact composition of this new world event. So basically, everyone is talking like they know something when they know nothing. Hooray ignorance!

Darka
01.31.2013 , 12:28 PM | #129
Sometimes a company will release something and it wont be catering towards you, doesnt mean the company is wrong, bad, have no idea what they are doing because you do not like it.
Its like this every update, the group that is not catered too get all outraged over the fact they focused on something different,

With that said some of the argument here feels like the people who would yell and scream at the TV for "showing" a program they didnt like on the channel they are currently watching after reading it would be on at that time while refusing to change the channel with the remote in their hand.

oslek
01.31.2013 , 12:33 PM | #130
Right so all the carebears (like me) then skip the content. How does that help exactly? It just reduces the amount of people who will do the content for arbarity reasons (like requiring HM and PvP for HK-51 content most likely to be used by people interested in neither of those things).
There is people who don't take part in flashpoints, operations and heroics because they can't stand them. Yet you don't see them freaking out because HK requires you to do flashpoints.