Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Guarding the Healers

RikuvonDrake
01.18.2013 , 04:45 PM | #61
The one and only time I put guard on a healer is when I do a random flashpoint with a friend as a healer, then I don't want him to die and I don't give a damn about any of the DPS. It's not like holding aggro in a flashpoint is any challenge for a tank that knows how to play. However when I que alone if GF I look at the different DPS and guard the one I assume is going to have the highest threat generation, because he will take aggro from one or two adds in large packs regardless of what I do.
Deposer of The Dread Masters - Gate Crasher - Conqueror of the Dread Fortress
Not Good Enough | Rikacha - Rikachu - Rikachi - Rebel Dream | Riku
Ruthless | Susannah - Fauna - Wildthorn - Krewel - Montör
Bloodworthy - Tomb of Freedon Nadd

Khevar
01.18.2013 , 05:06 PM | #62
Quote: Originally Posted by mikebevo View Post
No clue what server you are on, but if it is The Harbinger, you always have a healer willing to go with you. I hate when people guard me even in those few times in Ops when guarding the healer actually helps. I never say anything, but I hate guard on the healer. No clue why.

Also now I really don't care if the tank and the dps let the mobs attack me, but where were you when I was a lowly fresh 50 healer and didn't have the gear/knowledge to fend for myself?
LOL. I was probably a lowly fresh 50 dps doing a terrible job and wondering why I kept wiping at the shielded turrets in False Emperor

IAmViiOLENT
01.18.2013 , 09:47 PM | #63
See, thing I hate about that "use your aggro drops and you'll never have a problem!" argument, is that as a combat sent/carnage mara, almost half of your damage is fit inside of a 4.5s window. I can drop aggro the first time I take aggro, and if they're a bad tank, continue to continually rip their aggro at every gore window... as you can imagine, its quite aggravating. "GUARD DA HEALER HURR DURR"

No.

sripakdee
01.18.2013 , 10:40 PM | #64
As a healer id say. if the groups dps stink, by all means, guard the healer, it aint gonna do any good anywhere else so you might aswell. But if you get a group where the dps actually know what they are doing. please, guard the dps most likely to pull off the tank. the more targets the tank sucessfully tanks, my job as a healer gets easier.

This being said, I will often make my opinion known to tanks that guard me since as a general rule i find it a tad useless in Hm FP. I did have this discussion with a tank once, and damn that fellow got really quite pissed as me. Thing that fellow didnt realize though is, there is only 3 ways I, as a healer, can pull off a tank (maybe a few more i cant be arsed to remember).

1. I **** up and put my heals down too early and get threat on targets before the tanks get the chance.
2. i use cc too early and get aggro from pulling (ie i **** up)
3. the tank blows and tanks 1 target at the time. wont take long for me to get aggro in that case (provided the dps dont help ofc)

In essence. as peeps have been saying all along. In most cases guard the DPS, please. (ofc, if you can hold aggro without guards, this thread isnt meant for u in the fist place )

however, when im tanking with a guild healer. My rulebook might change, just to troll them
Guildmaster of Exit Area @ The Red Eclipse

DarknessInLight
01.19.2013 , 11:19 AM | #65
Quote: Originally Posted by sumuser View Post
As a tank I always guard the healer... Not because I think that's a good use of my guard but because I'm just sick and tired of dps'ers telling me, "don't need the guard bro put it on player x".
The whole point to Guard is to drop threat on a specific player. Most of the time, that player is going to be the DPS with the largest amount of health. If, as a healer, you need to be Guarded, either you're doing something wrong, or the tank is.
Jedi do not fight for Peace. That's only a slogan, and is as misleading, as slogans always are. Jedi fight for Civilization, because only Civilization creates Peace. - Jedi Master Mace Windu

thomasbaxter
01.19.2013 , 03:01 PM | #66
I'm a healer and don't get why I'd need a guard when I just put one on myself. I use the guard for when a team mate's health starts to plummet and I can't keep the heals up lol. Buys me time.

Khevar
01.19.2013 , 04:07 PM | #67
Quote: Originally Posted by thomasbaxter View Post
I'm a healer and don't get why I'd need a guard when I just put one on myself. I use the guard for when a team mate's health starts to plummet and I can't keep the heals up lol. Buys me time.
Guard is a tanking ability:
http://www.torhead.com/ability/dtjFr6u/guard

You're thinking of Force Armor:
http://www.torhead.com/ability/7f44Gd0/force-armor

thomasbaxter
01.19.2013 , 04:28 PM | #68
Sorry beg ur pardon lol. That said the fact I didn't know the diff only shows more that I've never needed it

CommanderKeeva
01.19.2013 , 05:19 PM | #69
Quote: Originally Posted by NotRonin View Post
When you're queuing up for random HM flashpoints, I would guard the person who is best geared, even if it's a healer. Most HM FP are tuned for around 300-400 hps, which is less than 1/3 of what a healer can heal, and they'll be spending the other 2/3 of the time DPSing.
This happened to my Scoundrel healer once in False Emperor. Had a really ****** tank and two very badly geared DPS. I put SRM on the tank, then started damaging the boss, pulled aggro right off him. Used Surrender, then pulled aggro again 5 seconds later.

Sometimes healers are the best DPS because they can keep the group alive while tanking the boss.
BEING A GOOD SOLDIER COMES DOWN TO ONE THING, ONE SINGLE QUESTION:
WHAT ARE YOU PREPARED TO SACRIFICE?

sumuser
01.19.2013 , 08:49 PM | #70
Quote: Originally Posted by thomasbaxter View Post
I totally agree man. But the players I find in HM FPs have a very different game IQ then many of you guys. I throw my guard on the mara / assassin / jugg I get the, "don't worry about me bro, put the guard on the guy wearing tionese". Now, I know and you know guard is about reducing threat so the guy who hits the hardest (especially maras) benefit from guard. But I don't give two craps about having to explain that in a FP that I could 2-man with companions. So, I just guard the healer and everybody smiles.
Jedi Covenant
Apotheosis | lvl 50 | Bounty Hunter
Utnapishtim | lvl 50 | Sith Warrior