Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

BW response about addons? Please answer, BW

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
BW response about addons? Please answer, BW

Negatroll
01.16.2013 , 09:05 AM | #1
I may be missing something, but I've seen a couple of threads asking about addons being allowed in the game. However, I haven't seen anything from BW themselves. If they've released a statement RECENTLY, please correct me on this. I've probably overlooked an entry or a page somwhere. Thanks

Tumedus
01.16.2013 , 09:09 AM | #2
As much as I would love add-ons do you really think BW could handle building and maintaining an open API without seriously lousing it all up? Call me a skeptic, but I would be amazed if this ever happens.

MillionsKNives
01.16.2013 , 09:16 AM | #3
Why does the response need to be recent? Do they have to reaffirm everything they've stated in the past every two months, just because what they said previously is no longer "recent"?

And if there are already "a couple of threads" about this then what reason would you have to make another?

Eurynamous
01.16.2013 , 09:43 AM | #4
TBH this game is simple enough that it doesn't even need them, you can customize your UI placement already, there are dps and threat charts already. There is an inventory sorting system implemented just recently and there isn't much more that people really need. If you're thinking about lame things that assist in raids and warn you when something is about to happen like DBM... I would say, it's easy enough that you can skip noob assist and learn the boss fights.
The Red Zone
Amadus Starcrusher
I will take your light, force you into darkness and give you true freedom and power

Quraswren
01.16.2013 , 09:54 AM | #5
I'm Ok with not having addons.

Sure there are a few I would like to have bank addons, map addons, mail and GTN stuff but there are so many combat addons that need to be left out in every way.

Even as much as I would love to have a mouseover macro (sure its a little different than addons) it means my healing output is going to increase from it. Meaning BW will start to turn encounters for having the increased output.

I can see the same thing happening with combat addons. Things like DBM that increased the response time of players and a whole host of others WOW started designing encounters around. It hurt the players that couldn't run them or had trouble with them or didn't have them at all.

I'm good with addons not being there even though I can see "pros" for having them (and macros) but the cons really start to outweigh the pros and for a game like SWTOR that needs a lot more growth in other areas.

Leave them out for now.

Llama-Eight
01.16.2013 , 09:58 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Eurynamous View Post
there are dps and threat charts already.
Where is that (live, rather than after the fact by parsing your combat log)?

Onrush
01.16.2013 , 10:06 AM | #7
Please Bioware do not give in and allow add-ons. I hate how they became mandatory in WoW. I quit WoW for many reasons. SWTOR doesn't need to be more like WoW.

Draksen
01.16.2013 , 10:10 AM | #8
I prefer not having add-ons.
Major Krypho Kallistis, Commando d'assaut
Krypso Kallistis, Jedi de la République Galactique
Krypto Kallistis, Capitaine contrebandier et Corsaire
Battle Méditation RP-PvE / EU - français

Eurynamous
01.16.2013 , 10:12 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Llama-Eight View Post
Where is that (live, rather than after the fact by parsing your combat log)?
Mox is your best bet, it's real time and goes off your logs as they're updated.
The Red Zone
Amadus Starcrusher
I will take your light, force you into darkness and give you true freedom and power

Jedirep
01.16.2013 , 10:14 AM | #10
I just wish they would let us change the color of the UI itself. The light blue is getting kind of old, plus it doesn't fit my sith characters
Server: Jedi Covenant. The Poindexter legacy.

Feskondo, Jedi Knight 50 Mulgiss Sith Sorcerer 50 Jaffus Mercenary 50 Fod'krodi Scoundrel 46