Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

I am your key demo... and you're losing me.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
I am your key demo... and you're losing me.

DarthSylar
01.16.2013 , 01:00 PM | #71
Ok first thing, now wasn't the time to do a full scale expansion with another chapter of class stories. World of Warcraft was a about two and a half years old before they released a full scale expansion, and SWTOR will be about 1.5 when Makeb hits.

A full expansion in this game likely means another charpter which includes at the very least, 10 levels of content, 3 more planets to explore, a new daily area or two for level 60s and 2 new ops (with 2 tiers of difficulty) and 2 new tiers of gear. At that point, the 4 current ops will be obsolete and frankly Bioware isn't ready to do that. Dread Guard gear is roughly equal to the gear you would get at 63. Pushing the level cap to 60 this early (because an entire chapter of class stories done correctly would recquire this) without the end game content to support it would be a huge mistake and could likely kill the game.

Now, I was under the impression, that Makeb was suposed to set up the chapter 4s for each faction and thus the individual class stories weren't needed yet. Furthermore, I'm willing to bet before the game hit hard times, the had much of chapter 4 wriiten out for each class, and that isn't something they will just discard. Be patient, more than likely we'll get class stories, but it was too early for individual stories.

TUXs
01.16.2013 , 01:17 PM | #72
Quote: Originally Posted by CosmicKat View Post
Who will be to blame when the game crashes and burns due to the novelty of the cash shop wearing out its welcome? Will it be the small percentage who skew the demographics and spend inordinate amounts of cash on nothing? Or will the blame fall on EA for identifying and milking that minority at the expense of the longterm health of the game?
Bioware of course. This is the fast cash scheme they've developed. You're right too...the end WILL come.
All warfare is based on deception If his forces are united, separate them If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near A leader leads by example not by force

My referral code: here (what you get here [FREE server transfer being a key perk!!])

StoleHearts
01.16.2013 , 02:01 PM | #73
While I agree with reskins of the same armor being a bad idea, complaining how much money you've spent on cartel packs, which in truth are a gamble at best, isn't a good way to solve the issue. They are viciously unfair, to be sure, but that's why you do your daily grind and buy them off the auction house instead of spending real money if you don't believe that luck is on your side. While someone in my guild has gotten at least 5+ white crystals, I haven't gotten a one. Unfair? Probably, but who keeps putting money into a 'broken' slot machine? That's your own damn fault.
Nothing takes the taste out of peanut butter quite like despair.

Karquile
01.16.2013 , 02:04 PM | #74
The bottom line is that guys like the OP are going to continue to leave the game, no matter how many forum geniuses sit around and sneer at his posts and bicker with each other.

The vital question for EA is whether enough of the F2P tire-kickers who are churning that extra 30-40% of the player count will stick around and subscribe, spend big on the CM, or both, to make up for departing veterans. If the answer's yes, the game marches on. If the answer's no, there's trouble ahead.

It's a serious question. That other game PandaQuest™ has thrived on churn for years - people are always leaving in a huff and being replaced by new blood. Maybe OLD REPUBLIC can do that. We'll sure see.
Welcome to the Public Test Server! / PTS Forum Guidelines
Friendly testing guilds to join: Primus (Republic) and Alpha (Empire).
Chat with other testers in-game: /cjoin Test
PTS Ventrilo server! gametest.typefrag.com port 23300

StoleHearts
01.16.2013 , 02:15 PM | #75
Quote: Originally Posted by Karquile View Post
It's a serious question. That other game PandaQuest™ has thrived on churn for years - people are always leaving in a huff and being replaced by new blood. Maybe OLD REPUBLIC can do that. We'll sure see.
F2P's of this game are going to have a high turnover rate anyway. We're getting back the people who quit the game months ago, if not just soon after launch, who were okay with paying the subscription beforehand but not now. Current subscribers are typically looking forward to or actively participating in raids/PVP with Cartel Packs being either bought with monthly coin stipends or off the GTN because we have coins to burn from daily grinds. While a good number of active subscribers are also buying packs out of pocket, I can say from experience of myself and other guild mates, that a lot of them are either buying items off the market individually and/or using credits for the gamble boxes. Comments aren't meant to snub the OP, but throwing in about spending $100 of dollars on packs sounds both snobby and unnecessary since that's not the only way to acquire them.
Nothing takes the taste out of peanut butter quite like despair.

Eurynamous
01.16.2013 , 03:06 PM | #76
The slot machine bags have got to stop, reskins need to drop in cost. They are gear pieces you can get for free, with different shades.

If they were to release a dye pack, that would sell exceptionally, especially at a not so stupid rate. The class stories need to return, in a big way and Makeb isn't the "expansion" to do it. If class story doesn't make an appearance by 2014, you can bet your *** that there will be a dip in player count.

People love this game and have hope for it, they just hate the state it is in and how there are no signs of improvement. It's only year 1, so it's not doom time yet.
The Red Zone
Amadus Starcrusher
I will take your light, force you into darkness and give you true freedom and power