Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Subbed for a month, won't be back

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content
Subbed for a month, won't be back

DaShuk
01.26.2013 , 04:01 PM | #51
Quote: Originally Posted by KariTalRathe View Post
Despite the fact I do love the game, I too recognise so many of the OP's complaints (and appreciate the humourous manner in which they were presented). Point 3 is particularly true. I don't think I have met a more xenophobic, rude, elitist bunch of gamers generally in any MMO I have ever played. To the many who say "all MMO communities are like this", you are so, so wrong. In every other MMO the only people on my ignore list were gold spammers, I cannot say the same here. Mind you, it isn't quite so bad now the community seems to have more or less accepted FTP gamers are here to stay (back in November, the mood was just...eek). And well, at least we don't have gold-sellers here.
Agreed, I'm not quite sure what it is, but the MMO community of SWTOR is down right awful compared to just about every other MMO I have played (WoW, Star Trek Online, City of Heroes, Champions, GW2, etc.) Probably the only reason I stay with this game is I have a friend who also plays and we are on about the same schedule and available to play at the same time and we have several "duos" of characters we have made where they work well together and we play through all the quests together. Makes it a lot more fun having one person you know knows what they are doing. We are able to do most of the Heroic 4s even with just companions and it makes the game a lot more enjoyable. Best example of the TOR community is to just log in and watch general chat every night, it's either a PMS war between players or some of the most idiotic banter going on that I have ever seen.

Nefla
01.26.2013 , 08:21 PM | #52
I love SWTOR, I think I love it so much because it's different from other MMOs (I've hated other MMORPGs I've tried such as WOW, FFXI, and a bunch of random f2p Asian ones) The things I like in video games are story, character building/development, companion interaction, dialogue choices, etc...and those things aren't the point in the MMOs I've tried before. Also for the first time I love playing with other people and not just irl friends. I think the way they did the flashpoints, and rolls for dialogue choice were really appealing. I also think maybe the game is easy for me because it's more similar to a traditional single player RPG than a traditional MMO? This thread HAS opened my eyes a bit though, and got me thinking I should try to actively reach out to and help new players. I didn't realize there were those having such a difficult/miserable time.

craic_fox
01.27.2013 , 02:20 AM | #53
Quote: Originally Posted by KariTalRathe View Post
And just where do you go with roleplay anyway when every character of the same class has the same personal story as your own? Can I roleplay this very personal story? Well no, because not only is it actually not personal at all, but discussing it means revealing spoilers for those who are behind me in an Act or plan to roll the same class one day.
Of all of the criticisms that can be made of this game, this is the one I agree with the most and struggle with the most. The 'story' is simultaneously TOR's greatest strength and its greatest weakness. It makes what is otherwise a rather bland, generic themepark MMO into something genuinely engaging. The stories draw you in and make your characters seem to have personalities of their own. They are the reason I play. But at the same time, every other player running around with the same companion as me is a jarring reminder of just how impersonal and passive the whole experience is. If my Khem Val is the last of his kind, how come there are five others standing around at the stim vendor? It's an immersion yo-yo.

The whole thing is such an awkward and uncomfortable marriage of singleplayer and multiplayer elements that at times the latter (i.e. other players) feel like an unwelcome intrusion. I'm glad to play on what is probably the quietest server of all but that's something I would not be grateful for in any other MMO. Much as I enjoy the stories that the game presents - and I really do think they did a great job - I can't help wishing that they had instead constructed a game that provided the mechanisms to create my own story.

lavendercat
01.27.2013 , 01:39 PM | #54
i just joined, and so far i really like the community.

i find it better on the rp server than the pvp server. its great to have a ciggie break and watch the chat, which is something i never did on wow.

JustStichit
01.30.2013 , 05:28 AM | #55
im pretty new to this game. i have a lvl 25 sin and few other low lvl toons. I agree it does feel like they push grouping up on you. I have had trouble getting quests completed due to not enough npcs. The space combat does feel pretty lame. you steer the ship but dont control where its going.(***) I do feel under powered when trying to do a lot of missions. The community for the most part on my server sound like a bunch of 12 year old *****s.
matter of fact i think a few posted before me in this thread.

flame away if you must. It doesnt make any ones opinion wrong. Just makes you sound like a know all stick in the butt nit picking looser.
sorry it i offended tried to keep this as PG13 as possible....or should i say PG12.

Texaboose
01.30.2013 , 11:20 AM | #56
Seems you've had a totally different experience from me. Bring this down to bad luck or totally different expectations I guess.

I found the story quest/world quests suitably tailored to my level and gear progression and have very little trouble soloing everything (minus heroics) until around level 45, where it was still "doable" but I had to plan better to overcome the mobs.

Crafting was a breeze as soon as you get the droid for your ship to make everything - the only downside being having to spend credits to craft something. It gets harder and longer to find the materials as you progress, but that's to be expected.

Socially, I've found the members to be more polite and social than WoW and GW2 (my sole other MMO experiences). The RP'ing has been mostly confined to whispers or group chat, so perhaps that's why you didn't see any on your RP experience. The comment of grouping being forced...well I guess? You ask for a group and get whoever comes. But I don't see how this differs from any other social game.

As for your final point of space battles being a disappointment, I saw the space part to be a mini-game to give you a different experience away from the main component. Yeah, it's linear as can be and not very engaging, but it's a mini-game so I don't expect too much. Would I like it to be more open and engaging? Sure. However, since it is a mini game I don't put much weight on the matter.

I would like to compliment you (not that you'll come back to read this, especially after so long) on a well constructed and thoughtful post though. Unlike the majority of "I quit, cos this sucks!" posts.

Telaan
01.30.2013 , 01:50 PM | #57
Having read a majority of the OP it is very very clear he's never played WoW before. The resource/kill stealing and general ****** attitude of players is in no way an anomaly in this game.

I agree the the community here is very poor. I got my shock when I transitioned from SWG to WoW several years ago. The community on bloodfin in SWG was by far the best community in any MMO I've ever played. We even have a facebook group to keep in contact with each other. The rivalries were mostly friendly and the players generally good at what they did. However, WoW was filled with bitter people who I honestly believed were using the MMO as their medium to communicate to the outside world their anger and sadness before killing themselves. In general: if you ask a yes or no question and seven people say "yes" and one says "no"....then "no" is most likely the real answer.

As far as content difficulty and grouping goes. This game does not push grouping anymore than any other MMO I've ever played. You can effectively grind to 50 without ever getting in or forming a group.....ever. Also, if you are having difficulty doing the solo content it is most likely your skill selections/rotations/gear.
Kype Lightwave/Telaan Lightwave -Pot5- "Pistols' RP Apprentice"
Telaan Lightwave Pre-CU Jedi Knight -JKO- Bloodfin
Master LS/Master Defender/Healing 2xxx/Enhancer xxx3

Etmistic
01.30.2013 , 03:43 PM | #58
1. It is far harder to level SWTOR than WoW. However, things have been getting easier with the Cartel shop. Best Example? At one point, Bioware actual gave people 30 days of gaming if they made it to 50. I know many of you will scream at the top of your lungs, Leveling is Soooo easy. Compared to WoW, it's not easy. This is actually one of the guy's main and repeated complaints.

Say what?? Swtor Is the easiest and fastest MMO I ever hit Max level in. When I first played WoW a year after it launched it took me 6 months to Reach Max level of 60.
If you think Swtor is hard to level you're doing it wrong.

WeadonismyMaster
01.30.2013 , 04:38 PM | #59
To quote Willy Wonka.... "No....wait.....don't go..........."

kirorx
01.30.2013 , 05:13 PM | #60
The leveling is the only thing worth playing.

I thought game was fun back when it first came out, but now I dont even know why i log in.

I love starwars and i can see a ton of potential but in reality, end game is just hanging out on fleet doing the same flashpoints you were doing over and over again months ago.

So if you don't enjoy the leveling, you are better off not bothering with end game because unless your just into the rinse/repeat gear grind then its not for you.

I come from SWG though, not WoW. So i am not the target audience here. I wanted something different from my starwars game.
Watch the Clowder of Cather in this video http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=j7uTcYvoEbU