Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Subbed for a month, won't be back

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content
Subbed for a month, won't be back

Icebergy
01.24.2013 , 09:10 PM | #41
Glorious exposition, Comrade!
Mikal'B, Battlemaster and Fleet Commodore of the Republic.
<Contraband Inc> 10/10 NiM, 4/4 NiM, NMP, 7/12 NiM, HM GF, 4/5 NiM, 4/10 HM
Jedi Covenant

Irxyyy
01.25.2013 , 12:29 AM | #42
I totally don't udnerstand how anyone can consider swtor levelling to be hard, especially in the extremely-easy-and-noob-friendly 1-20 range. Its close to impossible to die unless you try to solo heroics.
// believing is bleeding

antwillgreen
01.25.2013 , 12:31 AM | #43
Oh hey look another stupid rant about an idoit thinking hes special enough to tell us hes leaveing
Ya you can guess what finger i'll be having up at your idea of what the "Real Star Wars" is.

yfnoggin
01.25.2013 , 11:20 AM | #44
People are mistaking the fact that he knows how to string a sentence together in a nice way for actually having valid points. Don't get me wrong he has some valid points like people stealing mobs and loot boxes (the simulation droids on tython are the earliest example) and the lacklustre space combat(which I actually enjoy but I understand his complaint anyway).

However the only starter quest I had any problem with was that trooper one he describes, other than that I often find myself over levelled and over geared in the 1-20 level planets. Only heroics and flashpoints are a challenge as you have to know how to play your class to its role.

I won't go into too much more as people seem to have covered most of it, but the whole community issue he has is stemming from being too passive and waiting for others to start the conversations. I always start in any group by saying hi to everyone, from then all you need to do is keep talking, even if they are quiet to begin with eventually people will start talking with you. Just say simple things that people will want to reply to in order to get the ball rolling, like 'everyone know about need/greed?' It may not seem very friendly but once they reply you have your opening to start chatting, making jokes and having fun.
Pro tip: apologise and make a joke out of your slip ups, like forgetting to heal yourself(something I do way too often)

fylhuic
01.25.2013 , 12:07 PM | #45
I disagree with a lot of the op's statement. I have six characters, all republic side and i find they all have their own rythm, i enjoy them all so far, pve wise. Pvp wise some are easier then others. I also enjoy the storylines, love the fact u can make moral choices, alltho they are bit bland black/white. Gameplay is pretty much ok for me.
As to roleplaying...totally disagree there ...and that's what u get when u only play the game to lvl 20....u never went to the nar shadaa cantina on an rp server...in late hours there is lots of rp'ing there. Myself, i found a real nice guild that RP's two three times a week, with their own written side story, and that's not counting the visits in nar shadaa cantina.

I actually find the UI here a total failure...switching between several whispers?? non-existant. Quickbar setup possiblities. Guild window only allows inviting guildies inviting in group...how bout a whisper? UI in general leaves much to be desired on many many fronts

I do agree on the crafting topic ...having to log out and back in to get the right mission to send ur companion on is absolutely idiotic;

And i totally agree on the community topic. Ninja looting is standard in this game : i have seen guys admit on general chat they need on everything for worldbosses and i have seen that for myself that a LOT of ppl do need on everything, even on stuff that they absolutely cannot use (not even their companions). In one out of three FP's there is someone that needs on all...and i mean ALL, green blue, orange....ALL. I must be getting old but that kind of behaviour is appalling and shows a lack of acknowledging other people's existence. General chat....worse then wow, my ignore list in this game is completely filled. Only thing i can do is turn general chat off altogether.
Good thing that people that are on your ignore list wont be matched with you when you're in groupfinder.

If i wouldnt have found the guild im in i would probably do the same as the op

fylhuic
01.25.2013 , 12:46 PM | #46
Quote: Originally Posted by Darkkien View Post
I second that opinion why is it that ppl feel the need to complain to other random ppl on a board about not liking a game and then get mad when their post is criticized
of course, complaining about complainers is not considered complaining, is it?

ziphii
01.25.2013 , 07:04 PM | #47
Quote: Originally Posted by Irxyyy View Post
I totally don't understand how anyone can consider swtor leveling to be hard, especially in the extremely-easy-and-noob-friendly 1-20 range. Its close to impossible to die unless you try to solo heroics.

Oh I dunno... I've died from falling down elevator shafts, getting swarmed by 2 groups at once, some elite (gold star) npcs. I am not a complete idiot, but I probably don't use all my skills to the best of efficiency. I use several main ones all the time, and forget what the rest of them do. Especially if I haven't played that alt in a while. I don't think people are idiots if they get killed playing, but I don't think leveling is hard, either. About what I expected, I would say...

Totaltrash
01.25.2013 , 07:59 PM | #48
I can agree with OP on four things:

1. The crafting system is crude, tedious and (the useful part is) entirely dependent on endgame raiding.
2. Space combat on a rail is just archaic and boring, even if it looks good.
3. The swtor community is plainly vile, rude, ignorant and unwilling to help - at least for the most part.
4. Most guilds are really the way he describes them - elitistic or useless. Hard to find something in the middle.

Good thing, in swtor you don't need a community or a guild since practically everything can either be soloed or pugged - ofc, this might appear a little strange for an MMO but the social aspect is overrated anyway!

KariTalRathe
01.25.2013 , 08:41 PM | #49
Quote: Originally Posted by Totaltrash View Post
I can agree with OP on four things:

1. The crafting system is crude, tedious and (the useful part is) entirely dependent on endgame raiding.
2. Space combat on a rail is just archaic and boring, even if it looks good.
3. The swtor community is plainly vile, rude, ignorant and unwilling to help - at least for the most part.
4. Most guilds are really the way he describes them - elitistic or useless. Hard to find something in the middle.

Good thing, in swtor you don't need a community or a guild since practically everything can either be soloed or pugged - ofc, this might appear a little strange for an MMO but the social aspect is overrated anyway!
Despite the fact I do love the game, I too recognise so many of the OP's complaints (and appreciate the humourous manner in which they were presented). Point 3 is particularly true. I don't think I have met a more xenophobic, rude, elitist bunch of gamers generally in any MMO I have ever played. To the many who say "all MMO communities are like this", you are so, so wrong. In every other MMO the only people on my ignore list were gold spammers, I cannot say the same here. Mind you, it isn't quite so bad now the community seems to have more or less accepted FTP gamers are here to stay (back in November, the mood was just...eek). And well, at least we don't have gold-sellers here.

The fact so much of the game from 1-50 is single-player probably accounts for the lack of a good community. I do like to roleplay and chose a guild for that reason (despite point 3, lovely people by the way), but when someone was discussing their lunch-time plans while my Imperial Agent was undergoing a tortuous and poignant moment in their personal career story, I decided that SW:TOR and guilds are just not compatible. I already had GC off so as not to spoil my immersion and here I was having to listen to chat about pizza toppings while my poor character's life hung in the balance. And just where do you go with roleplay anyway when every character of the same class has the same personal story as your own? Can I roleplay this very personal story? Well no, because not only is it actually not personal at all, but discussing it means revealing spoilers for those who are behind me in an Act or plan to roll the same class one day.

"Game starts at 50" is a bit of a joke too when there are only 2 ops that I know of and half a dozen viable flashpoints. Love it or hate it, lets not pretend we are not just cycling through a very small amount of content day after day.

OP, I can't agree with you about the music (I loathe it ), but I do wish I had met you in game. You sound a lot of fun and I think you would have got along with the 3 people I met when I started back in November and sort of hang out with on a daily basis now we are all L50. I met a 4th tonight who I think will be joining our raggedy bunch of misfits, but that's a sorry amount for the 10 weeks I have been here. My ignore list on the other hand....

Darkkien
01.25.2013 , 11:28 PM | #50
Quote: Originally Posted by fylhuic View Post
of course, complaining about complainers is not considered complaining, is it?
Oh yea i sure am complaining... all I was doing was supporting the previous guys post, but if you think tht yur comment is truly worthwhile to the thread then good on you sir