Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Should I be affronted

ajfrankj
01.13.2013 , 09:24 PM | #1
It's like this, I'm British. While I don't live in G.B. I still think of myself as being British. The thing is The Republic is American and the sith have British sounding voices. The Sith are the bad guys in this game. Even though I play them.
Should I therefore be affronted that the makers of this game have used British sounding voices for the sith?

Bird_of_Thunder
01.13.2013 , 09:26 PM | #2
no, its something based on the fact that the Imperial high-ranking officers were British in episodes 4-6 (example: pretty sure Veers had a British accent).

and it really depends on your point of view for the Imperials being bad guys.
plus, it feels so good to be bad
Darth Ravvok
Carnage Marauder
<Ebon Hawk, U.S>

DarthSpooky
01.13.2013 , 10:36 PM | #3
Why should you be affronted that the cool guys have British accents? As an American, I'm mildly affronted by the Republic... Sith for life.

Akiviri
01.14.2013 , 12:54 AM | #4
Actually I think the Sith is a better representation of the American Government lol, in a caricature kinda way.

Anyway - I think the only reason they have that accent is because they are an empire. When people think of an empire they naturally think of the British Empire, and that ''noble'' sounding voice, along with the Hierarchy, just gets that point across better than anything else would. Not that the corrupt, rotting power structure is representative of GB.

Although in some ways the Republic might represent some American ideals - I kinda don't see us as that goody-goody. At least not since the Victorian era, and definitely not since the 60's & 70's lol.

In any event, there's massive skeletons in both closets here - I wouldn't bother to be affronted by a characterization, however accurate it was, made in a video game for a background based simply on an accent and borrowed titles. Unless you happen to agree with it of course - but then that's a whole other issue altogether.

internaty
01.14.2013 , 02:38 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by ajfrankj View Post
It's like this, I'm British. While I don't live in G.B. I still think of myself as being British. The thing is The Republic is American and the sith have British sounding voices. The Sith are the bad guys in this game. Even though I play them.
Should I therefore be affronted that the makers of this game have used British sounding voices for the sith?
Please tell me your kidding.
No you shoudnt be offended.

Just as i shoudnt be offended that people think:
Dutch people are drug addicting who loving hippies with big mouth and little brains(i dont even disagree with them)

Tropic 4 quete:
All countries say bad things about other countries and there all right.
knowledge is power.
use it well.

Good players take any and all advantages they can get, actually. It's why they are good.

_Darkstar
01.14.2013 , 06:45 AM | #6
If we are to be affronted it should be because the devs also included some Scottish and Welsh accents because they think we are the same place!
British by act of union, English by grace of God, Northern by pure good fortune!

hillltrot
01.14.2013 , 07:05 AM | #7
The fact that you are "affronted" as oppose to "offended", that you want to enforce your cultures beliefs on another's literature, and that you claim to be British says to me that the choice of accent they chose for the Imperials was spot on.

Wait! Let's start a letter writing campaign complaining about the portrayal of Americans in Downton Abbey! No, really, let's not.

Seriously, though. If you play the Imperials, you will see that they think of themselves as the good guys. They are not one-dimensional evil bastards. They just have a different government structure.

Tatile
01.14.2013 , 07:10 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by _Darkstar View Post
If we are to be affronted it should be because the devs also included some Scottish and Welsh accents because they think we are the same place!
Bioware should include more regional accents, not less. It's terribly classist, but they're using the stereotypical "British/BBC" accent for the officers, Moffs and II Agents with a smattering of regional accents as "oddities" which would represent a certain amount of upwardly mobile people in the lower classes, due to their ability and not necessarily due to born status.

I still think Bill Bailey should get to voice a Moff at some point.

GreatGizka
01.14.2013 , 07:39 AM | #9
If I recall correctly, English and American accents can be found on both sides in the original trilogy.
Obi-Wan is the most obvious British goodie but, don't forget Mon Mothma (taking a break from battling Godzilla) and of course, Threepio.
Likewise, in A New Hope, many lower ranking imperials, including storrmtroopers have american accents.
As a Scot who developed an English accent when we moved to Manchester when I was six, I don't really care about accents too much.
They're going there with their friends.

AlexDougherty
01.14.2013 , 08:12 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by hillltrot View Post
The fact that you are "affronted" as oppose to "offended", that you want to enforce your cultures beliefs on another's literature, and that you claim to be British says to me that the choice of accent they chose for the Imperials was spot on.

Wait! Let's start a letter writing campaign complaining about the portrayal of Americans in Downton Abbey! No, really, let's not.

Seriously, though. If you play the Imperials, you will see that they think of themselves as the good guys. They are not one-dimensional evil bastards. They just have a different government structure.
Affronted is not the same as offended, affronted is offended by the whole concept, it's a broader offense, a cultural broadside if you will. Besides we are allowed multiple words for the same thing, it would be a boring language if we all had to comply to american usage, or american's had to observe english usage.

On the subject of the thread, as a British person I am doubly offended, firstly that the Empire seems to be based on the English, and secondly that it's a mock up of southern accents, where's the Brummies and the Lancashire/Yorkshire accents, and could the have at least one scouser in Nar Shadaa, after all we get everywhere.
Peace can be found, above all passions. Through passion, I may gain strength.
Through strength, I may gain power. Through power, I may gain victory.
But for every enemy fallen, a new foe rises.
For every chain broken, new chains bind me. Only the Force can set me free.