Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

A case for a more robust preferred status

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
A case for a more robust preferred status

leojreimroc's Avatar


leojreimroc
01.13.2013 , 05:07 PM | #1
I'm going to attempt how many features that are currently lacking for preferred status members would greatly help our game experience. These suggestions, imo, would benefit bioware in the end with greater revenues.

1-Support for cartel purchases

This is quite simply a no-brainer. If I buy something with money from the cartel market, and it bugs/doesn't work, I was customer support in order to fix it, period. It has happened to me, and I had to go to great trouble in order to fix it. I won't post all my steps here, but after 2-3 weeks, I finally got someone from bioware to respond to my complaints and fix the issues.
It's simple really, if someone buys something from a company and it doesn't work, and they don't fix it, they will stop purchasing things. It's really that simple.
Also important to note is that support should also go to people who buy cartel items for credits. If my brother buys something with money, and sells it to me for credits, and it doesn't work, I will no longer buy things for credits, and my brother won't be able to sell his items that he bought for real money. In either case, the company is making money because someone is spending money

(In passing, I think it's also good business sense to provide support for any game issue for preferred members. Making your customers happy will keep them spending. But support for cartel purchases is a minimum.)

2-Death tax (medical probes)

Preferred players should be able to buy a permanent unlock for medical probes. Right now, at the current cost it's $1 per death. Most games with death taxes usually suffer because of it. Mind you, this game does have a free way to respawn, but it can be quite bothersome. I play a healer. If I die with a group in the middle of mobs, not only do I have to run all the way back, but my group also has to wait for me (this is if they can't res me).

I'm quite sure this would be a great revenue generator for Bioware, as I'm sure that they can't be selling a lot of the 5 packs of medical probes (I could be wrong of course). Suffice it to say that the permanent unlock for probes would be a best seller as everyone would buy one for their accounts.

3-Credit cap (as well as commendation cap)

There should be a way to unlock the credit cap permanently. There are many ways to get around the credit cap so that it being there is just a hassle. Once again, selling a permanent unlock is a great revenue generator for the company as everyone will buy it.

The commendation cap is also a hassle. The more expensive vendor items we can't even buy, and while leveling on a planet, we have to stop questing to empty our commendations. A needless hassle imo, especially when BW can turn this into a money maker by selling an unlock.

These are three things that I think would bring the preferred option to the next level for this game. I think they should be seriously considered.

"But why don't you just subscribe?"
Ah, a good question. People have their reason for not subscribing. Mine, well I just bought every unlock available in the store. Why would I spend that much money to unlock everything, just to pay a subscription in the end. I'm just not going to do that. I'm posting here because I bought the expansion, and I got the sub for a month (instead of paying $20, it's $15 sub and $10 expansion). I will not renew, but I will buy everything in the store that's for sale. I'm sure there are many others who are like me and making our gaming experience better can only be profitable for BW in the long run.
.

Tsillah's Avatar


Tsillah
01.13.2013 , 05:15 PM | #2
Since I pay a sub I don't always know how f2p/preferred stuff works.

What is this death tax you talk about? Is it that you can't self ress on the spot? Aside from heroics, there are no group activities where you are allowed this anyways, In fp's and ops you need to be ressed or go back to start anyways.

I can sort of understand your point but on the other hand I've played quite a bit (7 level 50s) and I never needed self ress as you describe. I guess I just don't see why you would need this option so often.

Support takes weeks for subs as well, so don't feel like you are getting shafted there much. I get replies from their CS at the earliest a week after sending it through.

The credit cap is annoying but I think it is in part also a measure to disallow gold sellers to use free accounts to move large amounts of credits, so I get it on one hand but I also see the point why they have it.

However, for that point I do have an idea. Perhaps you could get a credit cap raise as you buy upgrades via the cash shop. It show you are a paying customer and if you buy lots of upgrades via real money (not the GTN) then a credit cap raise could be in order up to maybe 1 million or so if you buy a lot. Just an idea.
Because we do think in language. And so the quality of our thoughts and ideas can only be as good as the quality of our language.

lollie's Avatar


lollie
01.13.2013 , 05:18 PM | #3
This thread just tells me that subscribers aren't getting enough goodies to make staying subscribed seem worthwhile.

CAUTION: DO NOT LOAD SWTOR UNLESS YOU HAVE AFTER-MARKET COOLING INSTALLED!!

_______________________

Tsillah's Avatar


Tsillah
01.13.2013 , 05:23 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by lollie View Post
This thread just tells me that subscribers aren't getting enough goodies to make staying subscribed seem worthwhile.
I pay a sub and I am fine with that.

Aside from a lot of things that cost a fair bit of money in the cash shop to unlock, I also get sprint and speeders sooner, free respecs and a lot cheaper cost in removing mods etc.

I am happy to stay subbed.
Because we do think in language. And so the quality of our thoughts and ideas can only be as good as the quality of our language.

lollie's Avatar


lollie
01.13.2013 , 05:26 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Tsillah View Post
I am happy to stay subbed.
Yeah but people like the OP seem to think it's better and cheaper for them to unsub and buy things outright then has the audacity to ask for yet more stuff to sweeten their deal even more.

This indicates that staying subbed needs to offer more incentives (or unsubbing needs to offer less, that would likely be less preferable to the end of keeping the unsubbers around however).

CAUTION: DO NOT LOAD SWTOR UNLESS YOU HAVE AFTER-MARKET COOLING INSTALLED!!

_______________________

Ratajack's Avatar


Ratajack
01.13.2013 , 05:41 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by leojreimroc View Post
I'm going to attempt how many features that are currently lacking for preferred status members would greatly help our game experience. These suggestions, imo, would benefit bioware in the end with greater revenues.

1-Support for cartel purchases

This is quite simply a no-brainer. If I buy something with money from the cartel market, and it bugs/doesn't work, I was customer support in order to fix it, period. It has happened to me, and I had to go to great trouble in order to fix it. I won't post all my steps here, but after 2-3 weeks, I finally got someone from bioware to respond to my complaints and fix the issues.
It's simple really, if someone buys something from a company and it doesn't work, and they don't fix it, they will stop purchasing things. It's really that simple.
Also important to note is that support should also go to people who buy cartel items for credits. If my brother buys something with money, and sells it to me for credits, and it doesn't work, I will no longer buy things for credits, and my brother won't be able to sell his items that he bought for real money. In either case, the company is making money because someone is spending money

(In passing, I think it's also good business sense to provide support for any game issue for preferred members. Making your customers happy will keep them spending. But support for cartel purchases is a minimum.)

2-Death tax

Preferred players should be able to buy a permanent unlock for medical probes. Right now, at the current cost it's $1 per death. Most games with death taxes usually suffer because of it. Mind you, this game does have a free way to respawn, but it can be quite bothersome. I play a healer. If I die with a group in the middle of mobs, not only do I have to run all the way back, but my group also has to wait for me (this is if they can't res me).

I'm quite sure this would be a great revenue generator for Bioware, as I'm sure that they can't be selling a lot of the 5 packs of medical probes (I could be wrong of course). Suffice it to say that the permanent unlock for probes would be a best seller as everyone would buy one for their accounts.

3-Credit cap

There should be a way to unlock the credit cap permanently. There are many ways to get around the credit cap so that it being there is just a hassle. Once again, selling a permanent unlock is a great revenue generator for the company as everyone will buy it.

These are three things that I think would bring the preferred option to the next level for this game. I think they should be seriously considered.

"But why don't you just subscribe?"
Ah, a good question. People have their reason for not subscribing. Mine, well I just bought every unlock available in the store. Why would I spend that much money to unlock everything, just to pay a subscription in the end. I'm just not going to do that. I'm posting here because I bought the expansion, and I got the sub for a month (instead of paying $20, it's $15 sub and $10 expansion). I will not renew, but I will buy everything in the store that's for sale. I'm sure there are many others who are like me and making our gaming experience better can only be profitable for BW in the long run.
So, you bought every unlock in the store and now you want EA to give you three of the biggest benefits that subscribers have over preferred status players? Why should you have all of the biggest benefits of a subscriber without subscribing? If you want those benefits, you can have them, It's called subscribing.

You can say that you are willing to pay for the unlocks you want, but that's a smokescreen. You are offering a one time payment to get what others are paying $15 month to get.

leojreimroc's Avatar


leojreimroc
01.13.2013 , 06:13 PM | #7
The thing that you guys aren't seeing is that people who don't want to sub simply will not sub to MMOs. Medical probes and credit cap is not enough to sub, especially after spending a lot of money on the game for unlocks. Bioware will make more money if they offer these unlocks.

I know that this can make subscribers angry, but in the end, it's in bioware's best interest to offer these unlocks, for a price. After buying all of the other unlocks, subbing is not worth it. If they don't sell these, they won't get money for them.

Answer me this: After bioware has earned more than $100 for the unlocks that I have bought, why can't I buy the last few? So after spending more than $100, I need to sub? That would basically mean that I just lost $100, and it will just never happen. As people buy more and more unlocks, you will see more and more people buying a la carte. The unlocks posted in my OP are very standard for freemium games (which is what swtor is).

-edit-
I'm going to add something else. I don't see why there is hostility between preferred and subscription. Both are a way to pay for the game. Ideally, both payment methods should be around the same amount of cash -or- subscription payers should be given bonuses.
IMO, the model should aim to provide better benefits to subscribers instead of penalizing preferred players. Both types of players spend money, and both want a barrier free gaming experience. The subscriber has the bonus that they are never bothered with small purchases every week/month. They simply get everything and they don't mind paying extra for that. Ideally, they should also get loyalty bonuses. The preferred player gets the advantage of only buying what they want, and not renting content. Both type pay money. Ideally, both should have access to the full game, if enough money is provided.
.

lollie's Avatar


lollie
01.13.2013 , 06:15 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by leojreimroc View Post
After buying all of the other unlocks, subbing is not worth it.
Therefore they need to give subscribers something that will truly make non-subscribers want to subscribe or stay subscribed.

CAUTION: DO NOT LOAD SWTOR UNLESS YOU HAVE AFTER-MARKET COOLING INSTALLED!!

_______________________

ryathal's Avatar


ryathal
01.13.2013 , 06:20 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Ratajack View Post
So, you bought every unlock in the store and now you want EA to give you three of the biggest benefits that subscribers have over preferred status players? Why should you have all of the biggest benefits of a subscriber without subscribing? If you want those benefits, you can have them, It's called subscribing.

You can say that you are willing to pay for the unlocks you want, but that's a smokescreen. You are offering a one time payment to get what others are paying $15 month to get.
subs should be getting real benefits to keep subbing, preferred status should feel like a viable way to play without being treated like dirt. Currently neither is really true.

leojreimroc's Avatar


leojreimroc
01.13.2013 , 06:20 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by lollie View Post
Therefore they need to give subscribers something that will truly make non-subscribers want to subscribe or stay subscribed.
I edited my post above, but I will respond to this. They should do this by giving extra bonuses to subs, not by penalizing preferred. Giving extra toys, bonuses, titles etc etc to subscribers is one way. One example of course is the 500 cartel points. There are other example of rewards for subscribers. But penalizing preferred by not letting buy what they want to buy hurts the players, and in the end bioware. Rewarding certain players is always better than penalizing others. I guarantee you that they would see lots of sales from the above unlocks. On the flip side, these unlocks alone are not enough for a person to sub.

In the end, if there are 2 payment methods to play a game, it would be great if both payment methods could experience the full game. Preferred players WILL pay to unlock these features.
.