Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

PvP Guard Damage Mitagation

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Roles > Tanking
PvP Guard Damage Mitagation

MaDwurschT
01.24.2013 , 08:34 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by xGBox View Post
Let's say an enemy player deals 5000 raw, unmitigated damage from Smash. If the receiving player had Guard, 250 damage (5%) is automatically removed. Of the remaining 4750 damage, the player will take 2375 damage and the tank will take 2375 damage (50% split). Once the damage is split, both players will apply their damage mitigation to the incoming attacks separately and individually.

http://www.tankingtor.com/2012/05/sw...view-with.html
I can confirm that !
We tested it on Tatooine. The incoming damage is reduced by 5% and is then split into two separate parts. Both players (the one guarded and the tank) apply their own mitigation. This considers armor as well as defense (avoiding the dmg at all) and shield/absorb. Which also means that the attack can crit on both targets individually.
However, the "best" conclusion for me is that guarding a sage-healer or a merc-healer doesn't make any difference since it often felt that way.

Anyway, tanks are still too weak in PvP considering the amount of tech/force attacks in the game.

Thanks at OP and especially at xGBox for bringing this up and coming around with some actual facts
Donknatterton - Alles Hutten Ausser Mutti - Republik - Jar'Kai Sword
Streams & VoDs unserer RBG-Spiele auf www.twitch.tv/phrakk

MaDwurschT
01.24.2013 , 11:08 AM | #22
By the way, what we forgot testing is how taunt actually affects this process. If I taunt someone and he attacks my guardet mate, does only my mate get the 30% less damage or do we both benefit from it? Because if my own mitigation is applied to guard damage, does this count exclusively as an attack to my teammate (and therefor is aswell reduced by 30% to me) or as an attack to both me and him (in which case he'd get the -30% and I don't).

Satedbuffalo
02.05.2013 , 08:31 AM | #23
Someone sticky this, please.

xGBox
02.08.2013 , 05:43 PM | #24
MaDwurschT, I went back to Tatooine to test your query:

3. Where are Taunts factored into Guard damage? Is it:
  • 30% less damage to both the targeted player and the tank?
  • 30% less damage to the targeted player only?

I will be using Shiv for this test. Shiv is one-tick Tech damage.

Normal unguarded attacks to targeted player from Shiv:
979 average normal damage
1661 average critical damage

Taunted, unguarded attacks to targeted player from Shiv:
671 average normal damage
1169 average critical damage

There is about 30% damage reduction across the board. The tooltip of Taunt is indeed accurate!

Non-crit, Shiv on targeted player without Taunt:
Tank: 427 average
TP: 468 average

Standard split damage reduction. Tanks have more armor, thus less damage, etc.

Non-crit Shiv on targeted player with Taunt (1):
Tank: 427
TP: 331

Non-crit Shiv on targeted player with Taunt (2):
Tank: 419
TP: 319

Non-crit Shiv on targeted player with Taunt (3):
Tank: 428
TP: 322

These three attacks are where it gets interesting: It shows that the tank does not benefit from the damage reduction of Taunt through Guard damage, but the targeted player definitely does to the point where it consistently takes less damage than the tank. This means that Taunt damage reduction is calculated after the initial raw damage has been split.

Math shows that it has an additional damage reduction of around 30% as well when compared to a guarded attack without Taunt, which is consistent with the averages earlier in the post.
Sincerely,
Gearbox
The Software Legacy

MaDwurschT
02.09.2013 , 01:30 PM | #25
Nice, I really appreciate it

Another thing came to my mind which you might already know:
Is the 5% damage reduction from guard applied only if you're in guard-range (15m) or is it independent from range?
It's not that much of a deal but there'd be some ways of using this usefully. : P

Kitru
02.09.2013 , 02:23 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by MaDwurschT View Post
Is the 5% damage reduction from guard applied only if you're in guard-range (15m) or is it independent from range?
It's independent of range. The only range limited portion of Guard is the Player based damage transfer.
Walls of Text? I *love* Walls of Text!
My New Class Idea
Shadow Class Rep - Suggest/Review Questions Here
Quote: Originally Posted by Fende View Post
Listen to Kitru. Kitru knows all.

GHoppa
02.09.2013 , 06:10 PM | #27
I managed to round up a couple of friends last night, and re-confirmed alot of stuff already tested.

We also tested abilitys like a guardians "Guardian Leap", and that acts exactly the same as a taunt. We also for the sake of throughness tested tanks defensive cooldowns, like a shadows black-out (when specced), gaurdians warding call and focused defense etc. All which mitagated gaurd damage.

While we found shield chance and aborp also contritbute to mitagation taken through guard, we had some interesting results with defense.

When attacking the tank directly, as opposed to attacking the guarded player, he 'seemed' to dodge/parry consistantly more shots.

Weather this was only due to our small sample size, i dont not know. It worked out to about 12.5% dodged when we attacked the gaurded player, our tank had roughly 24% defense chance. At first it appeared like only a tanks base defense is taken into account for damage recieved via guard. But the more i think about this, the more i am unsure, and think that our sample size was too small.

Anyone else found a discrepancy between attacks defended/parried dirtectly and through gaurd damage?