Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Consular Story

Gekido
01.12.2013 , 08:56 AM | #1
I have noticed a lot of people condemning the Consular story and I can't understand why, am I missing something? I personally enjoyed Chapter 1, it's more of a behind the scenes story than, say the jedi knight story

Kitru
01.12.2013 , 03:26 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by Gekido View Post
it's more of a behind the scenes story than, say the jedi knight story
That's one of the reasons why. The Consular story is has more to do with the secret history of the Jedi Order than more overt objectives, which some people enjoy a lot while other people don't. The Consular story is one of the more polarizing: people either like it a lot or dislike it a lot. There isn't really much middle ground.
Walls of Text? I *love* Walls of Text!
My New Class Idea
Shadow Class Rep - Suggest/Review Questions Here
Quote: Originally Posted by Fende View Post
Listen to Kitru. Kitru knows all.

Gekido
01.12.2013 , 04:13 PM | #3
I guess your right but actions like that at the end of the JK story are negligible, he can be replaced where as the JCs actions are long term and will benefit the Republic for much longer

SoonerJBD
01.13.2013 , 11:25 AM | #4
The consular story just doesn't feel as epic, especially as it progresses. The JK is taking on the emperor while consulars are reduced to chasing down his minions. Our companions are also not as interesting.

I've played all four of the Jedi/Sith storylines, and the consular is the worst story. The Sith Warrior and Jedi Knight stories are both excellent. The Inquisitor story isn't much better than the consular.

Kitru
01.13.2013 , 11:44 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by SoonerJBD View Post
The consular story just doesn't feel as epic, especially as it progresses.
I personally felt it was more epic because you're doing diplomacy, gaining command of armies, and rooting out an unseen evil within your own ranks rather than getting together with a few other knights with an over-exaggerated opinion of themselves in an, obviously, poorly thought out plan to kill/convert the Emperor. It felt like you were actually accomplishing something, even if no one but you, your crew, and the Jedi Council would ever know about it. The Jedi story doesn't really have much nuance to it.

As to the companions, it's also a question of nuance. The Knight companions are relatively straightforward: the RD-D2 expy, Han Solo the doctor, the evil guy with a common goal, the "win-at-all-costs" soldier. The only character with any appreciable degree of nuance is Kira, mainly because she steals from the Consular story a bit (or adds to it; once again, your interpretation) and isn't just a stock character. Qyzen is definitely one of the more unique companions in the game, with a very interesting viewpoint; Tharan is a monumental perv that actively dislikes the force, being courageous, and destroying dangerous stuff, but runs around with you anyway, not to mention Holiday who is a character unto herself; Zenith is a guerrilla warrior that's involved in the politics and rebuilding of his planet with a nonstandard code of ethics to go with it; and Iresso is the world's unluckiest surviving soldier who has also been labeled as completely untrustworthy. The only Consular comp without an appreciable degree of nuance, as I see it, is Nadia because the only major facet of her character is "the innocent padawan", since the whole "diplomat" aspect of her backstory is ignored whenever she joins you.

But, like I said, it's a matter of opinion. The elements of story that make the Consular's interesting aren't really the elements that enthrall everyone. Of course, it doesn't have to. With 8 different stories and the impressive difference in theme and context when playing through as LS and DS means that the developers could write more specialized stories that weren't geared to appeal to absolutely everyone.
My New Class Idea

JMarchini
01.13.2013 , 11:52 AM | #6
The problem with Chapter 1 of the Consular story (and I guess the Sith Inquisitor story as well) is that you do the same thing for 5 planets:

Spoiler

I agree that the story picks up dramatically during Chapter 2 and 3, and ultimately, I thought it one of the better stories in the game.

Nythain
01.13.2013 , 01:29 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by JMarchini View Post
The problem with Chapter 1 of the Consular story (and I guess the Sith Inquisitor story as well) is that you do the same thing for 5 planets:

Spoiler

I agree that the story picks up dramatically during Chapter 2 and 3, and ultimately, I thought it one of the better stories in the game.
As opposed to the trooper who
Spoiler

Or the bounty hunter who
Spoiler

And lets not forget the smuggler who
Spoiler

Noticing a trend here. Almost everyone's Chapter 1 follows the same formula. It's not so much what you're doing but the story behind the why and the interactions with the environment during that make the story either groovy or not. I agree the Consular story is a little lacking in chapter 1, but i still prefer it over the Bounty Hunter and Smuggler.

SoonerJBD
01.13.2013 , 01:48 PM | #8
I see your point, Kitru. And if we were just comparing Act 1 and 2 from the JK story, I woulld agree. However, in Act 3....
Spoiler

Another complaint I had about the Consular story is that it relied on some twists that were pretty easy to spot a mile away.

As for companions, I will agree that T7 and Rusk are pretty boring. Doc is OK. At least as interesting as Theran. I actually like Doc more. Theran is annoying beyond belief. Kira is WAY more interesting than Nadia. And I think Scourge is one of the more interesting companions in the game. He certainly has a more interesting back story than most of the other companions for any class. Qyzen is OK, but the scorekeeper stuff gets old pretty quickly. Zenith was rather boring for my taste. Iresso has an interesting personality, and I like his character, but he doesn't have that interesting a story.

The real problem I have with the consular companions is we don't get anyone as interesting as Jaesa (Warrior) Scourge (Knight) or Khem (Inquisitor). They all have really interesting storylines and/or back stories.

SoonerJBD
01.13.2013 , 01:50 PM | #9
For what it is worth, Nadia is better than Ashara, the male Inquisitor romance option. She is a horrendous character.

Kitru
01.13.2013 , 02:39 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by JMarchini View Post
Most of the first acts can be described as the exact same thing: Knights track down 5 superweapons, Smuggler tracks down 5 deals, Troopers track down 5 traitors, etc. and the LS/DS options along the way don't make one whit of a difference mechanically. It's more of an RP thing, honestly. It would be interesting if, when you do the last mission in the Consular Act 1 finale, you got a debuff for every master you saved (probably countered by the presence of said masters you saved to help you out as a balancing factor or a buff to your companion that counteracts the negative effects), but it's unnecessarily complicated.
My New Class Idea